Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

when you had a baby, what did your parents or inlaws give you or the baby as a gift

(58 Posts)
PussInBrogues Sat 10-May-14 13:27:38

when we had dd we got travel system from one set of grandparents

and 500 from the otherset which kitted out the nursey with really good furniture
double wardrobe, full sized chest of drawers
cot that turns into a bed
dd still has this stuff now

when we had ds2 we got 50 quid from one set
which went towards furniture
and a crib from another set of grandparents

TobyLerone Sat 10-May-14 14:10:19

You're supposed to get a gift?

hakunafrittata Sat 10-May-14 14:12:16

From my OH's side of the family- all the shite under the sun.

BobPatandIgglePiggle Sat 10-May-14 14:13:04

Why??

Parents ans ils bought gifts for ds. Are you pissed off at not 'getting enough' for your dc2?

Not really understanding the point of your question

Jojay Sat 10-May-14 14:13:33

Erm, can't remember. Nothing of huge significance, a baby grow, a teddy, something like that I expect. I think mil made me an enormous batch of her to die for brownies.

What's your point?

gymboywalton Sat 10-May-14 14:13:39

One set of parents bought the cot, the other the pram

Annunziata Sat 10-May-14 14:13:49

With my first, my parents bought us the pram and PIL bought us a crib, but for the others they just got clothes and the girls their first jewellery.

Coconutty Sat 10-May-14 14:14:31

A diet book from MIL.

I didn't expect a gift and would rather not have got one.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sat 10-May-14 14:15:31

My DM knitted DS a lovely outfit. My then MIL bought a teddy and me and XP a box of chocolates.

Why are you asking?

TheCunkOfPhilomena Sat 10-May-14 14:16:15

A diet book ??? Seriously? I hope you told her where to go Coconutty.

NigellasDealer Sat 10-May-14 14:17:12

a double buggy from my parents, nothing from his grin

500smiles Sat 10-May-14 14:17:33

DC1 - my parents bought a pram, PIL gave him a second hand toy

DC2 - my parents bought a cot as we had a pram, PIL gave her nothing, but did pop in for 20 mins on their way somewhere and gave DS nits

ebwy Sat 10-May-14 14:18:46

For eldest, my mother paid for the travel cot. And a bear. And a couple of clothes.

For youngest, nothing.

From his parents, nothing.

NotMrsTumble Sat 10-May-14 14:20:10

hmm, dc1 got a cot from MIL & FIL, & a travel system from my parents.

dc2 got a new mattress for said cot from ILs, sure my parents got him something, but have absolutely no recollection of what!

dc3 (big gap) got ikea vouchers to pay for cot, mattress & bedding & £100 from my parents.

I don't think it's particularly useful to compare though. It probably depends on whether you're close, the / perceived need (e.g. dcs 1&3 got more from ILs, but that was down to what was needed IYSWIM) & also the givers finances - all dgps were retired by the time dc3 showed up.

Mrsjayy Sat 10-May-14 14:20:12

My mum bought us a pram for them both second hand MIl didnt have much money she knitted loads for them though

PrincessBabyCat Sat 10-May-14 14:20:48

We got everything under the sun from our baby shower from everyone.

You're suppose to only get gifts for your first baby though, I thought. Though, I know that if I have a 2nd my parents will still be getting her cute outfits.

Mrsjayy Sat 10-May-14 14:23:43

poor second baby I dont think that is a real thing . My mum bought a crib for dd2 I just remembered somebody gave us a pram for dd2

We are expecting dc1 in July (first grandchild on both sides so lots of excitement) and although we stressed we did not want any gifts, my mum really wanted to buy us the pram. She has also paid for our NCT classes, both of which we are very grateful for as obviously expensive.
DHs dad & stepmum have bought us a bedside crib for our room,
Really have to be firm with MIL as she would have bought everything. As it is she has done up her spare room for the baby when it's older which is a bit overwhelming for me tbh but feel horrible as I must seem ungrateful.
But it's filled to the brim with toys for 18months+, blankets, clothes & bibs, a single bed with bed guards and curtains & bedding. It is a bit odd as baby's not even here yet (she's had this all set up since I was about 18 weeks) and she lives 300 miles away so not like we will be staying there very often. She's also got socket covers & stair gates all over the house already!

persepolis123 Sat 10-May-14 14:24:54

Nothing from ILs but that's fine. They live abroad and haven't met DS yet.

Moses basket, clothes, photo albums and lots of little things from my parents.

HavannaSlife Sat 10-May-14 14:25:00

£500 with ds1, steriliser with ds2 and travel system for ds 3 and cot for ds4 from my mum.

Cot for ds1 from pil, swinging chair for ds3

TobyLerone Sat 10-May-14 14:25:17

I was wondering if the point was that the OP hadn't received so much for DC2, but surely not...

IkeaFurnitureAssemblyChampions Sat 10-May-14 14:25:28

We got far too many lovely gifts from both sides of the family.

Why do you ask?

Ploppy16 Sat 10-May-14 14:28:00

None of them bought a particular thing it was more of a 'what do you need at the moment' jobbie. However the lovely things included a weeks worth of freezer meals off IL's and a weeks shop of my side (this is all 3 times, it became a bit of a tradition).

Xihha Sat 10-May-14 14:35:30

MIL bought DD a couple of pretty dresses, FIL gave us £50 to buy bits. DS's Dad and his family never even acknowledged that he'd been born.

My Dad bought me extra nappies, the correct size clothes (DS was huge and DD tiny so neither fit the newborn baby clothes everyone had bought) and he bought me chocolates and some nice food into the hospital each night, when I got home mum had done the housework, made me lunch and then babysat for a few hours while I had a bath and a nap, worth more than any other gift in the world at that moment.

From my parents we got a travel system. They had bought one for my sister and my mum wanted to do the same for us all - they did go on to buy travel systems or push chairs for my other sisters. MIL bought us the Moses Basket - wouldn't have bothered with one but we were in midst of moving from Vietnam to Bulgaria via Dublin where I had DS. We then knew we would end up in a small apartment for a while so. Moses basket was ideal. She also bought some clothes and soft toys. I'm sure my mum did too.

I only have one DS but I know my parents did buy biggish items for my sisters who had more than one DC. Esp for my sis who thought she had finished on 3 and then had surprise twins!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now