Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Can I feed dd pesto?

(33 Posts)
Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 11:01:02

I know this is in the wrong place but it will get seen here, and that this is a stupid question, but can dd eat pesto? She's 1 in 2 weeks and likes everything really but I've always wondered if pesto is maybe too salty? I won't be adding anymore salt to the pasta thing i want to cook. Thanks.

Martorana Thu 01-May-14 11:02:53

Yes. My dd practically lived on it.

DrankSangriaInThePark Thu 01-May-14 11:08:32

It's very salty and the food police will be all humphy at you.

My dd also lived on it then, and lives on it now! wink

Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 11:14:42

But she eats well 99% of the time so I don't give a monkeys! grin just can't be arsed with the faff of separate meals. She usually eats what we have and we just add salt to ours after if we want it. I can put hers in a separate dish and use the pesto sparingly. Thank you made my life easier today!

magpieC Thu 01-May-14 11:17:34

I give it to DD who's now 10 months - obviously not for every meal and if I've given something that I think is particularly salty for one meal I'll try and avoid salt for all others that day. Besides, in 2 weeks the amount of salt your DD's allowed doubles ;-)

DotToDott Thu 01-May-14 11:19:58

I wouldn't have because of the nuts- i thought they couldn't have anything with nuts until they were 3 because their little body couldn't deal with potential allergy.

I have no idea where i got that from though but it might be worth looking into/ asking health visitor.

if it wasn't for that i probably would have let him eat it.

BEEwitched Thu 01-May-14 11:42:08

I think most of the allergy advise has made a turn-around and the idea is to expose them to more stuff because it can prevent allergies - the only times I've seen nuts mentioned as a no-no recently was because of the obvious choking hazard, but that's not an issue with pesto.

This baby isn't even out yet, why am I reading up on weaning advise? Really should change my first diaper before I worry about that...

Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 11:45:11

I'm pretty sure she's eaten something else with nuts in so I think she'll be fine. My hv has recommended peanut butter on toast so I've always thought that since we have no history of allergies she'll just need keeping an eye on to make sure there's no reaction.

And I knew her age would be important grin

The little swine has had me up since 4.30 with a screaming fit that lasted for hours! I only work 3 days a week and she's chosen today to get me out of bed! I get up at 4.45 for work so it wouldn't have been a problem any other day. I'm knackered and just want an easy tea I can prepare now and bung in oven later when the tiredness really hits.

Where do we stand on garlic bread? Surely she's fine with that. I always feel mean eating it in front of her.

WowOoo Thu 01-May-14 11:59:07

I ate nuts throughout pregnancy and the dc's had small amounts of peanut butter when small.

I think pesto is fine as long as it's a small amount. I slather it on but only use I small amount for dc food.
Garlic bread is fine as long as the crust isn't too sharp that it could catch in her throat - just the central bit would be fine.

Hope you all catch up on sleep. How knackering!

Sunnydaysablazeinhope Thu 01-May-14 12:20:47

No nuts til 3???? That's nuts in itself.

Chocolate anyone.....?

Pesto is marvellous stuff. smile

TheBookofRuth Thu 01-May-14 12:25:32

I make my own, that way I can control the saltiness (apart from the salt in the Parmesan). It's dead easy and DD loves it. I sometimes make it with rocket instead of basil, which is good too.

Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 12:38:22

I would try and make my own but I just can't be arsed! We still haven't got dressed yet (a work in progress...) and dp finishes work at 2. Will have a walk to shop round corner for a paper shortly to see if that shuts her up for a bit! She's spent ages shuffling around then last week in the space of half an hour she crawled, pulled herself up and started cruising. We've long thought she would never crawl as she likes to tiptoe along using our hands for support but now she's a handful and I'm tired with working, housework, helping to care for my grandparents and constantly having madam throwing hissy fits because I won't allow her to play with certain things.

Sorry rant over! Thanks everyone you've been a big help.

JewelFairies Thu 01-May-14 12:47:34

Another big fan of pesto, and as for garlic bread and garlic generally... I may have made history by having a baby with noticeable garlic breath quite often grin.
A avoid too much pesto you can use some of the starchy pasta cooking water to thin it down to a sauce, or you can add something like cream cheese to make a creamy sauce.
Hmm, I'm hungry now.

TheBookofRuth Thu 01-May-14 12:50:47

Well that's fair enough smile When DD was the same age I counted the day as a success if I got us both dressed and out of the house at all.

Plus it's easy when you have both a food processor and a dishwasher (because washing a food processor by hand is a pain in the arse) - if not it's a bit of a faff!

Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 13:09:44

Sorry I wasn't having a go, just a moan. Have made considerable progress since last post so feel better now!

How do I make pesto myself? I've fancied doing it for a while now but never tried.

Sorry, I'm a miserable cow today. grin

TheBookofRuth Thu 01-May-14 13:23:28

That's quite alright. As I say, I've been there.

I make it by chucking 50g of Parmesan (roughly chopped), 50g of pine nuts (you can toast them in a dry frying pan first if you like, but I always burn them when I try), a couple of cloves of garlic and a packet of basil or rocket into the food processor with a few glugs of olive oil and whizzing it till it's the consistency I want.

If you don't have a food processor I'm sure you could do it with a pestle and mortar and chopping, crushing, grating and mixing by hand - but personally I don't think I would bother!

Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 13:28:50

That's brilliant, thanks. Going to give that a go next week I think. Thank you!

Foxsticks Thu 01-May-14 13:37:21

My river cottage baby and toddler cookbook has a pesto recipe so it must be ok for the food police grin

if you have a food processor bung the following in:

50g bunch of basil, leaves only
50g of toasted pine nuts (I am spectacularly lazy and buy ready toasted ones from waitrose)
35g grated parmesan
1garlic clove

whizz to a paste then with the processor still running slowly pour in 100ml of olive oil. Squeeze lemon in to taste. It will keep covered in the fridge for a few days.

TheBookofRuth Thu 01-May-14 13:38:38

You can buy ready-toasted pine nuts??! Brilliant!

Foxsticks Thu 01-May-14 13:41:58

You can, it was life changing when I found them Ruth grin

JewelFairies Thu 01-May-14 14:07:28

Making my own pesto... now there's a thought. I'm put off by the ridiculous price of pine nuts. And parmesan. Wonder whether I am better off buying the stuff. I get three large jars of Sacla green pesto from Costco for something like four pounds. That's how much the pine nuts alone would cost me for one portion if I tried it myself.
Now I'm having a moan so I'd better go grin

JewelFairies Thu 01-May-14 14:09:01

Hah, I knew it. 90gr of toasted pine nuts at Waitrose are 3.99. With the amount of pesto we go through as a family I really cannot afford to make my own pesto...

Funghoul Thu 01-May-14 14:11:28

Now you're all putting me off.

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 01-May-14 14:12:03

Pine nuts aren't actually nuts are they?

Thought they were seeds not nuts.

Like coconut is a fruit not a nut

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 01-May-14 14:12:42

And joke made pesto is delicious. You can add more cheese to yours if you worry about the salt

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now