Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How clean are you teacups/mugs?

(51 Posts)
Hedgehog80 Thu 01-May-14 15:25:11

If you are a regular tea/coffee drinker are all your cups/mugs still clean on the inside?

According to a close relative the 'tea scum' is not a problem and isn't 'dirt'. I can't believe how filthy her cups are! Having tea or coffee there feels like an ordeal as the inside of the cups are brown or brown/black. Teaspoons are the same. I don't want to offend by saying no to a drink but they look so filthy.
Rest of her house, plates etc all fine so really don't understand why the cups are so bad!

Jubelteen Thu 01-May-14 15:26:30

At home pristine.
At work minging.

JustSquirted Thu 01-May-14 15:26:55

Thats just gross.
I couldnt drink out of a dirty cup.

The dishwasher leaves mine clean. If they're washed in the sink they do need a good scrub to get the stains off. I agree that it's not dirt though, it's just staining. If they're washed in hot, soapy water, they're essentially clean imo.

I scrub at the tea stains and it can be hard but I don't want anyone thinking my mugs are minging.
Ex mil is another matter. All her mugs are tea stained. Hate it. Always give them a good scrub before I use one.

Although should say that I don't think a cup with tea stains is particularly dirty. It's staining if it is cleaned properly but without the added scrubbing and still stained it's not dirt. Tea stains everything it touches.

Hedgehog80 Thu 01-May-14 15:33:40

They just look so dreadful! I tried once to 'do a favour' by washing up when she was ill one day and soaked the worst ones for a while with v hot water and fairy powder-they looked like new after but she was livid and asked me never to do that again!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Thu 01-May-14 15:36:12

urrrr thats vile.

I would decline hot drinks when I went there. I am a big tea fan and there is NO excuse.

arghhelpme Thu 01-May-14 15:40:54

Mine are clean apart from a few grey teaspoon scratches on some cups. I used to drink 10 cups of black coffee a day and have never had a problem with stained cups.

I have had a few teaspoons with tea/coffee stains but they come off really easy with a magic eraser.

FatalCabbage Thu 01-May-14 15:43:50

We have one that's a bit brown (from coffee), but I know a drop of bleach will lift it when I can be arsed to deal with it.

The others are sparkling white inside. I cannot cope with mugs and cups which aren't white inside (eg naice Denby with blue insides).

Pinkandpurplehairedlady Thu 01-May-14 15:44:27

I only drink black tea so the stains are even worsesad The dishwasher doesn't get it all off so tend to leave them to soak in hot soapy water for a couple of hours and then use a microfibre cloth to scrub.

It if I'm feeling lazy I'll leave them to soak in Milton until they're all sparkly!

EyelinerQueen Thu 01-May-14 15:45:30

Mine are immaculate. Elbow grease gets rid of any stains.

If they start to look anything other than pristine I use bicarb to get them back to brand new.

revolutionarytoad Thu 01-May-14 15:45:35

She was livid Hedgehog, why on earth? grin did her lose that special smoky flavour

They're not too bad. I wouldn't mind drinking out of a stained one though.

Mine don’t stain and I wash them normally, no soaking or anything so I don’t think I would drink from a stained cup, it must be dirty surely?

revolutionarytoad Thu 01-May-14 15:46:14

oops. * did she

Neverknowingly Thu 01-May-14 15:47:55

Dishwasher leaves mine clean. My DM who had no dishwasher used to bleach hers regularly and test that the bleach had been rinsed out apropriately by making my dad a drink in them. Unsurprisingly, they're divorced now.

NearTheWindymill Thu 01-May-14 15:51:19

immaculately spotless and shiny, bright white.

Undercurrent Thu 01-May-14 15:57:00

Just scrub with bicarbonate of soda or salt. Easy.
My dad worked in a factory - his tea mug used to come home once a year to get a good clean!

Icelollycraving Thu 01-May-14 16:08:03

Mine are sparkling. If they discolour I bleach them. I drank it in error once blush

FruVikingessOla Thu 01-May-14 16:15:26

Clean as the day they were bought, because we have a dishwasher.

I don't think tea stains are unhygienic, as such, but it's just nice to have clean looking cups and mugs.

wonkylegs Thu 01-May-14 16:15:31

My teapot & mugs are all sparking
I can't stand stained ones.
Don't bleach them though yuck.
Our dishwasher leaves our clean and I clean any stains in the teapot with bicarbonate of soda & vinegar - it's like magic.

ouryve Thu 01-May-14 16:18:48

Some cups seem to have quite porous glaze and stain no matter how hard you try and even trusty bicarb doesn't remove it. I figure that if I can't react or scrub it off, then I'm unlikely to drink it off.

Dumpylump Thu 01-May-14 16:18:51

Denture cleaning tablets. That's what you need. <<wise>>
Pop one in each mug/cup and fill with boiling water. Leave them for a wee while then wash like normal. No scrubbing or bleach required.
You're welcome! grin

Onesleeptillwembley Thu 01-May-14 16:19:07

Bleach isn't needed. A proper clean with the plastic side of a sponge scourer cleans them. I had cups for up to 20 years (only a couple) regularly used with no dishwasher at that time that never had that muck left in. If you need to bleach them they're not being washed properly. That's minging.

treaclesoda Thu 01-May-14 16:19:25

mine are all sparkling and pristine because that's the way I like them.

I wouldn't go so far as to refuse a cup of tea in a house where they're stained though. Stains are a change of colour, not dirt. I would still want to scrub them so they look nicer though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now