Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

NCT nearly new salea

(31 Posts)
Christelle2207 Sat 10-May-14 14:49:18

Just back from this and got a reasonably good haul as usual. What struck me however was how alarmingly middle class it was i.e. Seemed like most people there could afford to buy new stuff for their kids (I'm fortunate enough to be in that position but for ethical/waste reasons prefer to use good quality 2nd hand) - why don't more financially struggling parents go? clothes are so much cheaper than elsewhere. Appreciate that nct is seem as quite middle classy but you don't have to be a member to go and it was very widely advertised.

Christelle2207 Sat 10-May-14 14:49:36

Sales! Not salea

redexpat Sat 10-May-14 15:03:20

Don't you have to pay to be a member of NCT? So it's already a self selecting group.

splendide Sat 10-May-14 15:03:54

You don't have to be a member

HermioneWeasley Sat 10-May-14 15:05:04

Not a particularly middle class audience where I live, though all the volunteers are

Mintyy Sat 10-May-14 15:06:59

We get all sorts at our local one in Lewisham.

The biggest spenders are the Mums who volunteer for the day and get to buy before the doors open grin - they are basically just recycling.

But plenty of riff raff from the lower classes also come along.

Possibly people see posters/Facebook that says it is an NCT Sale and think that they can't be included because they aren't members? Bit like redexpat above me.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 15:07:16

Oh lord, I seem middle class, see my other thread I cant even go on a joint account with my DH.

Yes i think NCT is already for midlde class, I go to normal Baby Markets and car boots....,more of a mix there.

BeyondRepair Sat 10-May-14 15:08:48

You don't have to be a member

But you then get penalised, you have to wait behind the volunetters who get first dibs, then the members, then you get to go in, LAST.

The queues for us third caste are usually hideous too...go to baby markets or car boots.

splendide Sat 10-May-14 15:10:16

Ah ok. I'm not a member but was going to go to one, I might not bother if there'll be nothing left.

BasketzatDawn Sat 10-May-14 15:35:38

I've seen a big mix of people at NNS run by the NCT. Even if there is a 'caste system' smile there is usually plenty left for everyone. Many branches are crying out for volunteers and you don't need to be a paid up member for that, just not able to do money-handling probably. For insurance reasons. So that may be a way to get at the head of the queue. And getting involved will help some of you to see there is a mix of people involved with the NCT. Just saying ....

You could always volunteer (don't have to be a member), then you will get first dibs too!

LoveBeingCantThinkOfAName Sat 10-May-14 15:37:10

Debbie was just going to say that

At the nns I helped out at, there was so so much left at the end. The tables were still deep in clothes. Also stuff at the bottom doesn't see the light of day so if you get in later you'll still get loads.

Volunteer next time and get first dips. Membership not needed.

Smartiepants79 Sat 10-May-14 15:40:38

Anyone can go.
And you know nothing about these other people's financial position.
Appearances can be deceptive.
Maybe they all have ethical reasons for wanting second hand.
Who doesn't like a bargain?
Have to say its not my experience of NCT sales.

dannydyerismydad Sat 10-May-14 15:44:59

Round our way, the mums who can least afford it are the ones down at Mothercare getting finance deals for the latest blinged-out buggy and coordinating outfits for their little princesses in all the eye-watering shades of pink. Unfortunately the families with little money are desperate to keep up appearances and are sucked in by the marketing "must haves".

The middle class families are much more frugal and don't care about buying second hand.

It's a pity - there are bargains to be had. DS rarely has new toys, but doesn't have a clue.

Christelle2207 Sat 10-May-14 16:18:42

Ah not just me then. I think you're right, for some reason poorer mums I know are the ones that somehow spend a fortune on new kit for their babies. Im not a member and yes I had to wait to go in this morning and maybe missed out on the best bargains but there was
still loads of stuff going for peanuts at the end.

LoveBeingCantThinkOfAName Sat 10-May-14 16:43:09

Oh and you can also sellif your nota member

SpiderRoaster Sat 10-May-14 16:53:36

I became a volunteer to get first dabs at the sales.

3 NNS' on and I ended up project leading the last one and because I'm a fully fledged volunteer with a key role, I don't pay a membership.

Volunteering is great for NCT. If you have young babies or children, you get to have a say as to what goes on in your local area (baby groups, toddler groups, one off fun days or tea parties, sling meetings, bf groups, xmas parties for kids)

We have attracted members from all over the county, from all walks of life (couples, single parents etc).

The NNS are great for recycling and picking up cheap clothes, baby items and toys; I don't understand why anyone wouldn't go to them.

dannydyerismydad Sat 10-May-14 16:56:15

Spider, have they changed the rules on membership? I gave up volunteering for NCT after 3 years because I still had to pay extortionate membership (albeit reduced).

Yes spider I'm sure all members of the branch team pay membership! but at a discounted rate. Interested to hear how you managed to get it free!

AuntieMaggie Sat 10-May-14 17:18:00

The NCT sales around here tend to be in 'middle class' areas as do most of their events

SpiderRoaster Sat 10-May-14 17:20:38

I can be a volunteer without being a member. I needed to get on babble (their intranet) so someone somewhere got me a number to log in and register as a volunteer. All legit, I promise!

SpiderRoaster Sat 10-May-14 17:22:48

Now the nns is over, I do need to just get myself a proper membership. Was kind of thrown in at the deep end at the time so perhaps they made an exception. Haven't really thought of it, especially as the sale I did made more money for the charity than previous years grin

halfdrunktea Sat 10-May-14 18:08:04

It's a shame more people don't go to the sales as there are some real bargains to be had and always loads of stuff left over. I helped at our last sale as I'm on the committee. It could probably have had more publicity.

Yes, helpers get first dibs, but you don't have to be a member to help out. That probably isn't well known.
I would say our active members are mostly middle-class-ish for our area, which isn't overly middle-class. But our last chair was on a low income (on benefits).

I think the car boot sales and local Facebook pages might be the first port of call for people here on lower incomes.

LongTailedTit Sat 10-May-14 18:19:20

Being or appearing or be 'middle class' means nowt about your financial situation OP - I appear MC but have most certainly not got the associated funds! I can afford to buy a few things new in JL/Boden etc, but one tshirt and pair of trousers isn't going to last DS all year is it? I buy a lot of the children's clothes on eBay and in charity shops etc, plus we have a lot of good quality hand me downs from lovely relatives.
Haven't yet made it to an NCT sale but am planning to go to the next one!

I surmise that a lot of these apparently MC mums only appear so well-heeled because they make their funds stretch further by buying good quality 2nd hand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now