Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

American (USA) TV/movies - are things real?

(352 Posts)
Undercurrent Mon 05-May-14 19:02:08

Whenever you see a child's bedroom in American shows the beds usually seem to double size in a huge bedroom. Is this normal for middle class families? Or is it just aspirational stuff and not real life?

Also, (the movie Bridesmaids, for example) is it normal for police officers to just pop into a bar for a drink while in uniform?

Any Americans out there to shed some light?

olaflikeswarmhugs Mon 05-May-14 19:05:26

I have no idea I'd like to know too !

I'd also like to know if all Americans put blankets over their whole babies while in pushchairs , or if that's just a celebrity thing grin

olaflikeswarmhugs Mon 05-May-14 19:08:29

Do you also notice that the bedrooms are always cluttered with trinkets and ornaments . Id never be bothered to clean a room that cluttered blush

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 05-May-14 19:11:35

A lot of beds for kids are full size which is just about the same as a UK double.

Whenever I see babies out in their car seat strollers they usually have a cover over them. Baffles me especially as we live somewhere that gets v hot in the summer.

emmelinelucas Mon 05-May-14 19:16:58

One thing that has always puzzled me is that when someone goes into a house, the lamps are always on.
The electric bills must be enormous.

honeycrest Mon 05-May-14 19:19:59

Well I'm not american but I live in the US. My 2 year old daughter has a double bed and a lot of the newer builds here only have double bedrooms.She only has a big bed because she was used to co sleeping and wouldn't sleep in a toddler bed. When we were looking for a bed for her most of the kids ones online were singles and it's nearly impossible to find kids bedding in double size so I don't think it's that common.

Hattie23 Mon 05-May-14 19:23:56

And do all US phone numbers start with 555 because they all do on telly!!

turtleback Mon 05-May-14 19:24:07

Bedrooms are massive compared to the UK. Difficult adjustment living in the UK! Unlike honecrest, I actually know several people who put their children straight in to a double bed.

turtleback Mon 05-May-14 19:24:53

555 is a fake area code! Only used for TV and films so real people don't get hassled

turtleback Mon 05-May-14 19:25:56

goodbyeyellow I used to put a cover over pram to keep the sun off baby

turtleback Mon 05-May-14 19:27:07

The lamp thing is probably do to fluidity when filming. We were constantly told to turn lights off by our parenst

turtleback Mon 05-May-14 19:27:59

actually a lot oof baby cots convert straight in to a double

YoureBeingASillyBilly Mon 05-May-14 19:29:55

I have a question. Do they not have beer pumps in american pubs? In all the shows they get beer in bottles but on uk tv a beer will be in a pint glass from the pump.

BMW6 Mon 05-May-14 19:31:38

I want to know how, when someone goes into a dark room and switches on the light by the door, the table lamps all come on too.........

And why do you often see people cutting up their food in the "normal" way, then put down the knife, move the fork into the right hand and just use the fork to eat?

honeycrest Mon 05-May-14 19:31:42

They do have beer pumps in pubs

honeycrest Mon 05-May-14 19:33:24

And some plugs are connected to the light switch. So if you plug the lamps into those they come on with the switch. Some rooms in the house I live in don't have a main 'big light' on the ceiling, just lamps.

TucsonGirl Mon 05-May-14 19:33:58

"And why do you often see people cutting up their food in the "normal" way, then put down the knife, move the fork into the right hand and just use the fork to eat?"
That's how americans eat.

turtleback Mon 05-May-14 19:40:09

Yes, I'm afraid that's how we eat. Which is why I get quite sad when I see people on MN tlaking about people in restaurants with "bad manners" using their fork and knife "wrong".

I can't eat your way.

doziedoozie Mon 05-May-14 19:47:17

Yes, they are quite impressed by our way of eating.

I think it was the fashion a while ago to have no central light, so sitting rooms have table lamps only, or maybe a few recessed lights nowadays with a dimmer switch (but those are a new idea).

Not sure about beer pumps, I drink Corona which is bottled.

Most houses are huge compared to UK ones, unless you are in the middle of town in an apartment. Possibly because heating bills are low in eg Texas, California because the climate is warm, and they have the space so why not build big ( a bit like Australia).

PrincessBabyCat Mon 05-May-14 19:48:54

American here.

Kids get full sized beds if they want, there's not really a bedroom that can't fit that. In my experience it's typically girls get full sized beds and boys get twin sized in their rooms, and boys typically fill the extra space with TV stands and game systems.

Blankets over babies: Yes, until about 8 weeks to protect from germs or to help them sleep.

Lamps light switches: You have an outlet that turns on with the light switch. So if you have an extension chord, then you can have as many lamps as you want turn on. We have ours rigged so the two couch lamps turn on in the living room. At Christmas, I put the Christmas tree in one of the light switch sockets so I can just flick it on and off. But we don't have an over head ceiling light either in rooms like that.

Yeah do they all drink out of red cups?
Do they all have pool parties?
Is it really cool to be class president?

I've just realised I eat like an american. Oh dear

YoureBeingASillyBilly Mon 05-May-14 19:50:02

"And why do you often see people cutting up their food in the "normal" way, then put down the knife, move the fork into the right hand and just use the fork to eat?"
That's how americans eat."

This is how i eat. I thought normal! How do other people eat? Do right handed people not find it awkward to eat with their left hand? confused

MrsDeVere Mon 05-May-14 19:52:12

Can I ask?

American houses always look massive downstairs with loads of rooms. Then there are lots of bathrooms but the kids always seem to have to share a room.
Do American houses only have a small number of bedrooms compared to the size of the house or is it just a plot device for sit coms?

Are American high schools really like that? Do they all have Jocks and Cheerleaders, freaks and nerds and are they really that horribly bullying?

PrincessBabyCat Mon 05-May-14 19:59:14

Ok, the red cups. They're cheap and you can throw them away. That's why we use them. Otherwise we'd be doing tons of dishes after parties because it's just habit to get a new cup each drink. If the cheap cups were blue, we'd be drinking out of cheap blue cups. I never understood everyone's fascination with our plastic cups. grin

Class predisent organizes the class reunions for the 10 and 20 year reunions, or at least ours is. Uhm.. yes, it's cool to be class president. It's a popularity contest, but you're also in charge of events like prom, and dances.

Undercurrent Mon 05-May-14 20:00:32

Good high-school question MrsDeVere - and do the schools have car parks for the students (eg, Beverly Hills 90210 style)? We were only allowed to drive to school in the final year and parked in the surrounding streets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now