Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Small eaters with massive eating children....

(8 Posts)
Enjoyingmycoffee1981 Thu 01-May-14 12:23:12

So I am a bit stuck and would really appreciate some guidance.

I am very slim, underweight really, but don't look ill with it (I am assured). I eat very healthily, because I do, and always have done, enjoy fresh healthy food such as fruit and salads and the like. Occasionally I will have a bit of chocolate or a few mouthfuls of DH's dessert if we are out, but never ever would I ever buy myself a chocolate bar or packet of crisps. I eat modest size meals too, as tend to feel quite full soon. Not noticeably small though, but modest.

Anyway, my children, my gorgeous, delicious, exquisite children are MAMMOTH eaters. Dd is 1, DS is 3. DS is as skinny as a rake, and DD has that adorable baby chunk going on, but not out of the ordinary (75 per centile for weight). DS is nursery today, so can't tell you what he has eaten today, but DD has eaten...

Bottle of milk (5oz)
2x bowls of shreddies
A banana
1/2 packet of Pom bears
An oat cake
An apple
1 scrambled egg
A dozen carrot batons
A yoghurt

She will have a biscuit and some blueberries when she wakes from her nap.

Tonight she will have a small adults portion of spag Bol, about four broccoli bits, half a corn on the cob, and a fruit squeezy. Then she will have 7oz of milk before she goes to bed.

I have never tested it, but I don't think she would stop. I bring proceedings to a close when I literally cannot fathom how something so little could fit in. DS is the same, although he has more of a sweet tooth.

So, my question is...

Do I moderate quantities? DH is of the opinion, if our children are hungry, feed them, but I worry about them knowing no limits and regarding feed as some kind of marathon experience.

I grew up in a home where my DM was very relaxed about food, my siblings and I were extremely slim and did lots of sports and, at home, we were allowed to eat whatever we wanted usually, on top of big home cooked meals. I remember coming home from school and basically having a tray of snacks, chocolate mousse etc. now, my bro, sis and I remain very slim and have very healthy attitude towards food, but could this be just unusual? I don't want to risk doing the same with my children, and it ending up with obesity and health problems..
Many thanks

rinabean Thu 01-May-14 12:34:04

They're growing. At the end of the day feeding them too much by mistake and then reining it in is much better than deliberately withholding food and having to make it up later. If it becomes a problem it becomes a problem. But they are growing.

Most of what your dd seems to be eating is bulk - vegetables and fruit - it looks bigger than the amount of food in it. Shreddies and oats are also high in fibre. Bear that in mind too.

PoundingTheStreets Thu 01-May-14 12:37:30

I think you want to avoid making an issue of food. I'd also bear in mind that children need a surprising amount of food because they are growing and learning.

All that said, a lot of food is consumed through habit, and the more you eat the more you want because your stomach adjusts to cope. I wouldn't make an issue of what food you offer and how often, but maybe just reduce portion sizes.

I am slim and not one of life's big eaters. My DC swing between eating like birds and eating like horses. They are slim too. I was brought up much like you, although my parents always made me ask before helping myself (so I didn't screw up the menu by eating essential ingredients) and I was occasionally denied if it was less than an hour til mealtimes, etc.

Although crisps and chocolate weren't kept in the house as standard, every time we went to the shop and my mother had money, we would be bought treats and we had an unlimited supply of them at my GPs.

As long as you are offering your DC a healthy balanced diet and are exercising common sense about portions, I'd say carry on exactly as you are.

lucysmam Thu 01-May-14 12:48:00

Sorry, placemarking to read later as out with dp & he's nipped to the loo smile

Trooperslane Thu 01-May-14 12:52:58

I eat very little completed to everyone I know and my dd (9th centile) devours 9oz bottles and bowls of porridge like it's going out of fashion.

I'd be really interested in your replies, op.

Pigginnora Thu 01-May-14 13:07:04

I'm a petite size 8. I've just given birth to my 6th dc.

I don't have a massive appetite. I eat healthy. I've never been overweight.

All my dc eat like horses. 2 are overweight. 4 are very slim like me. I think portion control is a big problem for me. I didn't realise people would continue to eat if they weren't hungry.

I am honest but in a kind way to the dc about food. I don't let them eat all they want. Junk food is kept to an absolute minimum. Balance is the key...

I'm still trying to find a good balance!

Artandco Thu 01-May-14 13:15:02

I think it's normal. I am and have always been slim, as has dh. We eat an average amount.

Ds's are 4 and 2 years. They are also very slim but eat far more than you would expect.

I think it's as they never stop moving. Ie if we go to a park for example I will run about with them on and off 5 mins at a time, but they will kick a ball/ catch each other/ race etc for 2/3 hours solidly. So in 2 hours I prob move 30 mins max as sit/ stand in between yet they wear everything off.

Today:
Breakfast - porridge with nuts and seeds and blueberries. X1 boiled egg, glass of milk

Lunch - bowl of lentil soup with small roll. Then some salmon, broccoli, green beans, cauliflower.

Enjoyingmycoffee1981 Thu 01-May-14 16:37:49

Thanks so much for responses.
Yes, balance is the way to go. Good to read no one saying either restrict or allow a free for all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now