Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How much exercise do you do each week?

(119 Posts)
Haroldplaystheharmonica Sun 11-May-14 09:36:39

I've upped my game recently as the realisation that our holiday in August is now only three months away. Ok, so it's to Norfolk so the chances of lying my bikini-clad body on the beach are pretty slim but needs must!

For the past few weeks I've tried to do some kind of exercise 4-5 times a week, a mixture of spinning, running, the gym, shred, etc. DH thinks this is too much and I should chill out but if I enjoy it and can fit in in with the kids/work/home then I don't think it's too much of a problem. Is it? Is it actually better for your body to have more rest days in between exercising?

It doesn't help that he's not got an ounce of fat on him and can eat what he wants! The irony is that he exercises as he wants to bulk up for the summer when all I want to do is slim down...

fatlazymummy Sun 11-May-14 10:19:46

A minimum of 3 hours swimming, then stuff at home (pushups, squats,etc) and at last 2 miles walk every day.
I don't think you are overdoing it, and you are supposed to have 1 restday a week.
If you are lifting heavy weights then you are supposed to rest that body part for 2 days afterwards (I think).

Marrow Sun 11-May-14 10:23:39

I do one Pilates class a week and walk about 50 miles. I very unfit though and need to do more.

caz1010 Sun 11-May-14 10:37:27

I never do "official" exercise, yet am a petite size 8. I eat like a horse.
However, I cycle 4 miles a day, to work.
Have a physically demanding job, 20 hours a week.
im often on my feet from 7 in a morning til I go to bed !
I don't think gym classes etc are really necessary when you can combine physical exercise into your daily routine

RhondaJean Sun 11-May-14 10:41:58

You need at least five days a week to see any difference ime.

This week I have done two sessions with my personal trainer, a kettlebell class, a Thai boxing class and I will go for a run today.

I need to add in some serious weights sessions, run one or two more times a week and another Thai class.

I don't really think rest days are necessary if you mix up your training and also have a "slower" day so perhaps go for a brisk walk or a slow jog rather than do nothing, this is because I tend to seize up a bit if I do nothing once I am training properly grin but remember proper warm ups and cool downs and eat as well as you can.

Haroldplaystheharmonica Sun 11-May-14 22:14:10

Eeek, I have my first kettlebell class tomorrow! I'm sure it will be fine as I feel quite fit but my DH has been as said it was a killer so not sure how I'll get on as I have spinning before...

I think I'll carry on as I am but try not to worry if I drop below 4 lots of exercise a week. I agree that you need to do at least that to see any difference. It was fine a few years ago but now I'm exercising and fasting just break even!

cookoos Sun 11-May-14 22:24:55

hi op, i do 5 days. My DP tends to have a moan every now & again or says "give it a miss today" when ive already got my gym clobber on & im all ready to go which really annoys me. but like you i think if i can fit it in then why not, i feel so much better for it.

x

littleblueballoon Sun 11-May-14 22:31:15

How do you all fit so much exercise in to your week? !

I have 3 DC aged 9, 6 and 3. I work 3 days per week and exercise once at the weekend. Too tired in evenings.

Sirzy Sun 11-May-14 22:32:33

I run 3 or 4 times a week

Walking DS to pre-school on weekdays and then walking to the shops a few times a week

Bootcamp once or twice a week and then the nights I'm not at bootcamp I try to do power hoops/kettle bells etc

Nicknacky Sun 11-May-14 22:36:32

I've got two kids, a 7 year old and a 5 month old so I am still in mat leave. I run twice a week, visit my pt once and do a combination of body pump, attack and combat. I go to the gym early evening and it re-energises me.

I'm in a bikini in five weeks, eek!

phoolani Sun 11-May-14 22:37:02

I do 3-4 sessions a week. Mix swimming, gym and team sports. And I do it all in the wee dawn hours before everyone else is awake. I am beyond useless at getting going in the evenings.

tabulahrasa Sun 11-May-14 22:38:07

I shred 5 days a week and walk 3-4 miles every day with the dog.

Impatientismymiddlename Sun 11-May-14 22:40:34

I only run 4 miles 2/3 times a week. I'm quite embarrassed now as everyone else on here seems so much more active.

magimedi Sun 11-May-14 22:42:27

I am pushing 60 - I say that as I suspect al of you with yound Dc 'might' just be a bit younger than me!

I swim 1K three times a week & the days I don't swim I walk (fast) at least 2 miles.

I started this regime in January & have dropped a size.

magimedi Sun 11-May-14 22:43:27

all

young

Fat fucking arthritic fingers!

Nicknacky Sun 11-May-14 22:44:21

Imagine, there is no need for the word "only" in your sentence! I need to run as often as you do and do the distance that you are doing, but I don't.

Nicknacky Sun 11-May-14 22:44:54

Sorry, not imagine....I meant Impatient!

threedeer Sun 11-May-14 22:45:40

I run 5-8k 2-3 times per week and walk 3 times a week, plus one bootcamp. Don't feel right doing less these days and walks don't really feel like exercise at all now, anymore. Weigh the same as before but am a dress size smaller and have definitely not been dieting.

Imbimba Sun 11-May-14 22:46:00

20 mins on the exercise bike 4 times a week, plus various arm lifts with weights, some squats etc.
Currently 14 weeks pregnant though with DC3 and am determined to stay fit this time...will see how it goes...

AmeliaToppingLovesShopping Sun 11-May-14 22:47:21

I shred 6 days a week, before school week days and on Saturday.

Have only been doing it 3 weeks though.

I also try and walk while the DC are at school as much as possible.

Suzannewithaplan Sun 11-May-14 22:47:48

it depends what counts as exercise, I mean is it anything other than lying down or do you have to be at 80% + of your max heart rate?

I spend a couple of hours in the gym 6 days a week, walk 20 or so miles a week and 20-30 minutes of yoga per day

Katy1368 Sun 11-May-14 22:48:02

Magimedi - swimming is amazing, am convinced it is the most effective exercise there is. Swim at least twice a week 2 kilometres each time of fast front crawl. Doing ashtanga Yoga once a week, a very demanding class actually. Just on school drop offs/pick ups walk forty minutes most days, usually fast as we are always slightly late! Some weeks I will swim at least once to twice more depending on how much spare time I have.

Have dropped two dress sizes in the last year, and some weight tho not sure exactly how much as I never weigh myself.

trixymalixy Sun 11-May-14 22:48:26

I do 2x 1 hour PT sessions, run 5k on a Tuesday lunchtime, play 3-5 hours of tennis split over 3 nights and walk for an hour at lunch 3x per week.

trixymalixy Sun 11-May-14 22:49:16

Oh and I haven't lost a single pound. It's all about what you eat.

MrsJohnDeere Sun 11-May-14 22:49:42

Minimum 1 hour brisk walk per day
Lots of gardening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now