Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Teachers - can you help me settle an argument please?

(53 Posts)
olivo Sun 04-May-14 09:06:48

How much time do you spend working at home? And how'd o you sort it? I asked DH if he could entertain the children today as I have loads of work to do and a pretty tight deadline. I worked last night, and will do tonight and tomorrow night, but would like to spend the day tomorrow as a family day.
DH says he knows no other teachers who have to do so much work at home. His bf is a teacher but in a subject with little marking, and his wife doesn't work, so he does not have all the household/ children stuff to do on top of work.

I am feeling overwhelmed and these sort of comments from him don't help. I am an experienced teacher, btw.

Goblinchild Sun 04-May-14 09:58:21

Antoinette, you said that you worked a couple of hours at home, I used to work for around 2 1/2 hours at home every evening Mon-Fri.
Same, no?

lechers Sun 04-May-14 09:59:42

I teach Humanities A levels, and so have a very heavy workload. All my marking is A level essays. No flick and tick for me.

I find I work every day at school (finish at 2pm to pick the kids up) and then do 3-4 hours in the evenings. I don't work Friday evenings, but often start Sunday evenings (about 4pm ish for the next week). I try not to work holidays.

However, I find It is impossible to do it in less than that. This is the minimum I do, sometimes it's more. The exam board decided in March that it was going to totally rewrite it's subject for September. So now, I have to totally rewrite my lesson plans, schemes of work, methods of assessment for Sept, as per college policy that I will have to have my SoW in place for Sept.

It's easy for people to say you can do it less if you're efficient, but I think that fails to recognise that different schools / subjects / key stages place very different demands on what is / is not acceptable!

Nocomet Sun 04-May-14 10:16:48

DD1 said she felt sorry for her teachers on Thursday. She had spent the whole day writing Drama and English practice papers. She said she'd written loads and her usually dreadful handwriting had got even worse.

She's dyslexic and her spelling and writing are massively hard work to decipher on a good day. She felt very sorry for her teachers marking as this was not a good day!

olivo Sun 04-May-14 10:18:23

How lovely to have such a thoughtful DD, no comet. I had on Thursday,from one student, 'can't I just have some more time and you can mark it next week?' angry

Same in terms of amount of time Goblin, I was just gobsmacked that you get up in the middle of the night to do it! I'm a nightmare if I wake up in the night so props to you.

SuffolkNWhat Sun 04-May-14 10:24:39

When at work (am on maternity leave at the moment) it is a minimum of 2 1/2 hours at school after school ends. Then another 2-3 hours each night after DD is in bed. Weekends I work the majority of Saturday and try to leave Sunday free but at report writing time that is taken up too.

NCFTTB Sun 04-May-14 10:27:59

I spend the whole of Sunday afternoon working (primary.) I also work through all the breaks I am not on duty and most of lunchtime.

olivo Sun 04-May-14 10:36:01

Thank you again, the more you add, the more I see I am pretty normal in terms of what I do.

minecraftismysaviour Sun 04-May-14 10:44:20

just gearing up for 2 day marking stint. had my day off yesterday sad you are not alone sad

Goblinchild Sun 04-May-14 10:45:40

So now you need a partner who understands that it isn't you being over-meticulous, badly-organised or fussing. smile

olivo Sun 04-May-14 11:23:52

grin

aneatercog Sun 04-May-14 12:07:37

I teach secondary English and have the mark load from hell.

While DH is sometimes miffed at how much I have to work at home, it's not at me, it's at the job teachers have to do. He savages people at his work who bang on about teachers' holidays, and gives them chapter and verse about the marking, emails and prep I do. grin

This weekend, 60 scripts, with separate feedback sheets in addition to the comments on the work. One exemplar essay written by me.

I still fitted in watching "Caligula", "Never Let me Go" and "Welcome to the Punch". But then it's been pissing down for two days now.

BigRedBall Sun 04-May-14 12:32:57

Watching with interest. What about ks1 and eyfs teachers? Do you have loads to do after school and on weekends too? What about half terms and holidays? How much work do you do then?

LizzieVereker Sun 04-May-14 12:45:52

You're not alone. I teach secondary English.

School finishes at 3.30, I usually stay till 5.30 to mark or prep. I go home and see DCs, eat dinner etc. I then work from 8.30 till 11 pm ish, and most of Sunday.

