Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Sensitive situation......boy with Tourettes.

(235 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Ruprekt Sat 10-May-14 15:49:16

How would you feel?

Boy aged 9 started displaying Tourettes.

Twitching
Shouting
Barking
Swearing

'I am really good at Mathsfuckit!'

I am herefuckyou.'

I realise it sounds amusing but would you say something to school about it or just let your child who is in the same class get on with it.

hmmhmm Am not sure what to do. hmmhmm

TeamEdward Sat 10-May-14 15:51:02

My son has Tourettes.

Your post is a bit confusing. Is this boy with TS in your child's class? If so, I'm fairly certain the school will already know his diagnosis.

PirateJones Sat 10-May-14 15:51:29

See your GP and yes, talk to the school.

Acciosanity Sat 10-May-14 15:51:49

I'm sure his parents and school will have noticed.

What are you worried about exactly?

PirateJones Sat 10-May-14 15:52:03

Wait, if its not your child then leave things.

TeamEdward Sat 10-May-14 15:54:17

TS is a neurological condition. This child cannot help ticking. It's a compulsion, like sneezing!
Only 10 per cent of people with TS have coprolalia (a swearing tic).

Ruprekt Sat 10-May-14 15:55:28

He is in ds's class.

I think it is the swearing that bothers me and ds the most. I know he cannot help it but every word is fuck!

Ds said the room is quiet for assessment writing then this boy gets louder and louder and made ds jump so much he dropped his pencil!

School are aware of it. He has been off for some time so it has really impacted on the class.

PirateJones Sat 10-May-14 15:56:43

I'm not sure what you expect them to do?

This child has as much right to be there as your child does.

Acciosanity Sat 10-May-14 15:56:43

Well then you tell your child it's something he can't help and tune it out.

Poor kid, did you want him locked away or something?

A child in your child's class is displaying these signs? I would leave it. The relevant people will already know. Your child will mot suffer and in fact it may be a great opportunity for you to talk to him/her about such things and behaving respectfully of others with such conditions.

mcdog Sat 10-May-14 15:57:44

I don't understand your post?

TeamEdward Sat 10-May-14 15:57:47

Unfortunately, stressful situations can trigger tics so a writing assessment would be a classic situation for outbursts.

Are you still a TA op?

Ruprekt Sat 10-May-14 15:59:44

I know all that.

Of course I do not expect him to be locked away but imagine someone sitting next to you effing away when you are trying to concentrate!

I really feel for him as he has a lot of issues anyway.....this is the last thing he needs.

PirateJones Sat 10-May-14 16:00:28

so again, what do you want them to do?

What exactly are you asking then? What to 'do'? I mean, what do you consider your options to be?

Atbeckandcall Sat 10-May-14 16:01:58

I'm actually rather insulted by your post.

What would you do? Educate my child so they understand that the poor boy can't help it and to be kind to him as stress can make it worse.

As far as I'm concerned the child help no more than someone with a mobility problem. I think you're being rather insensitive.

Fairenuff Sat 10-May-14 16:02:03

Is it the swearing that is bothering you, or the shouting? I mean, if he had hayfever and sneezed loudly during quiet times, would you expect the school to 'do something' about it?

Only1scoop Sat 10-May-14 16:02:59

So school are obviously aware....

Are you asking about the awareness of his school friends....How old is he?

Atbeckandcall Sat 10-May-14 16:03:08

X-posted but your original post was not constructed in a way that made me think you were anything but a bit cruel.

KiaOraAura Sat 10-May-14 16:03:08

I'm not sure what you are asking to be honest. What do you want to say if you speak to the school? Did you want him to be taken out of class?

TeamEdward Sat 10-May-14 16:03:30

I want to <like> that post Fairenuff

PirateJones Sat 10-May-14 16:04:05

When my child was 4 he had a hypoglycaemic seizure in nursery, imagine how irritating that was for the rest of the class, don't worry OP i smacked him for it.

Pheonixisrising Sat 10-May-14 16:04:10

So really you want to know what to do to stop your son from being disturbed ? Nice

He is not swearing to offend , he can't help it , poor little bugger , sounds like he has enough on his plate without you adding your bit

EasterSundaySimmons Sat 10-May-14 16:05:09

The only thing you need to do is educate your child about Tourette's and how his friend in class is affected by it.

Just as some people suffer hayfever and have sneezing fits, that they have no control over, this lad has compulsions and urges to call out.

A nice idea would be to invite the boy round to play with your son and get to know him properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now