Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

If you were at hospital with a very poorly child - what would help you/ would you need?

(31 Posts)
youarewinning Sun 04-May-14 10:10:44

A collegue I get in very well with and would consider a friend is at the hospital with her DD who is very poorly. (Needing MRI etc).

She has been extremely poorly herself and just got over her illness of 3 years. She is also very generous and always giving me clothes her DS2 has grown out of.

I know she has a DH who can help her but I want to drop a package at reception for her (she doesn't need intrusions at this time) of things she may need/want to help her take care of herself.

So far I'm thinking:
Baby wipes
Coffee
Hand cream

That sort of thing.

Any ideas?

youarewinning Sun 04-May-14 10:11:38

Fruit?
Biscuits?

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 04-May-14 10:16:30

i was in hospital with ds for 8 weeks when he was 3.

magazines and books
toiletries
foody treats
nappies - if child is in them
change for phone etc
juice

ill try and remember more.....it was a long time ago.

Blondiebrownie Sun 04-May-14 10:16:49

Magazines for her and her DD?
Puzzle books?
Drinks?
Toiletries?
Sweets?

PutOnAHappyFace Sun 04-May-14 10:23:05

I really liked people bringing in proper food, canteen sandwiches get really boring really quickly.

ThatVikRinA22 Sun 04-May-14 10:24:52

i couldnt eat and i went down to 7st 10lb. so tasty nice things might go down well....

youarewinning Sun 04-May-14 10:26:33

Thanks all - these are great.

KleineDracheKokosnuss Sun 04-May-14 10:27:13

Real food. A couple of easy-to-read books. Spare change. Wipes. A list of useful numbers (including a pizza delivery place that will deliver to the hospital).

youarewinning Sun 04-May-14 10:39:26

So thinking:

Toiletries - and baby wipes
Hand cream and lip balm
Some decent food/ snack items (thinking packets of dried fruit/ flapjacks etc/ snack a jacks)
Squash/ coffee
Magazines

I'm going to buy one of those nice bags you put gifts in and a card.

LIZS Sun 04-May-14 10:41:55

Water spray bottle, fruit juice cartons/smoothies, treat size packs of biscuits etc, small scented pillow

Strawdolly Sun 04-May-14 10:42:30

Do you know her well enough to offer to do her washing? That was one thing that made a big difference to us. And, as already said, some proper food.

ClaimedByMe Sun 04-May-14 10:43:54

You should hand them to her personally she might appreciate a familiar friendly face.

LIZS Sun 04-May-14 10:45:40

does she have other children ? Leave your number and suggest that dh can contact you if he needs help with them or shopping/meals/washing etc.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Sun 04-May-14 10:52:45

I made my friend a packed lunch everyday as no food is provided for parents and I knew she wouldn't want to leave her son to go to the hospital cafe or shop (plus it would be expensive too do that everyday) she did have a DH to help but thought it would take the pressure off him too.

LEMmingaround Sun 04-May-14 10:55:08

You sound like a lovely friend - totally off the wall, do they have a dog? could you walk it for them? if you have the time of course

AliceInGallifrey Sun 04-May-14 10:59:15

Nothing to add that hasn't already been said, just wanted to tell you that you sound lovely

youarewinning Sun 04-May-14 11:01:30

Thanks for all the advice. Her DD is due an aneasthetic and MRI today. I'll ask reception if she is up for visitors or not? Usually no one is allowed in before 2pm and then only 2 people.
Her other children are old enough to help with house/ washing etc and do it as part of their day but I can offer.

nether Sun 04-May-14 11:08:06

DS's best friend has been hospitalised for some months.

His mother really appreciates coffee bags - you can quickly spend a small fortune in hospital coffee shops. Tea bags if you know she prefers them, plus sugar sachets.

Nice snack food. And I'd suggest small quantities frequently as storage can be an issue (and things walk from communal fridges).

Thick moisturiser which can double as hand cream.

Books, or if she has a Kindle with her, voucher.

Also talk to her DH about what practical things you might be able to do for them - doing a load of washing (if you can go to their home, or have it dropped off with you), help on school run (if other DC are that age and at same school or ones with compatible length school days), having other DC round to play or taking them for a day out.

And keep an eye on when she might want to start having visitors. Living on the ward can be demanding, and even going for a quick coffee can be a beneficial break (getting out into natural daylight, brief change of scenery) though if her DD is very unstable it might be a while before she wants to leave bedside. Also, if she is using social media or has a phone with her, message/text frequently. She might not want to reply all the time, so you need to be alert to avoid overload, but generally it's a positive thing to know people are thinking of you.

Bobloblaw Sun 04-May-14 11:12:04

The juice cartons that don't need to go in the fridge were always handy and the coffee/hot chocolate sachets that didn't need milk. The foaming alcohol free hand sanitiser is good too, my hands get sore from the horrible gel very quickly.

I liked company apart from during operations etc but lots of people there liked having someone to chat to while they had to be apart from their dc during the op/anaesthetic. Even 10 minutes feels like an age when you're waiting.

youarewinning Sun 04-May-14 11:14:18

Thanks that's great. She is using Facebook so know she has her phone.

I've been texting and ringing her as her dd been ill for a week - suspected flu. I text and didn't hear from her and it's only because she posted a FB message thanking everyone for texts, apologising for not replying but dd is hospital that I discovered how bad it had got. (Obviously understand why she didn't reply - her dd is her priority!)

Right time to get dressed and head to tesco and then hospital. I feel so useless as nothing helpful I can do illness wise but really want to do 'something' to help.

Fideline987654321 Sun 04-May-14 11:14:36

Dry shampoo

zoemaguire Sun 04-May-14 11:17:38

Home-made brownies! Or other delicious, calorific cake. Sometimes you need concentrated energy that doesn't make you feel ikky like a bar of chocolate or other hospital-bought food.

Sirzy Sun 04-May-14 11:20:20

Dry shampoo

Travel sized toileteries (space around beds is a at a minumum and its amazing how quickly things pile up!)

Magazines for her her her LO

Offer to take washing home and clean things for them.

Ready meals if there is a microwave for parents use of the ward. If not some nice sandwiches or something

I would actually text and say "What can I get for you that would help" that way if she fancies something in particular she can tell you.

ilovemonstersInc Sun 04-May-14 11:30:33

Just want to say you sound lovely.
Both dc are in hosp a lot and I found it helpful if someone bought a good home made meal up to us, some new toys for dc (I dont mean expensive toys the best he got was a beany baby) or a magazine to cheer dc up. I would have loved it if someone would offer to take care of the other dc while dh could sit with the one in hospital while I got a shower at home. Sadly this was never offered and it was dh family who bought dc toys and it was dh friend (whom id never met before) who bought us a home made meal up (well he got his sister to make a few things for us)

flowers

Fizzyplonk Sun 04-May-14 11:36:24

Maybe a new pillow- not expensive as hospitals are often short and can be binned after.
Is she staying overnight? Maybe some plain cheap pajama bottoms/yoga pants.
Lucozade/appetiser.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now