Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Would you allow 9.5yr old to walk to shop alone?

(94 Posts)
AryaHouseStark Thu 01-May-14 17:32:27

Shop is 0.3m away (2 streets)? DH thinks yes. I am nervous wreck at the thought. She is road safe, one road to cross with a crossing available. Just wondering if I am being PFB grin

Would you allow your 9yr old?

AryaHouseStark Thu 01-May-14 17:32:43

It takes me 10mins to walk there and back

MamaPain Thu 01-May-14 17:33:02

Yes definitely.

McButtonwillow Thu 01-May-14 17:33:17

Yes, my ds does but with friends usually.

McButtonwillow Thu 01-May-14 17:33:35

Oh and he's the same age.

Taz1212 Thu 01-May-14 17:34:08

Yes, I let DS do so at that age.

TheScience Thu 01-May-14 17:34:13

Yes.

AryaHouseStark Thu 01-May-14 17:38:47

She has returned grin and is very pleased with herself. I feel yuk though. does this feeling go away?!

PirateJones Thu 01-May-14 17:41:37

YEs, and yes it will go away after a few trips.

WorraLiberty Thu 01-May-14 17:43:42

To be honest I would be worried if a child that age, felt they couldn't walk to the shop on their own.

LiberalLibertine Thu 01-May-14 17:44:05

I'd have to say yes, but my eldest is only 6, so I haven't felt the yuk feeling yet smile

usualsuspectt Thu 01-May-14 17:44:46

Yes.

AryaHouseStark Thu 01-May-14 17:45:54

It's not that felt like that worra it's just it's never occurred to me to send her; this was first time. She is more than capable. very sensible girl etc smile

WorraLiberty Thu 01-May-14 17:51:18

I mean if a child wanted to do something that normal, but felt they couldn't because their parents wouldn't let them.

I've got 3 kids so I know 'that feeling', but at the same time some parents are ridiculously selfish. They won't even let their 10yr olds go to the local shops because they worry too much.

You have to take small steps (which you are doing) in order to prepare them for the big wide world.

Actually as I type this, I can also think of at least 3 senior school kids whose parents drive them to and from school. It's actually about a 15/20 minute walk away sad

AryaHouseStark Thu 01-May-14 17:54:34

This is me prepping for high school I suppose. We live 5 miles from the academy she will be going to. She will have to bus it there and back and will have free roam through the town centre at lunchtime. All in just 2yrs confused she was just a baby last week grin

Follow her. Skulking in bushes etc. grin

InkleWinkle Thu 01-May-14 18:04:35

My DD age 9.5 does. Same scenario with roads etc.
Don't think the yuk feeling will go away though because when this one fades there will be something else...

AryaHouseStark Thu 01-May-14 18:24:53

Hahaha hearts lucky for her I had dinner on and a poorly 6yr old on the sofa in her jammis

madasamarchhare Thu 01-May-14 18:33:48

Yes let her go. Just started letting my 9 year old go to the shop about 10 mins away. I agree awful feeling first couple of times then you appreciate how lovely it is that they can do things in their own-especially if I've forgotten something I give her a little list! She loves the feeling of independence but I agree little steps in preparation of the big wide world.

Lovecat Thu 01-May-14 18:35:47

DD is 9.2 and I'm not sure I would, as she has no bloody road sense at all. She's dyspraxic, and this may be why, but she NEVER looks, just steps straight out even when I'm saying to her 'you look and tell me when it's safe to cross' etc. We walk to school every day so it's not like she's unused to roads, just appears to have no common sense at all.

I'm dreading big school...

LingDiLong Thu 01-May-14 18:38:17

Ah, I'm glad you started this thread! My 9.5 year old has also been asking me if she can 'pop to the shops'. It's a little further and across two quiet roads that are off our road which is a bit busier. This is what puts me off to be honest - you have to look 3 ways as you're crossing a junction. My head says she'll be fine, my heart yells a huge list of potential disasters over the top though. I have been girding my loins to let her. Perhaps this weekend I will bite the bullet....

schilke Thu 01-May-14 18:41:56

Yes.

mousmous Thu 01-May-14 18:43:02

yes.
my 7yo has been going to the corner shop for ice cream since lat summer.
it's great that I can send them for the forgotten item I absolutely need to prepare dinner.

if he's sensible and knows his way around absolutely!

EnidB Thu 01-May-14 18:43:54

I love the "follow her" comment. I tailed my son back from the hairdresser, he never knew, until his little sister told on me. It is baby steps, but is is so hard!

atos35 Thu 01-May-14 18:44:42

Op yes you will stop worrying so much about it once she's done it a few times. My ds who is now 11 has been going out and about, walking to and from school, to his friends houses and to the local shop for about 2 years now. I too was a nervous wreck at first but he proved himself to be sensible and I don't give it a second thought now! I did get him a mobile phone though, it just makes me feel better knowing I can contact him if I need to. Good for you for letting her start having some independence, it's so good for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now