Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Wedding etiquette: do I have to stay to the end?

(9 Posts)
JennyWithers Thu 01-May-14 12:31:11

DCs and I are invited to my cousin's wedding. It's a midday ceremony, then drinks, then meal and speeches, then more drinks, then evening party. Would it be rude for me and the DCs to leave after the meal and speeches bit? We won't know anyone apart from the bride and groom (family are estranged, we're the only ones invited). I haven't been to a wedding for donkey's years and have no idea what's normal. Thanks!

tabulahrasa Thu 01-May-14 12:39:00

IME the cake cutting is done early on in the evening do and that's when quite a few people leave as by then you've also seen the first dance.

Sparklingbrook Thu 01-May-14 12:49:27

If you aren't that close, nobody will notice if you go before any cake cutting and the evening do. The main thing is you go for the ceremony, meal and speeches.

Nancy66 Thu 01-May-14 12:53:54

I think it's fine to leave then.

JennyWithers Thu 01-May-14 12:54:11

Oh, okay, that makes sense. I know the chances are we'll meet fab new people and stay out all night, but I'm in the middle of a divorce, so a bit anxious at facing a wedding

Augustwedding Thu 01-May-14 12:57:53

We're getting married in August and I don't even expect parents to stay until the end. Guests with children and the older guests have already said they would leave te young ones without kids to party! They are welcome to stay but don't want them to feel obliged!

I think it's fine, I'd appreciate it if people made the effort to find us and say goodbye though!

JennyWithers Thu 01-May-14 13:16:49

August thanks (and congratulations!). I wasn't sure between discreetly slipping away and saying goodbye, but you're right and I shall

Augustwedding Thu 01-May-14 14:32:45

Thank you. You could always play it by ear re saying goodbye. I just know I'd be disappointed not to say a proper goodbye as most people at our wedding we get to see so infrequently.

Hope it's a good one and enjoy!

specialsubject Thu 01-May-14 14:34:10

no, of course not. But do see if you can find a moment to see the bride and groom to thank them and say goodbye, explaining that you need to get the kids home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now