Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Tax credits and zero hours...

(9 Posts)
StormyBrid Sat 10-May-14 13:01:17

Probably not the right board to post this in, but everyone sees Chat, right?

Am I right in thinking there are minimum hours required to be eligible for working tax credits? I know if I'm a single working person I need to be doing at least 16 hours a week to qualify, but what about if I move a partner in? Do we each have to work a minimum amount? Or a minimum amount between us? The person who's considering moving in is on a zero hours contract, and some weeks he only works 14 hours, some weeks rather more. On his 14 hour weeks would we not be eligible for anything even if I were working more than that? Is an income that changes every week going to mean overpayments and never ending hassle? Just how much of a ball-ache is this going to turn out to be?

Would love to hear other people's experiences of zero hours and tax credits, so I can be aware of pitfalls ahead!

FitzgeraldProtagonist Sat 10-May-14 13:10:25

Wish I could help but I would call them and use an online calculator. The whole system is so fucked up it beggars belief.

StormyBrid Sat 10-May-14 13:23:37

I'm poking around with the online calculator now, but it's difficult to work out the underlying principles of the thing! All I've been able to figure out so far is that he needs to find a proper contract.

shitatusernames Sat 10-May-14 13:25:49

I think you would have to give them an estimate? I think the only thing you can do is to ring them up and see what they advise.

IAmTheGodOfTitsAndWine Sat 10-May-14 13:37:43

When I worked for them, many moons ago, we asked people to work out what their average weekly hours were, over a whole year.

That was ages ago though, so ring and check.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 10-May-14 13:42:09

As far as I'm aware you have to work a certain amount of hours between you and you claim as a couple.
I'm not sure what the amount is but you can't do under those hours iyswim.

StormyBrid Sat 10-May-14 13:59:23

Well, the calculator's annoying me now. It refuses to accept that a shift can last 3.5 hours. It's either 3 or 4. Not helpful! Narrowing it down though. 26.5 hours between us seems to mean no WTC, but 30 between us means we qualify. Yes, I am running every configuration of working hours through the calculator and trying to spot patterns in the result.

Still, good to know it's a minimum for the unit. Except I just ran a couple of different scenarios through, and him doing 24 while I do 1 means we would get WTC, just not the full amount. Where is the logic?!

deakymom Sat 10-May-14 16:56:29

wtc on zero hour contract is a nightmare i was glad my husband lost his job (he had a car crash wrote the car off and couldn't work) because they dropped his hours from thirty to six which takes us out of WTC and onto jsa and housing benefit until they push his hours back up but if you chop and change you wont get anything at all because they wont allow that apparently with universal credit this will all change because it will be able to pay you the money from the relevant department how i dont know but it will apparently

Jumblebee Sat 10-May-14 17:15:36

I think if you're a couple you have to work 24 hours minimum between the 2 of you, with one of you working at least 16 hours per week. (But I may be wrong!)

So if you're working 16 hours and he works at least 8 each week you should be entitled to WTC. My DP is also on a zero hour contract but luckily works at least 30 hours each week. It's a bit of a pain though because we have to make sure that on the form we say that our earnings are an estimation and his monthly income is an average of what he gets paid because some months he gets slightly more than others.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now