Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

would you knock on strangers door - poo related?

(80 Posts)
shggg245 Sat 03-May-14 21:47:48

This happened today - middle aged, well dressed couple knocked on my door, the woman desperatly needed the loo!

I was mortified as my house looked like a bomb had gone off but I let her in and made sure she had hand towel and inspected loo to make sure it was acceptable. At least she opened the window but blimey the pong!

Dh says I should've refused but we live in a fairly remote location and they seemed trustworthy. I didn't want to appear tight.

Is it me or is this quite a strange thing to do? Personally I wouldn't have the bottle. So wwyd?

Coconutty Sat 03-May-14 21:49:13

I would have said no.

Is anything missing?

Methe Sat 03-May-14 21:49:14

Depends what they looked like tbh!

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-May-14 21:50:02

It sounds like she was really desperate. You are a very nice person. She may have IBS or Crohns etc when you really have to go.

WorraLiberty Sat 03-May-14 21:50:20

No I wouldn't have

While you were inspecting the loo and fetching the towel, was anyone there to keep an eye on them?

shggg245 Sat 03-May-14 21:51:31

No I had a paranoid moment earlet and thought they could have been sophisticated thieves but thankfully nothing missing!

Just weird.

Spinaroo Sat 03-May-14 21:51:37

I don't think I would have had the bottle either but she was clearly desperate and could see no alternative. Sounds like she may have had a ticky tum. Get the bleach out!

tallulah Sat 03-May-14 21:51:56

A few years ago I'd have said strange. But having had bowel cancer, nope. When you need to go you need to go, and you say you are remote. What did the man do while she was in the toilet?

everlong Sat 03-May-14 21:51:58

I would have said no.

Some random person using the loo? No.

Sparklingbrook Sat 03-May-14 21:52:09

Did she have to go upstairs?

SumBex Sat 03-May-14 21:53:09

My job involves knocking on strangers doors all day (not a chugger or a debt collector or even postie) and I have perfected the art of holding on all day because I wouldn't dare ask to use a strangers loo. I've had this conversation with my colleagues before and some said they'd ask to use the loo and have done, others are like me and would never ask.

I would have said yes because I'm far too polite.

MajesticWhine Sat 03-May-14 21:53:29

Extremely odd. Nice of you to let them in though.

HecatePropylaea Sat 03-May-14 21:54:12

I am unlikely to have answered the door in the first place. I don't tend to.

But if I had, then I think I would have found it impossible to refuse if I knew there were no public loos available. If there were, I'd give them directions to the public ones.

Unpleasant as I am sure the smell was I think the fact that there was one means it is less likely they were there to steal from you or get a feel for the place and more likely the poor woman had been clenching and clenching and was about to experience a poonami.

Unless criminals hold it in so they can poo in your house so that you think they are genuine. grin

DaffodilsandTruffles Sat 03-May-14 21:54:25

If she looked really desperate I'd have said yes but he would have been politely asked to wait outside I think.

shggg245 Sat 03-May-14 21:54:29

I know could've been a scam I've heard of such things. Not sure I'd do it again.

Appletini Sat 03-May-14 21:54:41

I would have said no.

libertytrainers Sat 03-May-14 21:54:53

poor woman i would have let them nice you did!

TheFairyCaravan Sat 03-May-14 21:54:57

I'm on the fence.

I have IBS and have been desperate, never enough to knock on a stranger's door though. But my mum gets terrible diarrhoea with little warning and I've seen her purple in the face trying to find a loo. So, I might let someone use the loo and then think "WTF?" after!

WandaDoff Sat 03-May-14 21:56:30

I'm pretty sure there is an old law in Scotland that says you must let people in if they knock & ask to use your toilet.

Joylin Sat 03-May-14 21:57:03

I have twice, once for a couple of lost tourists, second for a middle aged woman who couldn't hold it in long enough to get to the nearest pub. I'm probably a bit more suspicious in the last couple of years but I'd judge them on whether they looked trustworthy. When people have ulterior motives their body language is off, sincerity is hard to fake.

wanda I am not sure I would let anyone in my street use my bog ;)

ClubName Sat 03-May-14 21:57:59

No, in a remote area I have been known to go behind a bush - there's no way I would knock on a stranger's door.

No idea how I would react to such a request. I'd probably be so surprised I'd meekly agree and realise much later that it could be a scam.

Hecate makes a good point though - at least you know she did actually go!!

WandaDoff Sat 03-May-14 21:58:43

The last one on this link

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17610820

IAmTheGodOfTitsAndWine Sat 03-May-14 21:59:23

I would say no, because if it happened where I live, it would be someone up to something dodgy. There is a pub right at the end of the road, I'd direct them there.

If I was in a remote location, I don't know what I'd do.

WorraLiberty Sat 03-May-14 21:59:36

I'm not sure about that Joylin

Distraction theft has been rife around here at times and many of them are very plausible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now