Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Moving to east Devon

(153 Posts)
GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 21:54:07

As it sounds - we are moving to east devon - east of Exeter and not so far east as Lyme Regis.

Do you live there? Do you like it? Would you choose anywhere in particular?

We've been advised to avoid Honiton...

What is so wrong with Axminster - property looks good value there but again we get the feeling its not the 'in' place to be.

Please help we are struggling!

EauRouge Thu 01-May-14 21:59:03

There was a thing on the Guardian website recently about Beer and Seaton, one of those features on house prices, schools etc. Sorry, I can't figure out how to link on my phone.

listsandbudgets Thu 01-May-14 22:01:37
EauRouge Thu 01-May-14 22:03:22

Yes, that's the one! Thank you.

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 22:09:05

My parents live outside Ottery St Mary, which they seem to like. Ottery itself isn't as pretty as some places (although the church is stunning) but it is in an ideal spot for commuting to Exeter, getting to the coast, not far to Dartmoor, OK for M5 and Bristol etc. Are schools a factor in your decision? Tell us what you woudl want, ideally: town, village, sea, city access, affordable etc etc

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 22:17:49

thank you all so much

Schools ARE important but i am desperately trying to put them on a back burner in the hope of getting the right area - sounds odd but i am thinking that hopefully if i pick a lovely area then just plump for the local school - things MIGHT work out

The children are academic and for the younger ones we are looking towards Colyton... ( thats another whole thread and i know all the issues associated with it!)

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 22:19:37

I do not LOVE Sidmouth - its a little staid and schools not great but dh will work there so need to be commutable

Sea is my fantasy but i'm scared of tourists ruining life in summer so would rather be a bit off the tourist trail whilst still able to drive there

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 22:30:46

OK, so your DH needs to commute to Sidmouth. You could go Colyton way and hope for success in getting into the grammar school. Or look at the King's School in Ottery as it is well thought of. From Ottery my parents can be in Sidmouth in 15-20 mins. However, if you're trying to avoid staid I'm not sure what to suggest! Seaton is less posh and feels more like a normal town. Sidmouth is prettier though (and probably a lot more expensive). Thing is, if you have to drive to the sea in tourist season then you have to fight for parking spaces. If you live there you maybe don't have that problem.

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 22:33:02

hmmm biscuitsneeded that is good thinking and makes me appear rather dim!!!

Seaton gets a great right up in the guardian but we didn't think we liked it much - looked a bit soul less!

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 22:34:46

Sidmouth town centre looked nice and we visited on pancake day there felt like good local spirit with races and fun on the front - nice shops etc

the schools do not sound great though from my quick skim of the ofsteds?

Slidingintoindifference Thu 01-May-14 22:35:06

I've just moved to East Devon... rather worryingly to Honiton grin

Given my vast experience of living here (precisely one week and two days) I would say Honiton is actually really nice with lots of fab cafés and quite a few good independent shops. Talking to people at work it seems that Honiton's reputation has improved in recent years. Not sure about schools as I don't have DC, but really like the fact it's a town that appears to be thriving without having to rely on the tourist trade and not very far at all to get to the coast.

Having said that, East Devon as a whole seems lovely so you should enjoy wherever you end up settling.

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 22:35:37

Did you look at Beer and Branscombe or are tehy too small/twee for your tastes?

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 22:35:54

they

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 22:37:53

I was going to add that I went to Sidmouth over Easter, having not been for a year or two, and also was impressed by some of the new shops and general atmosphere. And there is the Folk Festival every summer, which may or may not be a good thing as far as you're concerned!

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Thu 01-May-14 22:38:13

Seaton is a little souless, but it does try hard. I live in Beer - love it, pebbly beach and not on the way to anywhere, means it's not as busy in summer as some pretty villages.
I work in Sidmouth - complete nightmare in summer parking anywhere.

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 22:44:07

ooooh i love you all coming out to talk to me!!!

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 22:45:31

Beer does indeed look and sound quite lovely - am worried that we won't find a big enough house in our price range as we need a few bedrooms ...

I like the idea of the little village school and the beach seems unspoiled

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 22:46:45

i am worrying about the distance from Branscombe to Colyton.
I know there is currently no catchment but i understand that could change

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 22:54:07

If you have small people and you go to look at Beer you will fall in love with Pecorama!

NoraRobertsismyguiltypleasure Thu 01-May-14 22:55:43

Yeah, Beer is pretty pricey, unfortunately. About the only downside!
Branscombe is nice and as it is quite a spread out village some of the house prices can be more reasonable, but it doesn't have a village shop - I couldn't live anywhere without a little shop.
What about the smaller places like Uplyme, Musbury, Axmouth?

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 23:01:12

How many bedroom do you need? Agree about the shop thing, plus Branscombe is quite hard to get to.

GoblinMarket Thu 01-May-14 23:06:12

5 minimum and yes i do have small ones

Biscuitsneeded Thu 01-May-14 23:11:03

Good luck hunting! I just went on Rightmove and there are big enough houses to be had, but I don't know what your budget is! Let us know where you end up!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 01-May-14 23:18:21

How about one of the villages between Exmouth & Sidmouth? Budleigh Salterton is lovely but really expensive I think. There's Colaton Raleigh, Newton Poppleford, Otterton etc. All very pretty little villages, not sure on house prices though.

I am supremely jealous! We have a holiday home in the area and would love to be able to live there for real envy.

What is your budget?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 01-May-14 23:30:12

This is a lovely cottage - but the road it's on is mega busy in Summer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now