This week coming I have to present to Governors one evening, which will mean 6pm -7pm. Next evening I have to accompany a student to a competition, 6pm till 8.30pm. Next evening, Parent's Evening, 4pm till 7.30pm. I am panicking about when I will write 90 reports and do extra revision classes for 6th formers. Before school maybe? I was wondering if I could take marking to do at the competition, but that would be so rude to the students.

DH is v helpful with housework and the DCs, and has been really supportive, until last weekend when he flipped out at me. He says he's worried I'll get sick. He wants me to say no to things, but what can I say no to? I get where he's coming from, I really do, but I cannot make my workload less. I'm an old hand, I know all the short cuts, I'm ruthlessly efficient in my "frees" etc. I have said no to working Saturdays, to do revision classes.

Sorry, that was long. I feel for you OP thanks [links arms emoticon]

Goblinchild Sun 04-May-14 12:56:14

BRB, the level of assessment and annotation is still significant in KS1, and in EY, the record-keeping of evidence for children that can barely write is of epic proportions.
Still marking with positive comments and steps for improvement, and the differentiation required means making resources tailored to that.

Goblinchild Sun 04-May-14 13:01:09

I think that you make a good point Lizzie.
I'm an experienced primary teacher and the decades of experience make no difference to the workload. It doesn't get easier; in many areas I struggled more than an NQT with their extra time, lack of a curriculum responsibility and in many instances, their lack of children.
Most jobs get easier with time, if you don't take promotion. Not teaching.

Philoslothy Sun 04-May-14 13:05:46

I taught mainly History, am on Maternity leave at the moment.

I worked from 7am until 6pm in school and then a few hours at home every evening from Monday to Thursday. I would try not to work weekends but often did about 4 hours.

Philoslothy Sun 04-May-14 13:06:13

I don't work in the holidays.

tiredbutstillsmiling Sun 04-May-14 13:07:30

I'm a secondary English teacher. I work 4 days so can spend one quality day with DD (unfortunately can't remember quality time with DH due to hectic work/life balance).

Typical day: get up at 5.00 am and work til 6 am. I then get myself and DD ready and I drop her off at nursery at 7.30. I then work again til 8.30. School day ends at 3.30 and I'll work til 4.30 so can spend some time with DD before she goes to bed. I rarely work evenings as more of a lark (especially at moment as I'm 28 weeks pg!) but I'll get up extra early at weekends. I prefer working then as the house is quiet.

Not sure how I can keep in doing that til I'm 68 though! Hoping to have paid off mortgage and then can go work in Asda or something!!

tiredbutstillsmiling Sun 04-May-14 13:09:04

Looking forward to my "year off" come September! Maybe that's the solution - pregnancies every few years!!

Goblinchild Sun 04-May-14 13:10:50

I think the fact that the primary curriculum changes so often, that people swap year groups, that the planning expectations and assessments change frequently and confusingly, all add up to constant revising of what and how you will teach and to which groups.
Which involves working in holidays, in order to be prepared.

MissMillament Sun 04-May-14 13:28:27

I'm a secondary English teacher. I get into school at 7.45 each day and leave around 6.15. Very often I then work for a couple of hours after the kids are in bed, although I try to take a midweek night completely off. Weekends I make sure that Saturday is completely family time and then I ususally work for 6 or 7 hours on Sunday. I am constantly behind on my marking and always feel I could be doing more. My DH is amazingly supportive and does more than his fair share of housework and childcare in term time; I reciprocate in holidays although I still work a couple of days a week in half terms and holidays. It isn't helped by the fact that my department has no schemes of work and I am new so I have to plan from scratch for everything.

BigRedBall Sun 04-May-14 13:36:09

Goblin if you're an organised person does it make any difference? Do you get faster with experience?

BigRedBall Sun 04-May-14 13:37:21

Sorry didnt refresh before posting. You've pretty much answered my question already goblin thanks.

Everyone know teachers only have to work 9-3 innit.

This time of year is especially bad. It does balance out at other itmes of year slightly - so some good days and some bad.

I did teaching degree - I struggled with the work load on placement - I remember people telling me it would get better when I qualified...I told them they were mad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now