Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Should I get a kitten?

(36 Posts)
BigRoundCheese Fri 09-May-14 23:22:33

I live with my son (2.8) in a flat. I think the technical term is a 'coach house', so our front door is downstairs, and leads straight up into our flat. I've been considering getting a pet for a while. I couldn't have a dog here, not enough space, no garden etc, but I'm thinking a cat could find itself quite at home... What to do, what to do.

ithaka Fri 09-May-14 23:29:47

Do you have access to a garden? I don't, personally, think it is fair to keep a cat indoors all the time.

BigRoundCheese Fri 09-May-14 23:32:12

I don't have a garden but there is plenty of green space around. This is one of the things I'm struggling with, I'd be happy for the cat to go outdoors, but the only point of entry is the front door and a cat flap couldn't go in it, so it'd have to be let out and in.

I have indoor cats and FWIW the vet always says he's relieved when people have indoor cats. If I thought there was any sort of cruelty about their living I wouldn't have got them.

OP cats are wonderful. I would point you in the direction of Cats Protection smile

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 09-May-14 23:36:25

Kittens are a pain.
They run up your wallpaper, bookshelves and legs.

How about an older rescue cat that is used to children?

Letting the cat in and out won't be a problem if you're happy to do it.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 09-May-14 23:41:49

Is it worth waiting till your son is a little older since you do have that option?

It's just that at his age he may be a bit rough with a cat, and he may unintentionally hurt it, or the cat may retaliate if he gets a bit too much, and hurt him.

BigRoundCheese Fri 09-May-14 23:42:22

I am thoroughly torn! I think it would be lovely for my son to grow up with a pet, but they are hard work... Though book shelves and wallpaper aren't a problem at present, the brand new carpets are. Oh and smelly litter trays.

I've had a look at cats protection, but if I'm honest I'd like a pet that would be with us for quite a while. Although they may have younger cats I suppose.

BigRoundCheese Fri 09-May-14 23:44:13

My son isn't the sort of child to go near an animal without fully assessing the situation. He's not the bravest of souls.

ThatBloodyWoman Fri 09-May-14 23:47:21

A cat won't necessarily harm your carpet -or at least no cat I've had has.
But it's likely they may try to scratch your furniture.

You'll be able to get young cats from a rescue.

If the cat us to be an outdoor one, the litter tray will be temporary -but possibly draw your son like a magnet.......

Think on it as long as you need.There's no rush.

kickassangel Fri 09-May-14 23:57:13

We have cats and they are a major joy in our family. Dd is an only child and every day our cats make her happy. Honestly, they are absolutely the best thing we did.

If you can get a few scratching posts ( not just one) they are less likely to scratch. Also, if there are things that they can climb up then cats are not so desperate to get out.

hiddenhome Fri 09-May-14 23:58:43

Get a female, they tend not to want to wander off as much as males. All my neutered males wandered like crazy and have all been killed. My two females live in front of the fire.

OP I got a brother and sister pair fr

..stupid phone. From cats protection, boy 12 mths girl 8 mths.

Also in my experience cats are very resilient to children's advances grin

BigRoundCheese Sat 10-May-14 00:07:16

I was thinking a male might be easier than a female. No idea why though. I'll have a good think on it. Thank you for all the replies. They are really helpful.

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 10-May-14 00:10:44

I think on balance a spayed female is easiest.

BigRoundCheese Sat 10-May-14 00:11:57

Thinking has turned into cooing over adorable kitten photos. I have no willpower.

We got two 8 month old kittens from a rescue in February. Our dd's were 6 and 18 months at the time. Best thing we ever did - we all adore them. They were fully litter trained and playful without being too crazy. They haven't scratched anything but their scratching post and haven't had any accidents. They are neutered males but don't tend to wander too far. We haven't got a cat flap as I work from home most of the time so the back door is open but when it's shut they don't fuss to go out - I didn't realise quite how much cats laze around! They are shut in overnight and we don't hear a peep from them.

They are fab and despite being the least enthusiastic about getting them I love them smile Have had no problems with them and toodler dd. They do give her a wider berth than elder dd but she is pretty good with them.

ithaka Sat 10-May-14 18:44:05

I currently have a 6 week old kitten & she is a joy (I got her so young because she had to be taken of her mum at 4 weeks when she collapsed).

If you have outside space she can go in, then go for it. I have never had a cat flap, I just let my cat in and out, so I don't get visits from neighbourhood cats or mice brought in.

DIYtrainee Sat 10-May-14 18:49:40

Why would you NOT get them?!

Kittens/cats are fabulous pets.

EasterSundaySimmons Sat 10-May-14 18:54:28

I live in a coach house too!

We have a car and it's a minor inconvenience having to go down to let her in and out. We do have a garden but she only goes in there when she sees us, otherwise she is off roaming the countryside around us.

She now has a routine and we only let her out maybe once or twice a day as she tends to go out for ages then come in for ages to sleep and then repeat!

We don't have a cat flap because the door is modern PVC front door.

The back door is situated at the rear of our garage, but our garage is converted to a proper room, but it's more convenient to use the front door.

I like cats and have had a few over the years, the current one is snoring her head off on the desk by me smile But...... I would wait. At some point over the next few years your son will be begging you for a pet (regardless of whether you already have one) and it would be lovely to be able to "give in" and let him choose one of his very own.

Wolfiefan Sat 10-May-14 19:10:38

We got a 2 year old and 18 month old from a rescue. Still kittenish but not scratchy etc.
Some cats are not able/willing to go out. Look at websites of rescues. I personally would wait until DC a little older.

We got a 2 yo rescue and had her till she was 17yo (so you get years even from an adult)

Our girl had been a pet cat who had been allowed to have 4 litters (and was pg with Batch 5) then her owners decided they "didn't want the cat" and sent her to Rescue. She was neutered and came to us (Rescue were unaware she was pg until the vet operated, she was so skinny)

She didn't approve of DS (or DD) but tolerated the invasion (she was 11 by the time DS was born)

I have tow indoor cats, they are siblings and lovely, we dont have a garden and they are just fine, they play with each other, and ignore all the toys i provide.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now