Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

OMG my driving test is in NINE DAYS

(69 Posts)
DrLizShaw Tue 06-May-14 15:19:27

<frightfart>

It's sort of just dawned on me. I have a long lesson coming up on Saturday and I might be able to practice in my car a couple of times but OH DEAR GOD. Talk me down. Please!!

lavendersgreen Tue 06-May-14 16:52:37

I know it's scary but when you pass it will change your life!

Good luck DrLiz, I hated learning (but so glad I did).

Will keep everything crossed for you smile

DrLizShaw Tue 06-May-14 16:57:08

Thank you lavender. I sort of feel as ready as I'll ever be but I'm worried I'll do something stupid like go up on the kerb.

Also, just out of interest hmm, how much do examiners frown upon people forgetting to change down gears when slowing down for roundabouts. ..?

<innocent whistle>

emuloc Tue 06-May-14 17:00:01

Oh OP how exciting. Have you been learning for a while. I have my test coming up soon and have been on the lookout for some test tips.

pissedglitter Tue 06-May-14 17:03:46

I tried to treat mine like another lesson with a different instructor

Good luck

DrLizShaw Tue 06-May-14 17:03:59

Hi emuloc, I've been learning since Jan. I've probably had about 15 actual lessons plus I've been lucky enough to get my own car which I've practiced in. Although that's been a mixed blessing as while it's done wonders for my confidence it's also made me develop some bad habits! When's your test?

emuloc Tue 06-May-14 17:27:59

In June, I have been having a lesson a week since last May. This will be my second test. It is helpfull if you can have private practise as well as paid lessons as you know. I am driving my husband mad with it all as he says I turn every conversation back to my learning to drive. I read books on it and really look forward to my lessons as I feel it is bringing me closer to my goal.

There was a really good thread on here a while ago about others ladies sharing their driving stories.

DrLizShaw Tue 06-May-14 17:48:28

Oh good luck! When was your last test? Do you mind sharing what happened?

overitalready Tue 06-May-14 18:13:48

I passed mine in Feb. Honestly I was fine until the morning of the test and then the nerves hit.

I think it helped that I didn't tell anybody until it was all over. I told work and dp I had a doctors appointment so nobody would call blush

I talked a lot throughout the test. Not sure if that was a good or a bad thing though.

My examiner was very helpful if I'm honest. He gave me lots of tips and a few hints here and there. I took the wrong turning but because I had done all my mirror checks and had my indicator on I had taken the wrong turn safely.

I was very lucky because I had no parking manoeuvres.

Check everything your doing twice. Checked your mirrors? Re check them. Indicator on? Just double check. Safe to pull out? Then go for it. Don't sit and wait until there's nothing coming for miles. Keep up with the traffic. If the speed is 30 and the traffic is moving at that then do the same. Don't think I'll do 20 here just to be on the safe side.

And remember if you fail there's always next time thanks

DrLizShaw Wed 07-May-14 07:46:52

overit that's helpful, thank you. For some reason I seem to have a natural knack for parallel parking (weirdo) and turning in the road but I still don't feel like I'm 'reliable' enough at anything IYSWIM.

emuloc Wed 07-May-14 14:42:51

Well on my test I froze when I had a meeting situation and ended up not going anywhere. The examiner had to intervene, so I got a dangerous for that. I also failed on my reverse around the orner.

I drove better when I knew I had failed, as if the pressure was off. I really am not looking forward to my next test, I am just trying to drive safely and learn.

emuloc Wed 07-May-14 16:19:40

bump

SleepyBum Wed 07-May-14 16:25:56

I have my test in 7 days! I am unbelievably nervous so I have no pearls of wisdom, but am cyber holding your hand in solidarity grin

overitalready Wed 07-May-14 16:52:26

Emuloc - I hated reverse round the corner with a passion. Much easier now i can do it on my own without having to ensure im a mm away from the bliming kerb!

