Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Thankyou mumsnet for this washing tip

(38 Posts)
careeristbitchnigel Sat 03-May-14 08:04:18

Someone said about watering down fabric conditioner. Always keen to save money i thought i'd try it for a bottle. Well thanks ! No discernable difference in the washing smile

I stopped using it altogether years ago, again no discernible difference except the clothes don't smell of artificlal fragrance. Win-win!

dexter73 Sat 03-May-14 08:19:34

You don't really need to water it down, you could just put less in.

DrainPhobic Sat 03-May-14 08:19:48

Why do you have to water it down? Couldn't you just use less?
I do find using it makes a difference to the washing, it's softer and easier to iron with conditioner in.

Annianni Sat 03-May-14 08:20:07

I stopped using it months ago, there's no difference except the clothes smell of powder instead of comfort.

DrainPhobic Sat 03-May-14 08:20:38

Cross post with dexter

mummytime Sat 03-May-14 08:48:21

I haven't used it for years, it set off DDs eczema. No problem, and now with a tumble dryer towels are softer than ever.

AlpacaLypse Sat 03-May-14 08:50:48

I haven't used it for years. It makes things feel soft, but towels become useless for their proper purpose, absorbing water.

trixymalixy Sat 03-May-14 08:52:28

Just don't use it. I stopped years ago and notice bugger all difference. It's a con.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 03-May-14 09:13:47

Depends where you live, surely? Soft water area = no need at all, esp if you have a tumble drier. Hard water area = only way to avoid crispy towels and rough clothes, even with a tumble drier. (I'm exaggerating, but only slightly)

No, we live in a very hard water area and haven't used it for years, don't miss it at all. Line dry as much as possible too. Towels are crispy but I like them that way, clothes are absolutely fine.

HotSauceCommittee Sat 03-May-14 09:28:50

I do like a crispy towel. That is all.

tmae Sat 03-May-14 09:34:07

I live in a very hard water area and it makes a big difference to our clothes, I never remember to use it normally and get quite rough clothes (I have no tumble drier so maybe this is why, perhaps?) but when I do use it, my clothes go all soft. I'm currently wearing a jumper that usually feels like I've put on a giant brillo pad but today it feels like I'm wearing a jumper that was woven with clouds.

PastaandCheese Sat 03-May-14 09:36:35

I live in a soft water area and only use it on bed linen because I love the smell on sheets.

FamiliesShareGerms Sat 03-May-14 09:50:39

Like a crispy towel?? Not a big fluffy snuggly towel?? We really are all different, aren't we grin

grin at today it feels like I'm wearing a jumper that was woven with clouds tmae that sounds heavenly grin

Bed linen with FC fragrance is one my my pet hates <glares at MIL>

Yes, all different. smile

Poughle Sat 03-May-14 10:20:10

I don't use fabric conditioner, but I think I read somewhere that if you chuck a tennis ball in the dryer it has the same effect

dexter73 Sat 03-May-14 15:22:52

Crispy towels baked in the sun on the washing line are just heaven! So nice and scratchy on your skin. Towels dried in the tumble drier in the winter just aren't the same.

squoosh Sat 03-May-14 15:25:41

Oh yes, a nice rough towel for me please!

Darmok Sat 03-May-14 15:30:21

I stopped using it because someone told me it was perfumed tallow from rendering down corpses.
I miss it though.
I'd be glad to hear it wasn't true.

MerryInthechelseahotel Sat 03-May-14 15:30:45

Yes, me too! I love a towel that has been dried outside. I use conditioner only with clothes that might get all electric otherwise. I just use Aldi conditioner don't need to water it down as it is almost as cheap as water

mrssmith79 Sat 03-May-14 15:34:04

Surely it doesn't need watering down if it's being diluted into a big drum of water anyway? Am I missing something?? And another vote for crispy towels here grin

RustyParker Sat 03-May-14 15:53:35

I thought fc also acted as a sort of stain guard too?

My DC's school shirts stay white and I don't do anything special with them compared to others I know, only use fc.

fatlazymummy Sat 03-May-14 15:54:18

I stopped using it about 20 years ago, even though I live in a hard water area. I've never missed it.
I can remember when it was introduced around 1970, (at least in our local shops ),it was obviously just something created by the manufacturer to get people to spend more money on something no one really needed. A bit like shake and vac - but that one never really caught on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now