Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can you PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE just SHUT UUUUUUP!!!

(65 Posts)
Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 13:27:09

I am at home with DC3 (7) who has conjunctivitis. He is helping me with the housework and we are playing games in between and watching fun things on You Tube. But he won't stop talking, talking, talking, talking, talking. Just talking about everything and anything, quite often not even expecting an answer. Just talking...... AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

PLEASE BE QUIET FOR JUST FIVE MINUTES.

I can't even go to the loo in peace with out him following me and talking at me through the door. Why? Just why? I just want 5 minutes quiet. Please. Is it just too much to ask.

I'm really looking forward to going back to work tomorrow having to deal with parents who kids are not getting into our school this year as we are at capacity.

PoirotsMoustache Mon 12-May-14 13:57:05

I sometimes have the exact same problem with my DS, who is the same age. You absolutely have my complete sympathy. flowers If there was an earplugs emoticon, I'd be using it right now.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 14:03:25

You have yet to master the 'in through one ear, out through the other whilst pretending your listening' skill. What you do is... close your head. Focus on something else. Every now and again say something like 'really?' or 'yes, OK, sounds like a plan'.

Or give him something sticky to eat.

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 14:07:45

Thank you, am so glad I am not the only one. Even through his favourite programes it is yatta, yatta, yatta!

Why? why? why?

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 14:09:51

Lady after 3 boys you would think I would have mastered it by now but he is by far the worst of the three. He even asks me what he has been saying every now and then to check I am listening.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 14:10:09

I used to feel drained by the time ds went to bed. He's a teenager now so has hours of saying nothing. It gets better! grin

Lilaclily Mon 12-May-14 14:11:26

Just think in 5 years or so he won't be able to stand being in the same room as you

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 14:13:07

Yup, that's always a hazard. I taught mine to read early. It gave me hours of peace over the years. Could you try half an hour of your undisturbed attention, then he reads a book/watches a long cartoon? May be helpful for you to explain to him that he can't possibly concentrate on the movie if he's nattering.

spiderlight Mon 12-May-14 14:29:23

I have a 7-year-old who is exactly the same. he only ever talks about cars, trucks, Minecraft or Top Gear and it is incessant. I did a two-hour journey in the back of the car with him last weekend and when I got out at the other end my friend took one look at me and went 'Oh God - what's wrong?' Nothing, except that he hadn't drawn breath since we pulled out of our drive. In manageable doses he is very, very funny, but I'm naturally very introverted so he's come as a bit of a shock to the system - he started to sign at 6 months and talk at 9 months and he's not stopped since!

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 15:20:03

My 12 year old spends as much time in his room as he can possibly manage grin

I have tried all that Lady but he cannot get it though his head that quiet means not opening his mouth. He has so many ideas and fantastic things to say that they just need saying and he is going to say them whether any one wants to hear them or not.

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 15:20:55

He must be a very bright boy smile

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 16:02:45

He's something!!

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 17:48:13

Have you tried a science topic where he has to do a lot some research for himself? Something that school doesn't cover, like space? It should keep him quiet and get him thinking.

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 18:21:10

His big brother is doing space in year 3 atm and he has been fascinated by it all and looking things up and drawing them and printing it out and all the time as he is doing it he is chatting away to himself and anyone who is near him and if no one is near him he will read a fact and then hunt them down and tell them

"Did you know blah, blah, blah and if I could go there I wouldn't be able to breath but I could invent a special breathing thing but then I would also have to invent a ship that could go real fast so I could get there because it is too far from earth to get there while I am alive or I could go to sleep and wake up when I get there and I could do lots of experiments and build somewhere live and we would need water so I would have to invent a machine to make it and take seeds to experiment how they would grow and learn about the rocks and what the planet is made of and I might find a new animal and they could name it after me as I found if and I would be the first to find it......" and it goes on. This consciousness of thought that is amazing but it is all day from when he wakes up to when he goes to bed.

Fun conversation about glass elevators tonight :-/ Whose idea was it to read them Dahl?

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 18:47:24

Oh, he's a clever little sponge! I have one too, the questions can't wait as he just keeps thinking of more so forgets the first one! grin It does get better but children like this need teachers who will challenge them (it will help you at home).

In the mean time, I'd teach him about mum's coffee/cocktail/wine time. . You can't possibly be able to answer all of his questions if you're on the go all the time. Maybe it would help if he had a jotter to write his thoughts down rather than saying them out loud? It's draining but it will get better.

One day he'll come out with the theory behind time travel. There's great things ahead for him.

Georgethesecond Mon 12-May-14 18:51:11

I think at seven, he is old enough to be told that you need him to be quiet for ten minutes so you can think about something. He must be able to do it at school!

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 20:58:17

I think that's the problem, he has to follow the rules at school ( though we have had some 'interesting' parents evenings/reports grin )and when he is out of that environment he just lets it all go. He's not great at writing and it is something that his teacher and us are working on.

Thanks for letting me rant this afternoon ladies. It helped to get everything in perspective.

When I went in to check on him tonight before going bed he stirred and mumbled ' I love you mummy, you're the best mummy in the world. Thank you for looking after me today, you did a good job'. Before drifting off again. Makes it all worthwhile.

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Mon 12-May-14 20:59:23

Oh, and yes he does talk in his sleep grin

LadySybilLikesCake Mon 12-May-14 21:21:01

smile That's sooooo cute! Ds used to exhaust me with his questions. Then I'd watch him sleep and I'd forget how much work he'd been that day.

Youarejustwordsonascreenpeople Tue 13-May-14 04:22:55

And we are off to school this morning huzzah!!

Though his cough has got worse and I am expecting the school nurse to come and find me and tell me to take him home and I'm a bad mummy for bringing him to school.

I will go and get him some cough medicine when we finish this afternoon. His cough has gone from chesty to barky overnight.

ElephantGoesToot Tue 13-May-14 04:29:57

Good grief, you have the twin of my eight year old, as he was when he was seven.
The expression 'could eat an apple through a tennis racquet underwater' crossed my mind a few times. It does get better , but jeez, exhausting.

LadySybilLikesCake Tue 13-May-14 10:50:17

Oh, a bark is a sign of croup/laryngitis sad

My DCs talk almost all the time. When they aren't talking, they are hooting, squeaking, growling, singing, humming or roaring. WHen left in a room together, they shout, scream and bellow.

We also have an awful lot of conversations like this:
DC: Mummy...
Me: Yes?
Me: Yes, what is it?
Me: Do you want to ask me something?
Me (slightly strangulated tones): Yes?
DC: Ummmm, never mind.
Me: hmm

They just need to fill the silence - not that there is ever any silence left.

ghostmous3 Tue 13-May-14 11:07:42

My eleven year old dd is like that, shes always been a chattter box

verbal diarhoea constantly. I do tell her to shut it sometimes, and she looks at like hmm and carries on

We call it being stuck on auto-witter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now