Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Think this book is about MN

(26 Posts)
ChristmasBaby14 Sun 04-May-14 18:48:59

"Yvonne has one outlet: Netmammy, an Internet forum for mothers. Here with an online pseudonym and absolved of the need put on a brave face, Yvonne can finally unload all of her hopes, fears and cries for help without fears of censure". This quote is from a review of a new book by Sinead Crowley.[hmmm]

LemonMousse Sun 04-May-14 18:51:03

Hmm indeed - 'NetMammy' sounds suspiciously like <whispers> the other lot grin

BertieBotts Sun 04-May-14 18:52:09

Could be about any internet forum, really, they've been around for decades now. I don't think there's any rule about including internet forums in books is there? Except that any book which tries to use technology and especially the internet as a plot point is always dire in my experience

Whats it called? x

thornrose Sun 04-May-14 18:53:55

Surely if it was about MN it would be MammyNet, it's definitely the other lot grin

BlueJean Sun 04-May-14 18:59:27

Ive just had a peek at the synopsis and it looks like an interesting read.

DrankSangriaInThePark Sun 04-May-14 19:03:20

Sounds godawful.

joanofarchitrave Sun 04-May-14 19:04:23

'without fears of censure'

I don't think it can be MN tbh.

ChristmasBaby14 Sun 04-May-14 19:04:46

Sorry I am typing from iPod and lost last message! "Can anybody help me?" by Sinead Crowley

It'll be the other lost. We only have very occasional murders here.

ChristmasBaby14 Sun 04-May-14 19:07:24

So much so that when Miriam twiohy a young. Dublin mother is murdered yvoonne rings the police because she thinks the description matches that of her online friend

Cheboludo Sun 04-May-14 19:08:22

I've read it and I think mumsnet has definitely been a huge inspiration for the author.
It's very enjoyable, I can see it being a big hit with MNers.

ChristmasBaby14 Sun 04-May-14 19:09:50

When detective sergeant Claire Boyle takes the call she doesn't see much promise in the net mammy angle-

usualsuspectt Sun 04-May-14 19:12:45

We have loads of Miss Marples on here.

That murder mystery would have been solved within 100 posts with our help.

I've just down loaded this, I'm a total wuss though is it going to give me nightmares confused

Cheboludo Sun 04-May-14 19:23:11

Storm - it shouldn't. There's no graphic violence, as far as I remember. Hope you enjoy it smile

ChristmasBaby14 Sun 04-May-14 19:25:45

Quote from review "The writing is simple and uncomplicated rather like the language of the net forums it imitates yet Crowley does a nice line in skewering some of the petty conventions of motherhood".

Nah, changed my mind- not MN

Cheboludo Sun 04-May-14 19:27:45

Christmas - Crowley is the RTE arts correspondent, there's no way she was on netmums! grin

ChristmasBaby14 Sun 04-May-14 19:33:18

Too busy?

Maybe Rollercoaster?

GarlicMaybeNot Sun 04-May-14 19:41:39

Is this the one where some loon with a grudge identifies the poster, and uses the forum to exact evil revenge?

Or is there a sub-genre of Mumsnet based thrillers? grin

Thank you cheb smile

revolutionarytoad Sun 04-May-14 19:44:41

Sounds a lot like that book 'Can Any Mother Help Me', anyone read that? About a group of mums who all wrote letters to each other for years and it got made into a book.

Yvonne: AIBU?
MN Consensus: First world problems. YABU and entitled.

Book ends. No, can't be MN

GarlicMaybeNot Sun 04-May-14 20:06:33

Sounds a lot like that book 'Can Any Mother Help Me'

Yes! That was it! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now