Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If you are or were taking anti depressants, are you be brave enough to say so?

(162 Posts)
SoleSource Sun 04-May-14 21:51:12

I started Setraline 50 mg on Thursday.

I am feeing better already, got anxiety and depression.

How have you been taking them for?
Which kind and dose?
Did they help you?

smile x

nomorequotes Sun 04-May-14 21:52:36

I used to take 100mg sertraline and 30mg mirtazipine.

Sertraline was good but made me jittery. The two together worked wonderfully.

I stopped taking them on new years eve.

Em3978 Sun 04-May-14 21:53:14

I'm not shy about my depression, I find honesty helps.

I'm currently only on 10mg Citalopram as an ongoing dose forever.

I've been on and off AntiDs since I was in my teens.

They help! :D

TheReluctantCountess Sun 04-May-14 21:53:26

I have been on Citalopram for seven years and I have been on the reduced dose of 20mg for about 5 years. It was hard at first but has really helped me.

hazeyjane Sun 04-May-14 21:54:25

I take a very low dose (10mg) of citalopram, for a combination of anxiety and horrendous pmt. They have helped enormously.

Shakey1500 Sun 04-May-14 21:56:31

I was on Fluoxetine 7 years ago. Unfortunately I had a bad reaction to them, a side effect I find isn't readily explained.

I appreciate I am in the minority though and that, for most people, they are a help.

HappyMedium Sun 04-May-14 21:56:38

I've just come off fluoxetine. It helped. I hope yours continue to help you. smile

AMillionNameChangesLater Sun 04-May-14 21:58:27

I was on Citalopram (45mg) for ages.

I'm not ashamed of it. If I had a headache, I'd take a painkiller, depression was no different.

I had fairly bad pnd with ds1. I'm open about that, and the need for ADs. I wish people were more open about it

Wolfiefan Sun 04-May-14 21:58:31

Citalopram. Started earlier this year. Anxiety, depression and stress. Just been referred to mental health nurse. Looking forward to being well.
Wishing you all good health and happiness. x

OafOrForksAche Sun 04-May-14 21:58:32

I've recently come off fluoxetine. They were amazing. I'm not ashamed to talk about it smile

wannabesedated Sun 04-May-14 21:59:20

I used to take Efexor and, to be honest, it wasn't a good experience at all. Made me very fuzzy and tired, knocked the anxiety out to some extent but the depression was still fairly awful and I had too much brain fog to stay on top of daily life. I was 19 when I first went on it, and found out later that it's not recommended for teenagers. With hindsight my GP should have got me off that and tried something else, but not all GPs are very good at mental health stuff.

But I know lots and lots of people who've had excellent experience with antidepressants.

sillymillyb Sun 04-May-14 21:59:28

I have been on all sorts over the years. I was on ad's from age 18-30 pretty much constantly. I hope they help you, they really helped me once I had found a brand I could get along with.

Euphemia Sun 04-May-14 22:00:08

I'm on 20mg Citalopram. I've felt better since I asked for help. smile

Tenrec Sun 04-May-14 22:00:58

Don't think so. I recently started liquid fluoxetine (physically couldn't get Sertraline down, side effects were pretty big for me) and it's a lifesaver, but my anxiety hasn't completely gone away and I don't think I'm brave enough. Realistically, I know a colleague who's completely open about it and everyone supports and likes her, all my friends couldn't care less and would just want me to feel better and aside from my birth mum, my family would be supportive.

I was on mirtazipine for 3.5 years for an episode of depression. Pretty much everyone I knew ended up knowing about it because I was so unwell. I managed to reduce it down, and have now been off them for over a year. They helped me through (along with other therapies and support) a really very difficult period in my life.

Tenrec Sun 04-May-14 22:03:26

Although I'm on melatonin and am fairly open about the fact that I have sleeping issues because I'm worrying, but I haven't actually said 'I have depression and anxiety' iyswim?

GeordieMama Sun 04-May-14 22:03:39

I've been on and off them over the years but I have bipolar so when I was just on antidepressants (before being correctly diagnosed) they made me very ill (manic).
Just taking my mood stabiliser at the moment but will take venlafaxine during depressive episodes (came off it when I was pregnant and luckily haven't needed to go back on yet).

Tenrec Sun 04-May-14 22:03:56

I think my sentence was a bit garbled there?

SoleSource Sun 04-May-14 22:03:58

Who knows/knew you were taking them? There is still a stigma attached to them, I have heard lots of ignorant/nasty remarks about the people that take them over the years

I told my Sons teacher as I burst out crying in her office last week as DS had an accident.

morethanpotatoprints Sun 04-May-14 22:04:46

I think people should talk about depression and the meds they take, unless how do we learn anything.
I have lived with depression including manic periods since I was 21.
I don't take anything although gp has given prescriptions/tried many times.
I daren't as back then whatever I took made me worse and I wouldn't want to become dependant on them again.
In my case the meds made me worse and one time my now dh then bf found me in a catatonic trance, staring at the tv.
I tried to walk into a mere, believing I would be fine, I can't swim.
The tablets were diazapan and tamazapan, they are evil fuckers.
I did try Prozac for a while in the 90's these were marginally better.

SoleSource Sun 04-May-14 22:05:59

No, Tenrec, not garbled at all. smile

madasa Sun 04-May-14 22:06:59

I have been on Citalopram for about two years.
Have reduced from 40mg to 30mg and going to reduce further soon.
I think they literally saved my life.
Hope you continue to feel better x

Dancingqueen17 Sun 04-May-14 22:08:04

I have been on ad's continuously for 10yrs currently on duloxetine. They help me to live a normal life.

I was on lots of different types for PND and then my anxiety disorder before it morphed into (was diagnosed as) bipolar instead. I'm on lots of lovely tablets for that now instead grin

Huge believer in tablets over here. Huge. Massive.

Tablet Takers of the World Unite! grin

MummyBeerest Sun 04-May-14 22:09:13

I tell people, should the need arise. I'm on 40mg of Paxil. It works, and has undoubtedly saved my life.

Glad things are looking up flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now