Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Has anyone else ever lost their taste for red meat?

(34 Posts)
LanaStraightLeg Sun 11-May-14 14:23:16

I've always been an enthusiastic omnivore but DH is veggie, my DC aren't particularly interested in most meat except ham and sausages, and we are on a low budget, so don't tend to eat much meat at all.

Over the past few months, I've realised that when I do have it as an occasional treat, I don't actually like it. On Friday I'd got myself some lovely organic lamb chops but ended up binning most of them as I couldn't stomach them sad

Anyone experienced similar? I'm not pregnant and anyway has been happening for a while.

LeBearPolar Sun 11-May-14 14:26:04

It's not quite the same as you, but when I was a young child, my dad decided that we were all going to become vegetarian. hmm I missed meat quite a lot and as soon as I left home, I started eating it again - but I could never bring myself to try red meat again. I just didn't fancy it at all.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 14:28:25

I don't eat red meat at all, as in joints of beef/pork/lamb. I can't touch raw chicken but I can cook it and we eat quite a lot of that.

The thought of eating steak or something makes me feel a bit sick.

flappityfanjos Sun 11-May-14 14:28:59

I don't often want red meat any more. I used to make chilli con carne quite often, now I much prefer making a veggie version or just using a tiny bit of chorizo for flavour. I do still sometimes fancy a burger or a steak, but we're talking every couple of months at most.

Gileswithachainsaw Sun 11-May-14 14:34:33

I know what you mean completely.

I cook veggi/vegan a lot as kids are dairy free and I avoid it mostly too and I really notice how sluggish and "full" I feel when I do cook meat.

Feel so much better when I eat vegi and I struggle to stomach cooking meat now but do for sake of kids

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 14:36:27

We have turkey mince for spag Bol/cottage pie etc. No gristly bits.

I had a steak bake from Asda ages ago. It had a pipe/tube in it. Ugh.

citruslemon Sun 11-May-14 14:46:02

I went off red meat when pregnant. That was 7 years ago and haven't eaten it since. Rarely eat chicken. Am not a vegetarian but don't miss the meat at all.

TheHoundsBitch Sun 11-May-14 14:49:21

I go through phases of meat squicking me out a bit. I've stopped eating meat every day since. Its been fun cooking yummy new veggie things.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 14:51:39

I can't touch or cut raw meat. The knife going in freaks me out, when there's a bit of tension and then it cuts. I don't like that sensation.

DH thinks I am quite strange.

redexpat Sun 11-May-14 15:01:06

Only when pregnant.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Sun 11-May-14 15:01:37

I went off meat when I was pregnant too, and when I did eat it again post-pregnancy it tasted revolting. I don't even like the smell of it cooking now.

CouldntGiveAMonkeysToss Sun 11-May-14 15:19:15

I'm not keen on red meat, I only eat it if minced, I really don't like steak or chops.
I prefer chicken and fish. I think I don't like the idea of eating another mammal.

foxdongle Sun 11-May-14 19:00:17

I can't stand red meat and never have liked it, especially lamb- the smell of it cooking makes me feel sick.
The minute I became a teenager I refused to eat it anymore.
I told my dcs that I've never had a real burger- they were shock
I'm not a veggie, I eat fish regularly.
I also cook the family meat, but never lamb.

Mrsjayy Sun 11-May-14 19:10:24

I only eat beef mince and then it is in a bolognaise and tbh I dont really like it, the thought of a steak makes me a bit heavey if i could cook properly I would be a proper vegitarian,

Mrsjayy Sun 11-May-14 19:11:14

I eat a beef burger now and again i love big macs

Deathraystare Sun 11-May-14 19:12:27

My mum has decided she is fed up of meat -she has normally only eating chicken and fish occasional lamb and pork, not much beef at all. But as bed-bound at the moment her appetite is not good. I had just bought a few i person meals, split them into 3 tiny portios, kept one each in fridge and frozen rest. She has now announced she does not want amy more meat. Problem is she will not really want to be veggie either so I will have to look exra hard for things without pasta (she has now decided she "always liked rice" - news to me when living at home!), doesnot like spicy either.

I am going to get a veggie meal and put a tiny bit aside for her. Well, that is the plan anyway. I think she believes I have a food store in the kitchen or am a mind reader! She will suddenly decide she wants a roll after telling me she hates them. Now I have some ham to throw away as she has decided she no longer wants it.

MInd you, as long as she keeps up having cheese and biscuits that will be great as we have loads of biscuits over from Christmas and I did not get rid of a lot when my friends came.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 19:13:10

Maccy D's burgers gives the whole Sparkling family the squits. DS2 used to suffer from constipation and beg us to take him. blush

AuditAngel Sun 11-May-14 19:17:27

I spent a lot of time in hospital when pregnant with DD2. They gave me a lot of poor quality lamb, I now can't face eating lamb, although I was fine when DH cooked suckling lamb as the neat is still very mild.

Eyelet Sun 11-May-14 19:23:44

I go off chicken when pregnant, can't buy it, touch it or eat it.

I do like red meat and fish when pregnant however #2 is now almost a year old and I'm wanting to stop eating all meat and eat fish and vegetarian food. Not sure why.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 19:29:20

What does everyone eat when they are out? i am always in the chicken section of the menu.

Mrsjayy Sun 11-May-14 19:30:40

yeah chicken usually although i do like steak pie sometimes when i am out as it is done that stringy way I can never do it like that,

Chottie Sun 11-May-14 19:31:15

I don't really like meat either. I use quorn mince for spag bol now. I hate the smell and look of meat. I don't like looking in butcher's shops either.

I do eat all sorts of fish and shellfish and roast chicken, but I hate chewy chicken breasts. I have never liked steak.

eurochick Sun 11-May-14 19:34:06

During pregnancy. I went off meat (along with a bunch of other stuff) when I had nausea in the first tri and although the rest of my appetite has returned to normal, I still can't stomach meat. I can only manage it if it is disguised (heavily flavoured or mixed up in a soup or curry). I used to love a steak.

LeBearPolar Sun 11-May-14 19:34:10

I always order chicken, fish or from the veggie section. I like a nice veggie risotto, me.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 19:34:25

I can't do chewy meat. I know what you mean Mrsjayy the meat in the pies just falls apart in your mouth that's much better.

I am now walking past the butchers thinking-ewww that's all dead animals that used to be in fields. confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now