Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Bastard bastard slugs...

(40 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Fri 02-May-14 11:21:39

Have eaten everything in my garden practically. I bought a white poppy that I haven't even planted yet. It's still in its pot. They've had that, bloody nothing at all left. The twats.

All the rest. Chomp chomp chomp chomp. Greedy fuckers angryangry

I feel your pain.

Have you tried nematodes - little parasitic worms that eat slugs from within. can buy from amazon Child and pet safe although you do have to reapply every so often

ColdTeaAgain Fri 02-May-14 11:39:34

So annoying isn't isn't it?! I hate the little shits!

OH goes out in the evening and spends 10mins on the decking where all our pots and bedding plants are and puts as many slugs as he can in tin of boiling water. Sounds mad but it works as damage limitation and is strangely satisfying!

Each year I try and find plants for the borders and and pots that the slugs don't destroy in a couple of nights. The weak ones don't get bought again! It's a battle we can never win!

onetiredmummy Fri 02-May-14 11:43:11

Save all your eggshells, let them dry, shove them in a food bag, crush them & then sprinkle them on the soil. Slugs & snails hate them!

Orangeanddemons Fri 02-May-14 11:43:54

I usually buy slug proof plants too. But they seem to have devoured everything this time. Every. Bloody. Thing.

Swannery Fri 02-May-14 11:46:00

They're impressive creatures, you have to admit. V determined, slide through tiniest cracks, climb great heights. Are also territorial, so if you take them down the lane, they will return to your garden. I can't bring myself to be cruel towards them.

stubbornstains Fri 02-May-14 11:49:07

It's a bad year for slugs, unfortunately. A mild late winter and early spring (here in Cornwall we have had no frost at all all winter) means they got started early- about the same time as all the little seedlings sad.

I use organic slug pellets- they're made of ferric phosphate which causes slugs to explode apparently (!), but don't harm anything else.

By the way, you think you have problems? I have them in my house! They invade the veg basket and make themselves at home. DP went to use an aubergine the other day, and one had made itself a little burrow inside. Fuckers angry.

horrendous year. My nematodes dont seem to be making a dent in them this year. I've just found they got into my cold frame and munched on all of my plants sad

WowOoo Fri 02-May-14 11:53:49

You can plant the bulb/root of the poppy as it'll come back next year I think.

Something of mine tried to come back this year, but they have eaten most of it.
Bastards, indeed.

GobbolinoCat Fri 02-May-14 11:56:27

Oh dear,....I have not ventured out yet to inspect...do egg shells really work?

I am holding back on the slug pellets because they do seem to attract them!

BrokenToeOuch Fri 02-May-14 11:56:58

Me too stubborn, every bloody morning I see a trail from the bottom of the stairs to the cupboard underneath - cupboard is empty

ColdTeaAgain Fri 02-May-14 12:01:39

In your house stubbornstains! That's just taking it too far! Twats!

I've tried the organic slug pellets and it didn't seem to help at all.

Please please to anyone reading this, do not use the normal slug pellets!! They kill a lot of wildlife as the toxin builds up in the food chain. Hedgehogs in particular are very vulnerable.

Will be giving the eggshells a go, thanks onetiredmummy smile

WildThong Fri 02-May-14 12:08:27

I used nematodes last year, dosed every month, and just about kept on top of them. Even the Hostas survived.
This year I'm going in well hard, have already watered this stuff in and have got more to go on this weekend. I think that's the key, to dose the soil regularly.

Orangeanddemons Fri 02-May-14 12:09:45

Ugh that aubergine story is horrific. Slug moussaka.

WHERE do they all come from? just where?

ColdTeaAgain Fri 02-May-14 12:12:24

They got you as well BrokenToe? What are the fuckers up to?!

OddFodd Fri 02-May-14 12:12:48

I'm doing organic pellets, removal (into bucket of salty water) and coffee grounds but they still ate through the stem of my beautiful allium christophii and have mullered a couple of my foxgloves. Greedy shites

stubbornstains Fri 02-May-14 12:12:55

They come from hell OP. They are the wriggly spermoids of Satan.

slug pellets can kill your dog, they are not safe!

stubbornstains Fri 02-May-14 12:15:35

I often find them in the bathroom late at night, and flick them out of the open window with a fork. I have no idea what the neighbours are thinking when they hear me shouting "Get out you little slimy fucker getoutgetout^getout^!"

Sigh. I really fancy moving to the desert, y'know?

EvieAndRosesMum Fri 02-May-14 12:21:05

They have invaded out house too.... And multiplied in some hidden location- we had 15 baby slugs slimy slithering about one morning!! And they are destroying the plant. And the grown up ones and MASSIVE and yellow!! Gross gross gross hmm

BrokenToeOuch Fri 02-May-14 12:22:51

They did coldtea, they did. Slimy faceless bastards. I did put down lines of salt and left it for a few nights but once I hoovered it up the slime trails returned. Bleurgh, minging moving bogeys.

mousmous Fri 02-May-14 12:33:48

I resorted to put a cup of salt into the water I clean the kitchen floor with.
nothing worse than finding a slime trail all over last night's freshly baked bread eeeuuwwwwww.
in the garden I used a copper band resonably successful and slug pellets until the plants are big enough to withstand the slugs.
my parents have a kitche knife they use to cut each slug they find into halves and put them into the compost bin.

skinmysunshine Fri 02-May-14 12:46:20

mousmous did that work? I also get them in the kitchen. Bloody hate the things.

ushiemama Fri 02-May-14 12:52:11

GARLIC Garlic Garlic. This is a tip I got when I visited Gardeners World in Birmingham a few years ago & it works. Open your kitchen windows.

1 Garlic Bulb cut up & boiled in water for 5/10 minutes.
When cooled blend with hand blender.
Strain & put into a hand sprayer.
Spray plants, especially around leaves near the soil.

I put the remnants of the garlic around my Hostas.

I wish the slugs would eat my weeds!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now