Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If you want to thank a facebook friend for a great evening, do you do it on their timeline and if so why?

(57 Posts)
Mintyy Sun 11-May-14 13:02:45

Why don't you send a private message or a text?

Genuinely curious.

MrsLettuce Sun 11-May-14 13:06:44

I'd tend to do it by email but I suppose some people like to give others public recognition for the kindness / excellence / friendship. maybe confused.

FunnyFoot Sun 11-May-14 13:07:33

It depends.

If the night was mentioned on the friends FB page such as "Can't wait for tonight, looking forward to seeing everyone" then I would post a comment saying what a good time I had.

If it wasn't mentioned then I would either PM or send a text. Normally if I am thanking someone I ring them as I don't think sincerity comes across via text/PM.

MrsLettuce Sun 11-May-14 13:07:48

It's the sort of people who'd have taken out an advert in the paper in previous years, I suppose - there used to be plenty of that.

Doristhecamel Sun 11-May-14 14:39:34

Why bother posting anything on your own time line or on anyone's?
Fb is what it is. I have used my own time line and friends and messaging to comment or thank for a great day ir evening out.
What is the problem with either timeline or messaging something like this? Is tjus yet another bit of fb etiquette I am not aware of?
Please someone explain to me.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 14:42:56

So that everyone else can see how lovely and polite you are? wink

Mintyy Sun 11-May-14 14:44:24

I would explain Doris, if I understood your post wink.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 14:46:54

There is etiquette on FB? I thought it was a free for all, post what you like and tough to everyone?

YoureBeingASillyBilly Sun 11-May-14 14:47:08

So everyone can see you are so popular to be invited out and that you are an excellent friend selector to chose someone so hospitable. grin

I quite often put it on FB if I'm concerned about waking the person, or if I'm off to bed myself and don't want to be woken by the reply!

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 14:49:12

You can PM on FB though can't you josie?

SylvaniansKeepGettingHoovered Sun 11-May-14 14:50:43

I think people do it to show how interesting and varied their life is, and to prove that friends invite them over! It's basically 'showing off'! And rather dull to read.

I think it's connected to self-esteem levels and I would expect a study to show that people who have to promote themselves this way have fairly low self-esteem (but they would never admit it).

SoFetch Sun 11-May-14 14:52:26

I'm not on FB, but I've heard lots of people say that they don't check their inbox messages because they're usually full of rubbish. So perhaps timeline posting is sometimes just a go-to to ensure it's received?

EduardoBarcelona Sun 11-May-14 14:53:49

to show off obvs

Doristhecamel Sun 11-May-14 15:02:02

what I meant was fb is about being social. It works by people posting random shit on their timelines. Why is saying thankyou for a good evening wrong or right on fb?
I don't get why there would be a problem with this and would be glad if someone could ecain any fb etiquette I am not aware of.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 15:03:20

That is the exact reason I am not on FB. Random sh*t. grin

LemonPipLimePeel Sun 11-May-14 15:05:54

I have posted thank you on people's walls. I wasn't showing off confused I was saying thank you!
Its a nice thing to do.

DIYtrainee Sun 11-May-14 15:06:37

If they are a friend solely through FB then I guess you could thank them through FB.

But if its a friend who happens to be also linked via FB, then wouldn't you just text them or email them????!!!!

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 15:06:41

Does it make the people that weren't invited feel bad though?

Shockers Sun 11-May-14 15:07:25

I post stuff to the timelines of folk who seem to go for that kind of thing. Everyone else I'd text.

Shockers Sun 11-May-14 15:08:24

And yes, Sparklingbrook, I think that often happens if people aren't sensitive.

Sparklingbrook Sun 11-May-14 15:09:37

i have seen enough threads of the 'they had a party, didn't invite me and i found out on FB' variety.

Mintyy Sun 11-May-14 15:09:59

Well, I'll explain exactly what I mean.

I saw a good rl friend this morning who was a bit out of sorts. She has a fairly large group of friends, one of whom hosted a small party at home last week, my rl friend wasn't invited, but most of the rest of this group was, and she found this out from reading all the "thank you for the lovely evening" messages she read on the hosts timeline.

If you can thank privately, then why not?

I have a fb friend (she is also a rl friend) who I know has low self esteem, and she does this. She even posts "looking forward to catching up with ** n Friday night, sure the food will be gorgeous" type posts several days beforehand!

I use fb to post about all sorts of shite, but I think I would be more mindful of other people's feelings in the first example above. Plus a text or private message, or yes, even a phone call, just seems more personal and sincere imvho.

LemonPipLimePeel Sun 11-May-14 15:11:09

I don't have a cell phone, so I don't text.
Email is used by my grandparents/work/pta , I don't check it more than once a week or so.
Who would feel bad by one person thanking another?
Gossiping, being mean, sure I understand, but why would being polite hurt someone else? It doesn't make sense.

Oblomov Sun 11-May-14 15:11:18

I agree with Funnyfoot.
if it had been mentioned then I would respond on timeline. if not I would fb message.

or text.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now