Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Cake question

(31 Posts)
MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:26:17

MIL made my son a birthday cake. I didn't ask her to, his birthday is not till Thursday, she reckons it will keep till Thurs. I'm not so sure, the icing looks like dream topping to me.

I feel bad cause her heart was in the right place, but I didn't ask her to do it, I would like to be able to make my children a cake for myself, and do things for them myself, I feel inadequate when she does things like this. I feel like a twat for taking issue though. (Not said this to MIL I thanked her for the cake)

TheSlagOfSnacks Sun 11-May-14 16:28:27

Eat the cake then lie and say your DH/DS/dog ate the cake. Or that it got knocked onto the floor by accident.

Then make your own cake.

Win.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:30:23

It's DS's first birthday which is why I'm a bit upset (he's not even PFB!)

TheSlagOfSnacks Sun 11-May-14 16:33:09

Ah. Then eat the cake and pretend it met with a terrible accident.

Or make your cake, have both at the party but only eat yours.

Will it definitely not keep until Thurs?

ZenGardener Sun 11-May-14 16:33:50

Just eat it! Is she on FB? Take a photo before you eat it and then post it on FB on Thursday.

CommunistLegoBloc Sun 11-May-14 16:35:08

Say you had a little birthday tea this weekend? Take pictures of DS with the cake and having a slice. You could say you wanted a special little thing while you and DH didn't have to be at work / kids at nursery / whatever applies and that the cake was the perfect finishing touch! Go on about how delicious it was and how it saved you having to make two cakes etc.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:35:35

See the thing is I'm not even having a sodding party! I have bought a shop bought cake, cause I feel it will keep longer, but this ones icing is soft and she has iced a cake with dream topping before. I was in a mood yesterday evening and fantasised about chopping it into pieces. (Sorry I suffer with PND and stuff like this sets it off a little.)

Sorry I'm awful.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:36:23

Not having a party sorry went off on a tangent, just going to get the cake and a make a little fuss of him iyswim, but not on a party type scale.

FatalCabbage Sun 11-May-14 16:36:32

Eat it, say you couldn't resist and wanted to enjoy it at its best.

Then make his actual birthday cake on Wednesday.

Changebagsandgladrags Sun 11-May-14 16:37:07

Dream topping can keep in the fridge for several days.

CommunistLegoBloc Sun 11-May-14 16:38:43

I thought you wanted to make the cake yourself though, but you've bought one?

Either way, take a picture of him enjoying it today and tell her thank you so much but you'd already bought one and you thought this one was too delicious not to eat on a lovely family weekend together.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:38:51

Yeah but its huge and she told me it would keep fine in the cupboard in the box its in.

CundtBake Sun 11-May-14 16:39:06

So you bought a cake you're not making one? Just have two cakes. You can never have too much cake.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:39:23

Not that I wanted to make it myself, just wanted to do something for myself for once iyswim

CundtBake Sun 11-May-14 16:39:38

I'd keep it in the fridge though if it's soft icing

TheSlagOfSnacks Sun 11-May-14 16:40:39

1. Eat all the cake. As much cake as you can.

2. Don't worry about anything.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:41:53

There is literally no room in my fridge, the box is too tall and wide and would not fit on small shelves. I have decided we are going to have it tonight for pudding and I will make DP swear not to tell his mother.

CommunistLegoBloc Sun 11-May-14 16:42:54

Oh I seeeeee - I think! You wanted to be the one to make a homemade cake, if a homemade cake was to be made?

Your DS is a lucky boy to have a grandma who cares this much - try to look at it that way rather than feeling inadequate. You have small children, she doesn't. She's got bloody loads of time to make cakes.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:43:50

Yeah I know thats why I feel awful, she genuinely loves her grandkids!

BikeRunSki Sun 11-May-14 16:46:02

Dream Topping keeps for years. It's chemicals, sugar and fat.

CommunistLegoBloc Sun 11-May-14 16:46:49

You can't help how you feel and having PND can adjust focus and perspective. I don't mean to minimise what you're feeling, but if you can try and put that spin on it then you might feel more positively. And there are plenty of positives in this situation. Loads of cake and a grandma who loves her grandchildren! cake

addictedtosugar Sun 11-May-14 16:47:08

I've just frozen excess birthday cake. Is that worth a try after you've had pudding tonight?

Then you can finish it in a couple of weeks time?

Nocomet Sun 11-May-14 16:49:12

Is MIL coming to tea on DS birthday, if so you have to keep and use cake on Thursday.

Otherwise you stick a candle in cake today, take photo of DS with it and eat it.

Repeat with own cake on Thursday. DS is one he doesn't give a monkeys how many cake plus candles photos he posses for.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:51:20

No she will be at work, I have just gone and had a proper check, I only glanced before putting it away, It seems like buttercream icing but harder...Oh well gonna shove a candle in it and take pics. Then do 'my' cake 'on the day' as it were.

MostlyMama Sun 11-May-14 16:52:32

I say shove a candle in, theres already one in it, I might even show you guys the pic, its a fab cake, teddy bear shaped and everything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now