Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

what do your 6-7 year old dds play with ??

(25 Posts)
Zazzabeans Sun 11-May-14 17:41:51

my dds are coming up to 6 and 7in the summer and im racking my brains on things to get them.
They already have a 3ds and Samsung tablet each, aswell as scooter and bike and trampoline.
They have boxes full of barbies, lalaloopsys, sylvanians yet they are at their happiest with pens and paper playing schools grin
Im thinking of a pair of heeleys each and the oldest has asked for her ears pierced.
what do your dds play with at this age?

PluggyMug Sun 11-May-14 17:53:21

Why get them anything? If they have that much, don't play with what they have and seem perfectly happy? I'm not being facetious, and mine are younger so maybe it's not feasible at 7 but they get so many wrapped presents from friends and family. I try not to buy mine 'things' and do things instead - how about a membership for a local attraction that they love? Or a weekend away somewhere related to their interests? Or a term of an activity like trampolining? A first riding lesson?

BarbaraPalmer Sun 11-May-14 17:55:35

cinema vouchers ? theatre tickets?

SugarPlumpFairy3 Sun 11-May-14 17:57:59

My dd (7) still plays with her cuddly toys the most. She has a few build a bears which are her absolute favourite. Other than that, she loves pens, paper and craft activities. She got some Fimo for her birthday and is really enjoying that too.

Dragonlette Sun 11-May-14 17:59:15

My nieces love nothing more than a day out, so they always seem to get cash with a note of "this will pay for your family to go to X for the day". They are 6 and 8 now and they love this stuff. Their dad gets them "stuff" but their mum takes them places.

They also love doing crafts, so a big box of craft equipment kept them busy all last summer (they got slightly different things in their boxes).

Or books. When my dd1 was 6, she told me that her best present was the series of Rainbow Fairy books that my parents gave her. I HATED them, they were so boring, but she LOVED them and read them over and over again.

lucysmam Sun 11-May-14 17:59:44

My seven yr old keeps badgering for her ears pierced so that'd be a definite winner!

How about some outside bits? Mine spends all day lately with her skipping rope (she can't bloody skip confused ). Or one of those Flikr scooters that you ride with both feet? Mine would also like one of those.

FaFoutis Sun 11-May-14 18:00:10

A mini sewing machine?

lucysmam Sun 11-May-14 18:00:20

Almost forgot, Build a Bears are a big hit here as well smile

MrsAlexVause Sun 11-May-14 18:05:54

Mostly her DS. She loves her miniature toys like Zoobles and Squinkies too.

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Sun 11-May-14 18:08:29

Mine are happiest playing schools too, so I help this along by providing clipboards, paper, tons of pens/pencils/rubbers/rulers. That's all mine need really. They use their dolls as 'pupils'.

Mine also love books so I get them plenty of reading material and they have magazine subscriptions (we tried National Geographic kids, and now have the Beano, and I'm currently looking at RSPB subscription).

They also enjoy using magnifying glasses, junior binoculars and a book about bugs which they go off and 'spot' in the garden together. I've thought about getting them a set of walkie talkies but haven't seen a decent set that actually works well.

DD was 7 last week. She got Lego, a trip to legoland (though we haven't even yet), and a trip to a Lego thing at excel this autumn.

Other people got her a kareoke machine, Hama beads, and a subscription to First News, a weekly newspaper for kids, Frozen and The Moshi Movie on DVD.

drinkingtea Sun 11-May-14 18:10:29

My DD is 8 but still plays endlessly with Playmobile, both with her 6 yo brother and with her friends... her best friend just turned 9 and had loads of Playmobile in her "wish" basket at the toy shop (locally normal...) grin Doesn't mean your DDs will want Playmobile of course... but it is excellent for pretend play, endless possibilities...

Pile of plain coloured T shirts and fabric pens are something I once got DD and she loved.

For her 8th birthday we got DD horse riding lessons, as she'd pestered for them for ages but they just seemed too expensive on an ongoing basis, and I was a bit ambivalent about starting down that road - massively expensive birthday present in fact, even though its not an object, if you let them go weekly, plus they need a hat of their own after the first few weeks, and think they need boots and jodhpurs (even though that is a "need" in inverted commas for just a weekly lesson). We asked grandparents to give her money towards lessons too, so that we could stretch to leting her have a lesson every week in term time (not holidays) and bought 2 10 lesson passes from the stables her friends ride at, which slightly reduces the per lesson cost - she did the same at Christmas in order to keep going, so she has exactly what she wants but largely "stuff" free birthdays and Christmases.

