Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

13 year old ds begging me to take the pain away from his knees.....

(46 Posts)
bizzey Sun 11-May-14 22:53:21

I know it is most likely growing pains as he says his ankles are achey as well and clicky . Calpol has been given but not helping.

Too late for a hot bath now ....ant help for a mum of a new teenager..actually he is 13 at end of month .

RudyMentary Sun 11-May-14 22:54:22

Nurofen would be better than calpol

Nicknacky Sun 11-May-14 22:55:16

Hot water bottle? Poor soul.

Forgettable Sun 11-May-14 22:56:13

Massage calves with vicks if you have some

Yes to neurophen

How about a hot water bottle between his knees?
And I'd definitely go for ibuprofen next time.

3littlefrogs Sun 11-May-14 22:56:43

If he is in that much pain I would take him to the GP.

Doe he have flat feet? That can be a cause of knee and ankle pain.
He might need a biomechanical assessment and possibly orthotics.

WildThong Sun 11-May-14 22:57:27

Oh, wee soul. Could you rub some warm oil into his joints? Even olive oil will work. I used to get this when young but grew out of it eventually, it's very painful.

TobyLerone Sun 11-May-14 22:57:32

You still give Calpol to a 12yo? Mine just take a paracetamol tablet confused

Although, tbf, they'd have my arm off for Calpol. They sniff it when I'm giving it to the baby.

justcrazy Sun 11-May-14 22:58:49

Ibrofen or paracetamol and maybe some cream on the joints. My son has suffered for the last few years with similar, dr diagnosed recurrent tendentious due to growing and when very bad he also wears supports on his ankles and knees.

gamerchick Sun 11-May-14 23:00:00

Could it be Osgood Schlatter Disease? It sounds impressive but my now 14 yr old was told he had it last year... they do grow out of it apparently.

I probably would take him to the GP though for a check up and make sure he's examined and not dismissed.

I would also say ibuprofen as well with a co codamol but probably wait a bit if you've given calpol.

Ragglefrock Sun 11-May-14 23:00:49

Osgood-schlatters? Fairly common and he's the right age group

bizzey Sun 11-May-14 23:08:26

Thank you for replies ....laughing at the tablet form TobyLerone getting all the last bits off the spoon is what makes it worthwhile ...if they cant be bothered to do that ,then they are still poorly !!!!

He is still moaning so might massage.

Cant do Ibroren due to Asthma

Just move hose so lucky to find a tea cup let alone a hot water bottle !

I don't think calpol is strong enough for a 13 year old in so much pain. I'd be going seeing the chemist and asking what they'd recommend, whilst making a GP appointment. Poor lad x

joyjac Sun 11-May-14 23:13:36

I was about to suggest Osgood Schlatter's also. Two of mine had it, particularly common in sporty kids from 11 or 12 on.

Shesparkles Sun 11-May-14 23:17:04

My ds has Osgood Schlatters and we got some helpful advice from the GP....the official advice was to use ice packs, but my ds being the contrary bugger that he is finds that Deep Heat spray works well for him...if he's sporty, take painkillers before the activity rather than after and a knee support whilst playing sport helped too.
I checked with the pharmacist and got age appropriate liquid paracetamol rather than relying on the 6+ Calpol as he can't swallow tablets.

PigletJohn Sun 11-May-14 23:20:37

surely at 13 he can take soluble Paracetamol?

lateSeptember1964 Sun 11-May-14 23:21:01

If he's sporty and of a tall slim frame there is a possibility of some hyper mobility. It might be worth a Physio assessment. In terms of pain relief he needs more than Calpol. I would suggest Paracetamol if he can't do ibuprofen. Other things that help are warm heat pads, hot water bottle, electric blanket or wheat blankets. Also topical cream such as Voltarol.
If he is quite unwell in addition to the pain please get him to a GP. My son spent last year complaining of pains in his ankles, knees and wrists. He is an extreme case but was eventually diagnosed with Crohns Disease.

puddock Sun 11-May-14 23:23:49

When you say asthma means no ibuprofen, would that also apply to ibuprofen gel? You can get it with levomenthol ("Deep Relief" is one brand name) and it's good for joint pain IME.

SandorClegane Sun 11-May-14 23:27:15

Just to point out that calpol is paracetemol so it would be dangerous to give both.

lateSeptember1964 Sun 11-May-14 23:30:26

Should have said Asthma and Ibuprofen is a cautionary advice. Many people with Asthma can and do take it. If its a one off to get over this tonight you may want to consider it

SistersOfPercy Sun 11-May-14 23:30:41

I had this. I'd cry it hurt that much. One night I was desperate I tied my dressing gown cord tight around my thigh to cut off circulation.
It went away in my twenties, came back in my thirties. I was fobbed off with growing pains and all sorts.
Finally, just before my fortieth birthday I changed GPS and was diagnosed with hypermobility ehlers danlos syndrome.

Hypermobility can leave your knees so excruciatingly painful you want to take a knife to your legs. Dd also suffers (it's genetic) but thankfully not as badly as I did.

See your gp again. Don't let them fob you of

DotToDott Sun 11-May-14 23:34:58

if it's too late for a bath could he have his feet in a basin of warm water for a while? even the heat travelling up his legs may help, a hot water bottle between the knees may releive it a bit too.

if it's unbearable and you've already given paracetamol could you get him a pain relief gel or similar if you have access to a 24 hour shop?

i'd suggest if the pain is this bad you should take him to GP when you can, DB had horrid pains in his knees when he was a teen and it turned out to be something called Osgood Schlatters.

BuzzardBird Sun 11-May-14 23:38:31

Vitamin d deficiency should be tested for.

EffectiveCommunication Sun 11-May-14 23:42:45

Another one here with similar experience of Sistersofmercy, alas unlike what LateSeptember says not all of us are skinny. Who ever said about orthotics earlier made a very good point.

Mrsantithetic Sun 11-May-14 23:47:20

Sounds like me growing up.
Finally got a diagnosis of hypermobility syndrome at 29 after refusing to believe it was growing pains when I haven't grown a millimetre since I was 13

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now