Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can I feed dd pesto?

(33 Posts)
Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 11:01:02

I know this is in the wrong place but it will get seen here, and that this is a stupid question, but can dd eat pesto? She's 1 in 2 weeks and likes everything really but I've always wondered if pesto is maybe too salty? I won't be adding anymore salt to the pasta thing i want to cook. Thanks.

nut products are ok from 6 months but i dont think pine nuts are nuts anyway

RiverTam Thu 01-May-14 14:15:54

we make it ourselves as DD and DH are veggie and most jars use non-veggie parmesan.

This is our recipe - you'll need a food processor:

whizz up 25g of pine nuts
add 100g basil (I would strip the leaves off the stalks, I don't like the texture with the stalks left on), 25g parmesan, 1 clove of garlic and 2 fl oz extra virgin olive oil.
whizz till you happy with the texture.

Bung in a jar in the fridge till you use it - if you don't use it all in one go, make sure it has a layer of olive oil covering the pesto, then it won't go mouldy.

they are the edible seed of pine trees

Bagofbags Thu 01-May-14 14:22:18

Pine nuts are seeds but most jarred pesto has cashew nuts in it too. I know this as DS had an anaphylactic reaction to it when he was 18 months.( It wasn't the 1st time he'd had it)

Having said that there's no reason not to give it to your dd. If you don't suspect any allergies they do usually recommend eating nuts from an early age.

Foxsticks Thu 01-May-14 14:24:53

I guess it depends on how much pesto you eat. I make it once a month. One batch will do for two meals for my toddler, DH and I in a week. We use half the pine nuts for each batch of pesto, so one tube costing £3.99 will 12 meals and last two months, I'm ok with that. I much prefer the taste of fresh pesto though.

Lidl sell pine nuts, £1.99 a packet (100g I think) and they are v nice and affordable.

They also sell fab Parmesan too, plus basil and extra virgin olive oil, best place to buy pesto ingredients

tobiasfunke Thu 01-May-14 14:43:40

DS loves pesto. You only need a teeny amount to flavour baby pasta so I wouldn't worry about the salt content overly much. I couldn't be arsed making my own TBH.

Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 14:51:05

Thank you all. Giving it a go later but can't see her not liking it since dd will eat anything. Mumsnet is the font of all knowledge! Dp has family members who buy KFC meals for 9 month old babies and consider pesto forrin so thanks for answering what seems like a stupid question.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now