Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Urgent London hospital help please

(34 Posts)
Bogeyface Sat 10-May-14 09:58:32

If someone had suspected food poisoning and were staying near St Pancras station, which hospital would they most likely be taken to?

Thanks

AuntieStella Sat 10-May-14 09:59:38

UCH is just up the road and has a big A&E.

What's up?

TitchmarshTeethmarksQuint Sat 10-May-14 10:02:19

University College Hospital is nearby.

Would they be taken to hospital though?

Bogeyface Sat 10-May-14 10:02:19

My dad sad

Him and mum due to go on holiday today via Eurostar, just had a text from mum to say he is in hospital, they are not going, but she didnt say which hospital! DSis and I are going to fetch them when he well enough, but she isnt answering her texts atm.

SeaSalt1 Sat 10-May-14 10:02:44

I'd guess the nearest would be UCLH, which is not far at all. Perhaps someone else could confirm.

SeaSalt1 Sat 10-May-14 10:03:58

sorry x post. I hope your Dad feels better soon.

Bogeyface Sat 10-May-14 10:05:05

Thanks, I did wonder if it would be but there is another nearby too and not being a Londoner its all greek to me!

Fingers crossed it isnt too serious, but he has other serious health issues which is the really worrying thing sad

TitchmarshTeethmarksQuint Sat 10-May-14 10:06:44

He may not be taken to UCH though, sometimes they take to the most relevant, like a gastro dept which is available.

TitchmarshTeethmarksQuint Sat 10-May-14 10:07:25

How long will it take you to get to London?

Bogeyface Sat 10-May-14 10:15:01

It will take about 2.5 hours to get there.

QuintessentiallyQS Sat 10-May-14 10:18:00

Both St Pancras and UCH are near St Pancras. Both have a&e departments. I suggest you just make your way to the area and wait for your mum to update you with what hospital.

AuntieStella Sat 10-May-14 10:19:01

UCH has more than one site, but it's a teaching hospital and has every deparment that you can think of. It's possible that he's ended up somewhere else, but unlikely.

I hope your DM is in touch soon, and that DF recovers quickly.

QuintessentiallyQS Sat 10-May-14 10:20:03

Are you going by car or by train?

In either case I would aim for Euston station in your shoes.
If by car you should be able to find off street parking in nearby streets, it is not a "weekend area" iyswim. Like Gordon Street, Endsleigh Gardens.

If you want to cheer yourself up, you are in walking distance to Tottenham Court Road, where you will find coffee shops, and great furniture....

JustAboutAdeqeuate Sat 10-May-14 10:21:48

UCH switchboard is 08451555000 - you can call ahead and get put through to A&E. They won't tell you anything but should confirm if he's there. Hope he recovers soon.

Bogeyface Sat 10-May-14 10:22:17

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

We are going by car, that way we can pootle back taking as much time as we need if Dad is still feeling ill. We need to know if he is being kept in first...

Ring the hospital and ask if he's been admitted to their A&E. They won't give you any information on his condition but ime they can sometimes confirm whether someone's booked into the system - not tried with UCH but done that with other London hospitals.

perhaps she has no signal, or has turned off her mobile while in hsopital .

QuintessentiallyQS Sat 10-May-14 10:26:23

Maybe he can be given some anti emetics for the journey home, to make him more comfortable?

Bogeyface Sat 10-May-14 13:12:47

Looks like it might be gall stones. They are talking about keeping him in so DSis and I are heading down there to keep mum company, we have a room at the premier inn behind St Pancras so any tips of places to get something to eat would be appreciated!

Thanks again for your help smile

glorious Sat 10-May-14 13:26:53

There's a few things in St Pancras station, pizza express across Euston rd (main rd) or good indians on drummer st (ask for directions, quite well known and not far)

glorious Sat 10-May-14 13:27:16

And hope he gets well soon thanks

MissBetseyTrotwood Sat 10-May-14 13:30:19

The Friends' Meeting house cafe on Euston Road opposite Euston station is a lovely oasis of calm and nice food. I always recommend it on threads about the Euston/St Pancras/Kings X area.

WaitMonkey Sat 10-May-14 13:32:40

Hope he's ok. thanks

AuntieStella Sat 10-May-14 13:35:48

The cafe in the Wellcome collection is a bit overpriced but quite good. And adjacent to a sciency-oriented Blackwells if you fancy buying some real books. Plus the (free) galleries will give you something to do.

It's also opposite Euston station (must be nearly next to the Friends?)

Matildathecat Sat 10-May-14 13:40:56

That area is right on the edge of the congestion charge zone. If you go onto it by mistake for gods sake remember to pay said she with reason the know this very well.

Mil has been in hospital for a week with severe d&v apparently a virulent virus. Hope he's ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now