Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

How to exhaust a two year old...

(21 Posts)
LocalEditorOxford Thu 01-May-14 15:01:48

Any ideas? He had an accidental nap at 12.30 and I need him to go to bed at a reasonable hour but it is filthy weather out there which, you know, we can go out in, but I can't get him properly tired out in it as we'd have to come back home much sooner so if anyone has any great ideas I'd appreciate it!

ps- I'm knackered already, please don't make me run around like an idiot too
pps- no car, no money, no nearby soft play anyway, otherwise I might be tempted

fieldfare Thu 01-May-14 15:03:01

Waterproofs and welly boots and go stomping in puddles smile

Dancingqueen17 Thu 01-May-14 15:03:13

Swimming?

I usually send him out to play in the rain (I do go too!) or bring in the slide and trampoline from outside.

I also take the sofa cushions off and we play 'bouncy', a kind of living room soft play.

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 15:05:45

Swimming is the most reliable child exhauster on this earth, but it sounds like you're beyond considering that!

A long bath always helps DD sleep, I make her paints to keep her busy. Mix cornflour and body wash to a thick paste, add a few drops of food colouring. Allow to paint on side of bath. This should rinse off the enamel but do an unobtrusive test to be sure!

LocalEditorOxford Thu 01-May-14 15:07:17

Hrm... the rain is getting less sideways. I might be able to bring myslf to go out in this...

Would love to go swimming, but the same issues apply as with softplay

Ginformation Thu 01-May-14 15:13:07

Make a den out of chairs and a sheet. Ours often involves a steering wheel. Then convince ds to run about the house getting things to put in the den. The novelty seems to wear ds out.

Ginformation Thu 01-May-14 15:14:01

Or puddle jumping.

Birgitz Thu 01-May-14 15:17:50

Mine loves doing an exercise DVD with me!

MinesAPintOfTea Thu 01-May-14 15:18:41

Go out and get wet. Play a physical game (on and off the sofa cushions) in the lounge? Long bath. Or just accept that the accidental nap was probably due to already being excessively tired and he's likely to sleep tonight anyway.

Soft play?

Mine has been asleep since 1pm. I should wake him up, but it's so peaceful...

findingherfeet Thu 01-May-14 15:36:15

Races...You sit on the sofa and shout 'ready, steady, go!'...'now run to the door/fridge/sofa/whatever' or a game of very energetic Simon says?! (Yes I am sometimes this lazy)

LocalEditorOxford Thu 01-May-14 15:59:12

Yay. We came out and now it's dry and bright. Result!

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 16:28:39

Since you're in Oxford I really hope you're back inside now!
<looks at rain hammering on skylight>

BearsInMotion Thu 01-May-14 16:32:37

I am no help in this regard. We're on holiday, DD (2.3) has been outside all day, swimming, walking in the woods and playing on the trampoline and has still been happily messing around at 8:30pm. And she's been up since half six. Sigh.

LocalEditorOxford Thu 01-May-14 19:27:41

Rootypig - yup (thankfully). It was time for dinner and a hot chocolate!
Are you Oxon based too?

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 19:29:34

yes East Oxford! <outs self>

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 19:34:19

my washing is on the line hmm I keep thinking it's so wet there's no point bringing it in, then it gets soaked again grin

LocalEditorOxford Thu 01-May-14 21:12:33

Mine too. Towels mostly, but I don't need them anytime soon they can jolly well stay there.
Maybe I'll see you on the local boards sometime

rootypig Thu 01-May-14 21:41:08

indeed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now