Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Bags for life Grrrrrrrrrr

(21 Posts)
Frontdoorstep Sun 04-May-14 17:45:00

I shop online and shopping is delivered without bags, which is great. Sometimes dh pops into a shop and comes out with a bag for life, which he puts in a cupboard and then never remembers to take it with him next time. Tbh that's not surprising because he doesn't always know when he'll go into a shop.

My cupboards are kept tidy and these bags for life clog up my cupboards no end. Today I chucked several in the bin. Throwing away bags for life defeats the purpose of them, I know, I mean their purpose is to stop you throwing away carrier bags. But, I really don't them. Grrrrrr

Does anyone else really not like bags for life.

AlpacaPicnic Sun 04-May-14 17:48:34

Don't throw them away! Ask your local library if they would like them... They are great for carrying library books because they are quite sturdy with a good sized gusset.
Libraries are always grateful for bags to give to customers!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Sun 04-May-14 17:50:09

Could he keep them in the boot of the car and then they are handy to take in when he pops by the shop? Or tell.him.to just get the normal carrier bags and use them as small bin liners

Frontdoorstep Sun 04-May-14 17:50:44

Our local library closed down several years ago

meditrina Sun 04-May-14 17:50:47

If you cannot find anywhere that will reuse them, then there are recycling banks at quite a lot of supermarkets.

Nocomet Sun 04-May-14 17:52:04

Don't throw them away, stuff them in the boot of DHs car so he doesn't need to buy another.

He needs training to stop wasting money on bags and to get used to having one as everywhere will charge soon.

Frontdoorstep Sun 04-May-14 17:52:17

Sometimes, he does get normal ones and I have used them as bin liners before. That is a good idea.

Strawdolly Sun 04-May-14 17:52:26

Charity shops often take carrier bags too.

Mrsjayy Sun 04-May-14 17:53:02

keep them in the car then you wont forget, we do take our own bags with us to the supermarket we had to buy an aldo 2p one today dh was sweating grin I like them and i wouldn't throw them away

Move to Wales .
We get charged for carrier bags
Everyone remembers to keep one handy

Frontdoorstep Sun 04-May-14 17:58:00

He gets them in marks and spencer and they only cost 10pence each. Admittedly he only gets them if he buys a lot of stuff. Often he does just get a little bag.

Mrsjayy Sun 04-May-14 17:59:13

loads of shops in scotland are charging too our local spar charges 5p bugger that i will carry my milk ta ,

Nowitscleanugobshite Sun 04-May-14 18:03:20

NI charges too. I got a free paper bag with a gift voucher yesterday and it was nearly the cause of great rejoicing!! Not quite sure if it's saving the environment though as I now have to buy bags for the kitchen big which I never did before?!

BalloonSlayer Sun 04-May-14 18:03:23

My pants are sturdy with a good sized gusset!

I shall use them to carry my library books home in.

< excited >

specialsubject Sun 04-May-14 18:04:09

they live in the car.

we cannot keep covering the planet with plastic and it is selfish to do so. Take a bag when you go shopping. It's not hard.

a billion people don't have toilets. We can manage to generate a little less rubbish, I think.

MrsDeVere Sun 04-May-14 18:05:39

My OH gets a sodding bag for life every time he goes to the co op because he never remembers to take one of the old ones.

We end up with so many he uses them for bin bags.

I point out that the friggin bin bag cost us 10p.

Yet still he does it hmm

I started collecting those freebie jute/calico bags years ago and now have loads so I take them everywhere with me.

I rarely use plastic nowdays <polishes halo>

BUT I am often asked if I want a bag and I say 'no thankyou' and the cashier just puts my stuff in one anyway.

So I sigh and move on.

Mrsjayy Sun 04-May-14 18:05:43

e had to buy an aldo 2p one today dh was sweating

Aldi obviously

Mrsjayy Sun 04-May-14 18:07:21

I use the ladybird tesco ones for when we go away in the caravan put shower stuff in them no end of usefulness they are

MaryWestmacott Sun 04-May-14 18:09:41

Buy your DH one of these then attach to his key ring. Problem solved.

eltsihT Sun 04-May-14 18:13:56

You know how you fold a crisp packet into a triangle. I store out plastic bags for life folded like that so the don't jump out and surprise me.

Lolrt Sun 04-May-14 18:14:14

WHSmith charge 1p a bag hmm which is a bit pointless IMO. But I don't think charging stupid amounts like 1p is going to deter anyone. People who buy enough stuff in M&S to fill a whole bag for life surely have 10p to spare anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now