Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Which places in Europe have wonderful food?

(105 Posts)
LostMyPants Sat 10-May-14 21:24:22

We love good food and would like to holiday somewhere in Europe. Without children.

Where should we go?

tametortie Sat 10-May-14 21:25:10

Greece!!!

Annunziata Sat 10-May-14 21:25:45

Sicily.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 10-May-14 21:26:16

Denmark, though perhaps pickled herring might not be your thing
Italy - the pasta, the pizza!

CorusKate Sat 10-May-14 21:27:06

Belgium.

Parliamo Sat 10-May-14 21:29:22

The food I had in Sicily was amazing. We stayed in one pensione b and b place and had authentic home cooked food. Spaghetti was spaghetti, tomatoes and basil, main course, a sausage on a plate, dessert was a plateful of cherries. It was one of the most memorable and tasty meals I've ever had.

France is overrated ime, and Germany does amazing bread and cakes. And there my experience ends...

Andcake Sat 10-May-14 21:29:41

Really! Anyway if you love food and can't work this out for yourself from the cuisines you've tried already at home.
Italy, France, Spain, Greece, also had some great food in Belgium, Slovenia and Croatia. Less so in Portugal but actually scrap that fab fish and little custard tarts. The variety if Europe is amazing and can vary regionally within a country.

Panicmode1 Sat 10-May-14 21:32:30

Brussels/Belgium. Amazing food.

QuintessentiallyQS Sat 10-May-14 21:33:33

NOrway. Great food. Especially if you love fish, and game, and grouse, and stuff, and happy to experiment with fusion cuisine.

Terrible if you are vegetarian...

CorusKate Sat 10-May-14 21:35:13

Norway should be avoided unless you have a lot of money and/or really love salmon.

CorusKate Sat 10-May-14 21:36:01

Actually Prague has some pretty nice food.

QuintessentiallyQS Sat 10-May-14 21:38:11

She asked about where food is good, not where to find cheap food.

CorusKate Sat 10-May-14 21:38:30

Or London, obviously.

CorusKate Sat 10-May-14 21:39:27

True, Quint, but Norway really is eyewatering.

LondonForTheWeekend Sat 10-May-14 21:40:51

Back to the topic. go to France FFS
It really doesn't get better

LostMyPants Sat 10-May-14 21:44:09

This is going to be a 'once in a lifetime' holiday. So spending extra is not such a problem smile

We love to eat out but don't get much opportunity. We mainly cook ourselves so not sure how 'authentic' our cooking is.

NearTheWindymill Sat 10-May-14 21:47:11

France
Italy
Not so keen on Spain
Germany has good bits
Sweden has good bits (ex Swedish au-pairs)
Greece - was the person up thread joking?

There my experience ends really but there is that forgotten part of Europe - it's called England shock - esp London.

AphraBane Sat 10-May-14 21:47:12

Italy and France are the two countries that really, really appreciate food. Italy is probably the place where you're most likely to be just able to pop into the local restaurant and be amazed by the sheer quality of what they happen to have on offer.

LostMyPants Sat 10-May-14 21:47:51

I'm quite happy for recommendations to be cities or even regions rather than countries.

We are leaning toward Italy, but I'd probably prefer more meat and veg rather than seafood. So that suggests mainland rather than an island i think.

zoobaby Sat 10-May-14 21:48:24

Italy. Tuscany. Steak. Seafood. Yum!

zoobaby Sat 10-May-14 21:50:27

X post. Ignore seafood (but it IS amazing).

Charmingbaker Sat 10-May-14 21:50:59

Another vote for Sicily here, also the food in Turkey is great (just stay away from the big resorts).

TeacupDrama Sat 10-May-14 21:52:52

italy tuscany is good but for a austrian twist around the dolomites in southern tyrol also around milan avoid big tourist places like the city of Rome, venice or Florence or rad lots of reviews because reginoal food good a lot of central retaurants geared up for tourist market

bruffin Sat 10-May-14 21:53:27

Another vote for Sicily

NearTheWindymill Sat 10-May-14 21:55:56

Having poo poo'd Spain. I've just remembered staying in the North in a place called Bayonna and having the most awesome shellfish ever. Not forgetting things like Paella.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now