Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Drinks with new neighbours tomorrow - what to bring (apart from wine obvs)

(16 Posts)
AnnabelleDarling Sat 10-May-14 16:43:23

We moved recently and our lovely next door neighbours have invited us for drinks to meet other neighbours from the street. It's 4-6 tomorrow, so I can't decide if that's savoury canapé time or would more of a cake type offering be appropriate?

Our dc are older, 9 -15, but they, and other guests will have toddlers and pre-schoolers. If you were the host what would you like me to bring?

wheretoyougonow Sat 10-May-14 16:44:43

If you are having wine I would take canapés. Sounds like you have moved to a lovely neighbourhood smile

AnnabelleDarling Sat 10-May-14 16:56:14

It is nice, I haven't quite got used to it yet though! It's by the sea, so hopefully a good summer will make me fall in love with it. The neighbours seem lovely though so we are very lucky from that point of view.

What I've made before is little squares of puff pastry with caramelised onions and brie. Really delicious and if I take them out of the oven just before we go they'll be warm. Not very child friendly is my only worry!

Big bunch of keys?

DurhamDurham Sat 10-May-14 17:01:32

Wine is a given. Also chocolates or flowers for the hosts and maybe some sweets for the children. Crisps and nibbles usually go down well too smile

kazzawazzawoo Sat 10-May-14 17:34:32

Annabelle, the pastry squares sound lovely, maybe also a box of Celebrations or other chocolates and/or a bottle of wine.

Shockers Sat 10-May-14 17:36:58

My children would love those and so would I, can I come too?

newyearnewshoes Sat 10-May-14 17:42:46

I don't know if you would rather bring something more substantial, but the new Walkers Sensations nuts are really nice!
Pastry squares sound fabulous though, could you please share the recipe? Thanks!

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-May-14 17:45:27

Have they got Pampas Grass? <worries>

Seriously though that is so nice. Take cake-you can't go wrong with a cake. smile

ExcuseTypos Sat 10-May-14 17:45:28

I'd do the pastry squares, they sound lovely. I wouldn't take nuts in case some one is allergic. Your new neighbours sound lovely.

Bouncy balls or bubbles for the DC and get your DC to play with the little dc!
Oh and wine too obv.
Those nibbly things sound nice too. I think you are spot on.

I want to come!

thornrose Sat 10-May-14 17:53:16

I'd say 4 - 6 is more wine and savoury stuff than cake

I live near the sea, my sister moved down a couple of years ago and unsure at first. She still talks about her first summer, she was sold. grin

AnnabelleDarling Sat 10-May-14 20:52:00

Yes, every time the sun shines I think how lucky we are to live here. If only I could make sure it shone every day!

So I am caramelising the onions. I don't have a recipe, I had them at a wedding years ago and interogated the caterer! I just use frozen puff pastry, cut into smallish squares, I carmelise the onions with a splash of wine and a pinch of sugar.put a spoon of onions on each square with a few leaves of fresh thyme and a piece of Brie. In a hot oven until the pastry puffs and the cheese melts.

I will make a big rice crispie cake and cut it into squares, I have never met a child that doesn't love that.

Bottle of wine and bubbles for the dc. We're all set! Thanks for the ideasgrin

AnnabelleDarling Sat 10-May-14 20:52:50

Sparkling, I wonder - Mr NDN is rather handsome wink

Sparklingbrook Sat 10-May-14 20:58:32

Ooh interesting Anna. grin

Have fun!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now