Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Does anyone else teenager want earphones but they keep failing? where do you buy them?

(29 Posts)
TrinityRhino Fri 02-May-14 11:03:59

do you buy expensive ones so they last?

or buy cheap ones again and again?

TrinityRhino Fri 02-May-14 11:08:01

anyone, pretty please advise me grin

purpleroses Fri 02-May-14 11:10:03

Poundland. The expensive ones break just as fast. We have a poundland stockpile.

Cheapo - Euro shop or Tiger - DD is incredibly hard on earphones & has destroyed about 4 expensive pairs while I've had one pair (still perfect) over the same period.

If she wants expensive ones she can pay for them herself!

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 11:18:28

dd had jelly ones from HMV not sure of the make but where quite eexpensive they broke within a week now she gets them in poundland they work fine

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 11:19:05

were* not actual jelly mind the gel ones grin

wightjellybaby Fri 02-May-14 11:19:52

If sound quality is important get some sienheisser (they make recording studio equipment) ive had a pair for ages and im not careful with them they were medium price I got them from pc world

TrinityRhino Fri 02-May-14 11:21:10

thanks guys

I dont know what is classed as expensive but after pound shop ones that were knackered after a couple of weeks

I bought some sony ones that were on offer for £12 (thinking that more expensive would last better) and one ear had failed after 4 days!

dd1 is careful with them
they live on her desk when not in use
she puts them on in the morning and leaves them 'on', as in around her neck, all day.

so just popping them into her ears as needed and then takes them off and puts them away when she gets home

no scrunching into pockets or tangling up

I was wrong about more expensive being better though
I'm guessing perhaps I didn't go expensive enough?

I'm sticking to cheap and cheerful though

thanks

D0oinMeCleanin Fri 02-May-14 11:21:12

After testing many, many, many cheap to mid range (and occasionally quite expensive) earphones that always broke after a few weeks or sounded tinny to begin with I found the perfect ones.

These have lasted years after previously going through at least a pair a month.

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 11:24:56

DD1 is an earphone snob grin but she buys her own dd2 has her ipod earphones she does use those but wont take them out the house she has cheap ones for when she is out and about and more often than not her ipod ones are always in the fireplace

WheresRyder Fri 02-May-14 11:31:10

Even expensive earphones break after a few weeks/months. DS1 had those dr dre beats in ear ones 2 Christmases ago and they cost £90, they broke after three weeks, we took them back, it was almost a monthly ritual to take them back to HMV for replacement and he was very careful with them.
DS2 has a nice line of funky earphones from sports direct, they look a lot like the skullcandy ones but no fear and are £1.99 again they last couple of months and need replacing but at £1.99 he can afford them on pocket money. Hes had skull candy jvc etc and all break quickly. He's just brought Beats ones at £75 from birthday money, hoping as the design has changed they may last longer but holding onto the receipt!

I've had beats in ear ones for 4 years, only on my second pair so I'd reccomend. About £90 unless you get a phone contract with them included, then they are covered by insurance too.

Mrsjayy Fri 02-May-14 11:36:49

oh dd bought batman ones from sports direct not seen them in a while

my DD is another poundland one, she must replace them about once a month so £12 a year, they would last longer I think but she is very careless with them.

NearTheWindymill Fri 02-May-14 11:43:49

gummys - cheapest in Asda but seem to be the most reliable. Have tried expensive ones and no difference. I don't stress if they lose something for �5.99 rather than �40.00. Have bought them both better quality proper ones to use at home and they haven't really lasted either tbh.

Top tip - when we go on holiday I pack three or four new ones. Nothing on this earth is worse than teenagers spatting over the last pair of working earphones. They always stop working, break or are lost on the journey across France for some inexplicable reason and are not easily found in the South when I don't fancy a trip to Perpignon or Gerona

GiveTwoSheets Fri 02-May-14 11:45:01

Bought DD apple ones via hmv took out insurance each time gave up after 3pairs they kept blowing out, probably cos they meant just for phone and not laptop.

Brought various pound land ones it soon adds up for 5minute wonders earphones that break

DD bought some beats out of birthday money I fell on floor at price but they lasted over a year, she uses them on various devices and isn't the most delicate handed looking after them either.

Trumpton Fri 02-May-14 11:46:26

Trin . Pm me if you want some iPhone White in ear ones .they are in my bag to go to charity shop. They hurt my delicate princess ears . Quite understand if she wants earphone type but these might do as a spare x

GiveTwoSheets Fri 02-May-14 11:47:47

DD beats are the ones that go over head not in the ears types

WheresRyder Fri 02-May-14 12:26:24

ds1 has over the ear beats that he got this Christmas just gone and so far so good no problems, but you can buy replacement cables etc so hopefully if they do break we can just buy new wires.

ds2 brought these ones

these are the ones ds1 had that kept breaking

CountessVronsky Fri 02-May-14 14:12:38

I have the Bose over the ear ones and they are fantastic. Everyone fights over them on flights (I win).

My son had Beats and they were also fantastic, but they broke - he never kept them in their case.

I think when it comes to headphones you get what you pay for.

TrinityRhino Fri 02-May-14 18:03:58

Trumpton, you are a sweetie

I don't know what you call the ones she likes <useless>

they have a squidgy bit that goes right in her ear...

Trumpton Fri 02-May-14 18:43:04

These ones fit in ear but aren't squidgy. Pm me your address and I will pop them in the post to you .

CrystalSkulls Fri 02-May-14 18:52:56

i live by my skullcandy earbuds, they go from 5-15 quid depending which ones you have and where you get them from, the last set i bought 12mo ago are still going strong.

TrinityRhino Fri 02-May-14 19:17:41

Trumpton, you are so kind, thankyou I'll PM you

Crystal, It was skull candy ones that were reduced to £12 in tesco that lasted 4 days

petal2008 Fri 02-May-14 19:30:35

Bose every time. Expensive but worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now