Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

did anyone NOT have a traumatic labour?

(186 Posts)
havenever Sun 11-May-14 08:59:37

There is a thread atm where OP feels she needs to meet with midwives to discuss her labour, as it was very traumatic. I don't want to derail that thread, are be insensitive to her, so i have started this thread to ask my question;

giving birth istraumatic?? Its supposed to be traumatic? I cant see how you can expel a baby from your body either vaginally or c section, without it being traumatic?

SpottedTent Sun 11-May-14 09:01:52

My first one wasn't. I think you need to look up the definition of trauma.

Busymumto3dc Sun 11-May-14 09:02:16

I wouldn't describe any of mine as traumatic

1 and 2 were long with days of slow labor and then 12 hours full labor

But no complications. No stitches or anything. Gas and air and pethidine only.

3 was a breeze, 5 hours and only gas and air

Unsureif Sun 11-May-14 09:03:51

Mine weren't. Mine were 'easy'/straightforward. But I knew what to expect. Perhaps if you don't it could be traumatic?

ginmakesitallok Sun 11-May-14 09:04:00

Neither of mine were traumatic, shelling peas.

bruffin Sun 11-May-14 09:04:05

I had one tramatic labour, which involved 2 months in hospital, 3 days inducing 24 hours labour ending in theatre but not cs. However dd wss born 2 years later and it was lovely short 4 hours bith and i felt euphoric after the end of it. No pain relief at all either.

FourEyesGood Sun 11-May-14 09:05:04

I had to have a CS with my second, but my first wasn't traumatic at all. It was an unexpected home birth, but it all went smoothly. Of course it hurt, but it definitely wasn't traumatic.

SpottedTent Sun 11-May-14 09:05:23

grin at "shelling peas"

cakesonatrain Sun 11-May-14 09:05:25

Hmm, my first was a bit traumatic with hindsight, with 3rd degree tear and all, but at the time was just my first experience of giving birth, so was quite scary! My second was just a bit quick!

0blio Sun 11-May-14 09:06:06

I'll admit I did feel a bit traumatised after my first one, but that's because I wasn't really prepared for the pain. It was, like the other two, natural, straightforward and medically, very "easy".

havenever Sun 11-May-14 09:06:08

Oh, really? confused

maybe, what i will learn from this thread is that I had traumatic labours, then!!

SqutterNutBaush Sun 11-May-14 09:06:55

So basically your saying that the OP of the other thread is being overdramatic, nice confused

Artandco Sun 11-May-14 09:07:07

Neither 'traumatic' here either

Ds1 - 10 hours slow labour, 1 hour actual
Ds2 - 3 hrs start to finish

BadRoly Sun 11-May-14 09:07:32

trauma
ˈtrɔːmə,ˈtraʊmə/
noun
a deeply distressing or disturbing experience.
"a personal trauma like the death of a child"
MEDICINE
physical injury.
"rupture of the diaphragm caused by blunt trauma"
synonyms:injury, damage, hurt, wound, wounding, sore, bruise, cut, laceration, lesion, abrasion, contusion

Mine weren't traumatic in the general sense, in fact I'd go as far as to say the opposite. But medically I guess they were as I need stitches for all 3.

FobblyWoof Sun 11-May-14 09:07:44

Mine was, but it know plenty of other people who've had non-traumatic labours.

havenever Sun 11-May-14 09:08:01

No squter, that isn't what i am saying

YouLoveItDoreen Sun 11-May-14 09:08:28

My experience was far from traumatic, it was uncomfortable, but that was due to metalwork in my body causing pressure, each time I had to push, it felt like the metalwork was coming out too. But the actual experience just felt amazing, my midwives were wonderful and really understood my concerns, I was listened to and DS was delivered safely. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

emsyj Sun 11-May-14 09:08:56

I had a c-section first time and a totally vanilla, quick, easy home birth with no tears or stitches second time. I would describe my second birth as physically demanding (the sweating was a surprise!) and intense, but incredible and not traumatic - it was amazing and beautiful. smile

Mine weren't traumatic - I think it'd be extreme to describe them as that.
Neither were pleasant. At all.

buffythebarbieslayer Sun 11-May-14 09:09:24

And your empathy has gone where OP?

Of course birth can be traumatic. Seems you've lost your intelligence as well.

perfectview Sun 11-May-14 09:09:41

My 2nd was a nice experience albeit very intense. Your body is designed to expel the baby through your vagina it is not like having open heart surgery etc which while important is not a natural process.

That isn't say that complications don't arise but that is not inevitable.

Then again I am one of those people that disagrees with the term labour 'pains'- this is prob the easiest way for people to describe them as there isn't another obvious word.

Don't even get me started on all the tv births - real and otherwise- where lying flat in your back seems to be the only option. Finding a good position for you is the best thing you can do to help the labour along and prevent it from becoming a painful experience.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 11-May-14 09:09:47

I think what you are searching for is the difference between controlled trauma and uncontrolled trauma. Yes giving birth is traumatic, but ideally it is controlled trauma.
Some of us have suffered uncontrolled trauma where HCP have to make snap decisions with no time to explain and then work desperately hard to try and ensure a life baby and mother. There is a moment where you switch from two midwives doing their thing to, being whisked down a corridor to a different room with at least 8 people who are working frantically.

TheBookofRuth Sun 11-May-14 09:10:14

You know what, even an EMCS doesn't have to be "traumatic" - mine wasn't. I was in labour for 24 hours before that, but I felt looked after throughout that, my pain was managed, my options were clearly explained and discussed with me, and I trusted the medical professionals to deliver my baby safely, which they did. So even if you don't get the birth you may have wanted, doesn't necessarily mean it's traumatic.

FrigginRexManningDay Sun 11-May-14 09:10:26

My first three births were brilliant, short labours, pain was bearable, practically breathed my babies out with no tearing. No problems afterwards with breastfeeding or anything. Got pnd though but that can strike anyone.
My last birth was horrendous, we both nearly died. I needed a lot of counselling to get over it as I missed those first few days due to both of us being in the icu. I can really only remember her from about two weeks cause I was off my face on morphine.

ChazzerChaser Sun 11-May-14 09:10:42

If it didn't feel traumatic to you, it wasn't traumatic. Trauma is to do with how you feel. If someone found it traumatic, it was. And that needs respecting not questioning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now