Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Cold washing

(29 Posts)

I need help.

I have various bits of clothing that require a 'cold wash' (bought on recent trip to US)

Is this some forrin thing? Cos I assume a cold wash is just 30 degrees? Or will that wreck them? tbh I never really check the labels of my clothes and wash them as I see fit, have I been missing instructions to 'cold wash' for years? confused I don't want to ruin any of them as they are new and not easily replaced...

<feels like an idiot>

also...new pair of black jeans...shall I wash them on their own?

DoItTooJulia Sun 11-May-14 16:58:17

Hand wash them cold, don't risk it if you love them!

And yes to the jeans!

Thanks Julia will do that I think!

Oldraver Sun 11-May-14 17:16:58

Does you machine have a no heat option ? I would use this if you have too.

I've used it in the past when the heater broke on my washer (sounds a bit odd but as the heater broke the washer would go round for hours as it was telling itself the water wasnt hot enough iyswim)...It isnt an immediately obvious option but if on your machine you can reduce the tempon your programmes it will go down to 'no heat'

littlewhitebag Sun 11-May-14 17:23:11

I use the hand wash option on my machine for cold wash items. It is much more gentle and it spins less fast.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 11-May-14 17:33:35

I have a wool wash program that is perfect for this.

These are settings. There is a wool wash but it is 40 degrees? Too hot?

Shameless bump, anyone think any of those options would work?

Rattitude Sun 11-May-14 18:27:56

mmm... I might choose the Silk option at 30C

Rattitude Sun 11-May-14 18:29:49

Re. the black jeans, I would wash them with other black or very dark clothes, with a colour catcher sheet... I live life on the edge though!

namechangenumber5 Sun 11-May-14 18:32:09

I'd hand wash it if you don't have a proper cold setting.

Januaryjojo1 Sun 11-May-14 18:32:38

Do you have another button for the temps at all?

Your machine looks similar to someones I clean at, and theirs has another button for the temp.

If it has you should be able to turn the temp off by pushing a few times.

Thanks rat I have put the jeans on fast wash 60 with some tea towels whose fate I couldn't care less of really grin

I think silk might be a good option too if only because it's the coldest.

First world problems in my house today! Other prevalent issue is currently where the fuck do I put all this make up I have bought wasted money on

Slow clap for me and my sentence structure

There's a dial for temps, I generally just correspond it to the setting I've put the wash on. Not sure if one dial overrides the other?

NoMontagues Sun 11-May-14 18:39:00

I'd go for the silk setting as it's 30 degrees

Think that's what I'll do once jeans are out. Thanks for tips all. Make sure you stick around for exciting update on how it turns out grin grin

SheherazadeSchadenfreude Sun 11-May-14 19:09:51

Go for 30 degrees or less and a delicate/wool/silk wash and they will be fine. I would also use non bio washing stuff.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 11-May-14 19:26:36

Doesn't your washing machine have a cold wash? I thought they all didconfused grin

Apparently not! It's not even that old. sad at lack of cold washing

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 11-May-14 20:10:54

I'd hand wash cold then spin in the machine.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 11-May-14 20:12:31

Actually I remember relatives moaning about basic washing machines when they moved to the states-cold, medium hot and that's it!

HazleNutt Sun 11-May-14 20:12:57

30 degree silk wash will work fine.

Januaryjojo1 Sun 11-May-14 23:30:21

Sorry back to this late.

Turn the temp dial to the top.

That will over ride the setting temp to 0.

Basically the temp dial means you can change the water temp to anything within the settings maximum.

The setting temp is the maximum temp, you can change it manually to anything below that with the dial.

SwedishEdith Sun 11-May-14 23:52:33

What are the clothes made of? Some labels are over-cautious, I find I just ignore them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now