Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Why do people think I need a coffee maker/ food processor or bread maker?

(28 Posts)
MelonKim Sun 04-May-14 08:19:41

every birthday and xmas - 'we were thinking of a food processor'...

I cook loads, i don't need one, I have never had coffee from one of those pods ( we jut have it black) nicer than from a cafetiere and if I wanted to bake bread I would have to eat it all the chuffing time.

MelonKim Sun 04-May-14 08:19:58

plus its just more shit taking up room, isnt it?

RoseberryTopping Sun 04-May-14 08:30:06

I'll have your bread maker, always wanted one of them but never get round to buying it.

luccamum Sun 04-May-14 08:59:05

Got all three, use them everyday.
Maybe tell them what you do want.

MelonKim Sun 04-May-14 09:20:38

oh yes i do, I think its just remarkable how these things keep coming back to haunt me!!
First world, I know.

DogCalledRudis Sun 04-May-14 09:23:35

Breadmaker is very useful.
But it is annoying that people think household items are a suitable present for a woman. Try giving the same to a man!

MelonKim Sun 04-May-14 09:24:36

its my family - its ok. I cant think what i need a FP for,,, unless making two hundreweight of coleslaw?

Euphemia Sun 04-May-14 09:25:18

I love my Nespresso. It's the only thing that gets me out of bed. smile

Maybe they think you'd like a FP/CM/BM?
You clearly don't, so tell them grin

I love my bread maker and use is several times a week - have done for 5 years.
Coffeemaker is DH's toy - I couldn't care less about it and would not have one myself, but do drink the coffee it makes grin
I have a food processor, massive, v expensive thing, given as a wedding present some 17 years ago and it's been used…. twice.

Horses for courses.

momb Sun 04-May-14 09:28:27

coleslaw is much nicer cut by hand. The processor chops too finely.

Anyhoo, if they thing you like kitchen stuff they'll keep suggesting the bits you don't have. Tell them what you want: at least they are asking you first not just buying it!

sarahandduck Sun 04-May-14 09:29:36

I love my food processor....use it for everything. Wouldn't be without it now.

I bought a small food processor last year because I thought it would turn me into Nigella but I don't know what to do with it blush I've made hummus, which was nice, but when I've tried to use it to chop onions etc it just turns them to mush.

MelonKim Sun 04-May-14 10:33:01

lol at houmous.
those pod coffee things are always a) shitty small portions
b) bitter - really horrible bitter coffee

I drink grimacing saying ' ooh yes so nice"

thinking " get yourself a bag of macchu picchu and a Tesco cafetiere' wink

Trooperslane Sun 04-May-14 10:41:45

What Rudi said.

My DF gave my DM some towels and an iron one Xmas.

shockshockhmmhmm

It was all picture no sound for a week.

Next year she got a vvv expensive gold watch grin

You'll get:
a foot spa
a home waxing kit or a No-No (thermotip hair frazzling device)
ant-ageing cream

then you'll be glad of the Food Pro (they make brilliant pastry, Your hands don't touch it until the rolling out stage)

MelonKim Sun 04-May-14 10:47:19

i think I would like a roomba

CoconutAmericano Sun 04-May-14 11:18:54

As an aside, what do people use their food processors for? I bought one last week to make brownies and ive made hummus which were both a big success but im now short on ideas for other uses. Op, i love my nespresso machine. I only make one or two coffees a day but they are delicious! I actually properly love that machine.

coconut how did you use it for brownies?

CoconutAmericano Sun 04-May-14 11:43:54

I followed a recipe from deliciouslyella's blog. It uses prunes cacao powder and nuts. They were fab!

CoconutAmericano Sun 04-May-14 11:45:20
noddyholder Sun 04-May-14 11:47:11

have coffee one couldn't be without now so strong you don't have to have milk! Agree though all the others are dust collectors our cupboards have several I cook a lot and never use.

mismylinford Sun 04-May-14 12:11:24

At least you get told/ asked about gifts you'll receive.
My dad must go into a shop and think hmmm what is least thing aims will need this year.. So far I've had

A heated blanket (for a single bed... When i had a king size with dh)
A rice cooker
A pair of skiing gloves (ok useful for snow days but im not going skiing)
A set of game of thorns mugs ( never watched it or expressed interest in any way)
Finally for my birthday .. 2 bottles of wine (when he knows im pregnant)

I've tired hinting for things... Heck even telling him what i would like/need. But now it seems like a family joke what crap will i get next!!

Ebayed unwanted gifts.

PasswordProtected Sun 04-May-14 12:12:53

Breadmakers are a waste of time. My husband bought one years ago and did use it, but I thought it was a faff and a half, so I gave it away when he died. If I want to make bread I do it by hand (and get much better results).
Food processor, well I do use mine, but probably not more than 2 or 3 times a week or in the winter to grate swede for pasties or if I have fresh beetroot to grate for a salad, so I wouldn't discount the offer of one.
Coffeemaker, hmm that is my big weakness. I do still have the first automatic drip-through one that I bought in 1990. It still makes an excellent cup of coffee.
However, last year I indulged in a Jura machine that grinds the beans and can do clever things like espresso, ristretto and ordinary coffee at the press of a button. It was VERY expensive, but as there is only one of me and I like my coffee first thing, it was a good buy.
With the drip-through you needed to make 6 cups minimum to get a decent cup of coffee (freshly ground beans etc.). On Sunday mornings no problem as I would drink the entire pot whilst reading the papers, but these days all I need is a mugful, so rather wasteful for a single-person household.
Both the food processor and the coffee machine live on the kitchen counters, ready for action. Anything that you think you will use regularly should be immediately available, otherwise it is a waste of space, so you might consider using that argument if you do not have much counter space.

Bogeyface Sun 04-May-14 12:29:08

I had a breadmaker and it was an expensive dust collection device!

I have looked at the coffee machines, as I do like my nice coffee, but the pods never seem to come in decaff latte, cappucino etc, just plain so I make my own.

My food processor is fantastic and while I dont use it that often (maybe once a month) it does its job really well. Its like the difference between tightening a screw with a screwdriver and tightening one with a knife. Yes the knife will do the job, ok ish, but the screwdriver does it properly!

I also have a KitchenAid which I use several times a week.

Each to their own, the problem is that you dont know you will use something (or not) until you have one! I really thought that I would use the breadmaker as I love baking bread but rarely have time. The loaves were too small for us and it was too much faff, but my BIL uses his every day!

expatinscotland Sun 04-May-14 12:33:16

I use all three 5-7 times a week. If you don't need them, just tell them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now