Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

My 5 year old dd wants to know EXACTLY how daddy puts the seed in mummy's tummy to make a baby.

(33 Posts)
CoconutAmericano Sat 03-May-14 17:33:11

I told her mummy and daddy kiss and cuddle and i ask him to put a baby inside my tummy. But this wasnt enough information apparently! She wanted to know exactly how daddy put the seed inside me. I was totally taken aback. Just didnt realise 5 year olds ask these questions yet, naive me! Anyway i told dd i would get a book which explains it all. Can anyone recommend one, suitable for a 5 year old please?

PirateJones Sat 03-May-14 17:41:15
CoconutAmericano Sat 03-May-14 17:43:54

Thank you very much for the recommendation

Bogeyface Sat 03-May-14 17:45:40

My friend almost crashed her car when she was having a similar conversation with her DH and their DD. DD said "Doesnt Daddy put it in your mouth then?" and Daddy said "Huh, in my dreams..." grin

Fairylea Sat 03-May-14 17:47:01

Where willy went is really good. Dd had that at about 5 smile

fisherpricephone Sat 03-May-14 17:49:47

Another vote for Where Willy Went. Funny but clear.

CoconutAmericano Sat 03-May-14 17:50:05

Lol bogeyface, typical male response! My dh just looked away grinning, leaving me waffling on! I saw that one fairylea but i ordered the "its not the stork " book for now, thanks! Hopefully it arrives before any more questions.

CoconutAmericano Sat 03-May-14 17:53:04

Oh no i think that one is for 8-12 year olds??

fisherpricephone Sat 03-May-14 17:54:37

Of course Where Willy Went didn't help this morning when DD1 (6) said 'but what if two ladies who are married want a baby?' We had a looonnnggg discussion about sperm donation.

CoconutAmericano Sat 03-May-14 17:56:55

Ok got the willy book too! Covering all bases grin

BikeRunSki Sat 03-May-14 17:58:47

I think I may need to get these books, I fear some Qs may not be far away. DS (5) asked me this morning "if two men want to get married, does one on them need to wear a dress?". His brain is whirring...,,

Raxacoricofallapatorius Sat 03-May-14 18:01:01

Mummy Laid An Egg is good. I just told dd the truth. She was 3 when she asked. On her first day at school she was 4 and when asked to tell her new classmates about herself she gave a v precise speech about her new baby brother who had grown from a sperm and an egg. The reception teacher said she nodded along to the umbilical cord and placenta explanation but drew it to a close when vaginal birth vs CS came up.

ajandjjmum Sat 03-May-14 18:05:20

I was very matter of fact with DD at a similar age, and she began asking about how you'd get a penis in a vagina, so I said it gets stiff and goes in quite easily. She asked 'what happens if it doesn't get stiff?'........

ikeaismylocal Sat 03-May-14 18:25:17

My ds is not at the asking about baby stage yet but I thought you just told them the truth that the man puts his penis into the woman's vagina and the seed comes out of the penis and goes up the woman's vagina into her uterus where it meets the egg and that is the start of the baby.

Are you supposed to use a book? Why?

PirateJones Sat 03-May-14 18:29:23

Are you supposed to use a book? Why?

Because your son will go around weeing on things becuase of seeds.

CoconutAmericano Sat 03-May-14 18:30:08

I defo want to tell dd the truth but because she is only 5 i don't want to frighten the bejaysus out of her by accidentally telling her too much or going too far, so i think an age appropriate book read out to her might keep me on track!

iK8 Sat 03-May-14 18:32:06

I don't understand why just didn't tell her the truth when she asked confused

U2TheEdge Sat 03-May-14 18:32:46

I told mine the truth when they asked.

CoconutAmericano Sat 03-May-14 18:33:19

I suppose i was totally taken off guard. We wre talking about pizza one minute, sex the next! I wasnt ready and she's my eldest.

LittleMissDizzy Sat 03-May-14 18:35:57

My 4 year old asks regularly to see where it was that he came out of my tummy. He was delivered by c-section but I keep changing the subject so far. Will invest in a book to help explain I think!

WitchWay Sat 03-May-14 18:37:37

My DS aged 5 asked how exactly did the seed get inside to join with the egg - we were walking to school at the time so I whizzed through the whole penis-in-vagina thing in two minutes minute flat & that was that.

A few nights later I was tucking him in he & said, "I don't think I want to have children when I'm older. I don't want to do that with my willy "

"It's all right, it's just for grown-ups" I replied

grin

(He's 16 now - perhaps I ought to remind him of the conversation...)

I agree with not lying to children too much about it, but just to mention I've come across more than 1 pair of children whilst teaching (5&6 year olds) trying to attempt various things together to do with this. I've also had parents complain to me that 'little so and so has said he wants to put a seed in little so and so because he loves her.' My mum used to just say to me that I grew in her womb and babies were made when mummy's and daddy's really love each other and the time is right. I know this isn't always the case but Am I being old fashioned thinking this is enough for a 5 year old?

SconeRhymesWithGone Sat 03-May-14 18:50:51

WitchWay I sympathize with your DS. I grew up on a farm. My parents gave me a basic explanation when I asked, but I filled in the blanks through observation. This, however, resulted in a phone call from the school when I told some of my classmates that I was never going to have children because I did not want some man jumping on my back to make a baby.

Canthisonebeused Sat 03-May-14 18:53:32

You are being old fashioned and it's perfectly normal that children do and say the things you described. You just then need to take the talk a little further about their own body being private etc. I got a real stuck up parent in the playground lecturing me that it's not fair my dd knows about this when little x doesn't, what if she tells him all about it when she doesn't want him to know. There are plenty of life course events that children experience and understand at different stages it's too bad if that does not coincide with every other child at the same age.

PirateJones Sat 03-May-14 18:53:43

I've come across more than 1 pair of children whilst teaching (5&6 year olds) trying to attempt various things together to do with this.

Which is why people really want to have age appropriate books to help them approach it.

I know this isn't always the case but Am I being old fashioned thinking this is enough for a 5 year old?
It's fine for most, but some children do ask and want more details so they understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now