SecretWitch Sun 11-May-14 18:11:01

My six year old dd plays with her Legos, dress up pirate clothes, drawing things, jumps rope, scooter thingy, chalk, and blows bubbles. Other than that she is on her iPad or watches DVDs.

drinkingtea Sun 11-May-14 18:14:29

DD loves her snake board and in-liners too - I'd get in-liners, not heelies because I think heelies are stupid and annoying

NearTheWindymill Sun 11-May-14 18:15:04

Do they need anything else that's big and expensive. Some nice pens and paper and a day out: Chessington, etc..

NearTheWindymill Sun 11-May-14 18:16:00

And on the schools theme - mine loved a Post Office Counter Set.

drinkingtea Sun 11-May-14 18:16:28

Also the anti-colouring books, if they are pen and paper types - we've just got the original one, long since finished, but DD spent a solid couple of days doing nothing else when she got it.

JonathanGirl Sun 11-May-14 18:18:00

My 6 year old actually plays most with a set of paper dolls - the sort where you cut out clothes with little shoulder tabs and dress them in different things. They are totally dog-eared now, but she loves them.

Otherwise she likes Playmobil, craft stuff, running a cafe with Playdough food, drawing and colouring, listening to audio books, and playing "mummies and daddies" or schools with dolls and her younger sister - looks like that is a popular one!

NearTheWindymill Sun 11-May-14 18:18:40

And I'm really going to upset MNet here. Although I think ear piercing is much too young at 7; there is some merit in it. Her ears will be nicely healed up by the time she starts secondary and the PE Teachers insist earrings are removed for lessons and the ruddy holes close up due to lost earrings or no time to put them back in again. DD had hers done at 10 and they were closed within a term and a half of secondary and I was literally replacing a pair of studs a week. Had them redone at 14 and much more mature about the whole thing.

Kim82 Sun 11-May-14 18:20:46

My youngest dd is almost 7 and she tends to play outside the majority of the time using either her bike, flicker scooter, roller skates, the trampoline or space hopper. On the rare occasion she plays in the house she's perfectly happy with pens and paper playing schools with some music cds on in the background to sing along to. She does have dolls, barbies, teddies, lego etc and plays with them sometimes but 90% of the time she's either outside or drawing (sometimes she draws outside...)

EddieVeddersfoxymop Sun 11-May-14 18:22:04

6 going 7 year old DD here, loves build a bear, barbie, playmobil, her dads old farm toys, 3DS and right now is fixated on Disney Infinity. Also loves a pile of crafty stuff to muddle around with..pens, scissors, glue. She's also got an ipod - we gave her it with a voucher so she could choose her own music.

Zazzabeans Sun 11-May-14 18:30:32

thanks for all replies smile
they have tons of board games, books and already have the mini post office and sweet shop.. they also find great pleasure in empty boxes/bottles etc playing shop grin
we have 2 big crates full of art and craft things which we tend to get out on rainy days.
playmobile is the only thing we don't have, they have never asked for it, they have a few of the friends lego sets and we have about 20kg of mixed lego from my ds who no longer plays with it.
We are going on a caravan holiday this year near their birthdays also hoping to get a little trip to legoland at some point this year.
As I type this, they are both more than happy playing with 2 empty small suitcases grin
will have a look into horseriding I think.
Re the ears piercing- dh thinks she is far too young but most of her friends have theirs done , she is quite sensible and we have shown her videos on youtube of what to expect so if she still wants them done then that is fine.

Zazzabeans Sun 11-May-14 18:31:29

we cant get moved for build a bear either grin

ChocolateWombat Sun 11-May-14 18:37:13

You can make sparkly vouchers for lovely days out, or activities,much as pottery painting or chocolate making. Book tokens are great too,mas are Amazon vouchers so they can choose themselves.
How about a membership to something like Sylvanian Club...you get 2 figures, a badge, certificate and a mag 4 times a year. You can also join Junior RSPB etc.
Or a big bumper pack of lovely felt tipped pens, crayons etc.

ChocolateWombat Sun 11-May-14 18:39:01

Oh and tickets to a show are brilliant...such as Matilda, or the Lion King, or Strictly or Dancing on Ice etc. very expensive, but you don't mind so much if its a present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now