I also had the meeting situation & froze. Thats where my examiner was helpful. He was hinting & i wasnt hearing him, was waffling away whilst waiting for the other car to move. It was only when the examiner shouted 'do something Overit' that i realised it was the other drivers priority so i had to move. I moved & then cried blush

I honestly think the examiner was on my side & willing me to do well which helped alot.

DrLizShaw Wed 07-May-14 18:23:17

Sleepybum what date is that? Good luck!

emuloc Wed 07-May-14 20:13:28

Overit on my test sheet I got a serious for the meeting situation. I will not make that mistake again thats for sure!

You were on the driving thread a while ago. How do you find driving on your own? I also wonder if Kingbeat passed her test.

emuloc Wed 07-May-14 20:30:25

I pray I am asked to bay park on my next test.

DrLizShaw Wed 07-May-14 20:32:31

There definitely seems to be a certain amount of interpretation when it comes to deciding whether a fault is serious or not. I slightly mounted the pavement during a parallel park and my instructor said that would be a fail as it's potentially dangerous, but perhaps that would depend on the situation?? Obviously will try not to do that during the test....

DrLizShaw Wed 07-May-14 20:36:47

emuloc I pray I'm not! It's unlikely as, rather brilliantly, there is no parking at my test centre.

overitalready Thu 08-May-14 05:48:41

Emuloc - Ive spoken to King. King was having a little holiday from driving for abit. Hopefully shes back to it now.

Im ok now. The 1st month or so was scary out there on my own! I would get butterflies & the leg shakes before i got in the car. Infact the 1st month was like doing my test everyday. Ive had a few 'mishaps' but nothing major. I also did a motorway lesson which really helped.

Im still not at the point where i can say its the best thing ive ever done but im beginning to see the pros more than the cons.

Dr - How are your nerves holding up? Getting closer now grin

SleepyBum Thu 08-May-14 10:22:19

Dr its on the 14th - feels like it's come round waaaay too quickly for my liking. My last couple of lessons have been appalling too, I'm absolutely crapping myself! I've started making the most basic mistakes which I've never done before either...

I'm sure I would totally freeze in a meeting situation too,I doubt myself in any decision I have to make independently and end up flapping blush

Am just praying that my maneuver (sp?!) is a turn in the road!

It sounds like you will be fine though to be honest, lots of road experience - and well done on your parallel parking skills! I hate doing that!

DrLizShaw Thu 08-May-14 12:33:04

I'm ok, I'm trying to convince myself that the butterflies are excitement, that it's going to be fun etc. hmm

glad I'm not the only one who has the frequent occasional bad lesson. Last time I was approaching a roundabout for some reason I couldn't find second gear and then I panicked as a massive lorry was coming!

DrLizShaw Sat 10-May-14 14:28:51

I had an awful lesson this morning. Just drove really badly. My instructor even suggested seeing if could move the test back a week to take the pressure off sad. It was all nerves though, plus he took me to an unfamiliar area to practice roundabouts. I think putting the test off is only going to exacerbate my stress though. I've psyched myself up for Thurs so I want it over either way!

TheHappyMonkey Sat 10-May-14 16:06:28

I passed in March, I was totally shocked to pass as I royally messed up my reverse bay park, hit the curb twice and twice the examiner told me what to do..eg, hmmm happy monkey you may want to slow down and go into 1st gear now.
I approached my test as a practice test and just kept telling myself that it wasn't a REAL test, I was just seeing what it was like so I'd know for next time. I almost fell off my chair when he passed me.
Learning to drive on my own has been a whole different world of fear. I found overits comments quite reassuring as I have been shaking like a leaf and after 7 weeks I'm only just starting to relax. Still too scared to go on the motorway though.
Anyway I'm waffling, basically my advice is don't think of it as a tea, think of t as a practice test or a lesson with a different instructor. It worked for me!

TheHappyMonkey Sat 10-May-14 16:07:43

Not a tea, a test obviously smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now