Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Embarrassed to see doctor.

(89 Posts)
Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:13:00

Not sure what to do. I know I need to see a doctor but don't want to see a man doctor and no female doctors at my surgery. Where else can I get to see a female gp? Can I go to another surgery temporary?

PolkaSpottyDotty Wed 30-Apr-14 22:14:40

Do you need to see a GP? Is it something the Practice Nurse help with?

Smartiepants79 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:15:42

Is that even allowed? No female GPs?
Umm I don't know. Is there another surgery to register with?

Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:16:15

No think it's def a gp due to previous medical conditions. I have put up with it all day and in loads of pain now and don't think I can last another day.

Smartiepants79 Wed 30-Apr-14 22:16:42

Was going to say what if you saw the GP with a female nurse alongside?
They must have some kind of procedure for dealing with this.

PolkaSpottyDotty Wed 30-Apr-14 22:16:58

Can you say what it is here?

Blondiebrownie Wed 30-Apr-14 22:17:01

What about making an appointment with out of hours in your local hospital?

There will be a female GP who you should be able to request.

Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:17:25

I am seriously thinking about changing gp's now smartiepants it's never been an issue in the past.

ThisFenceIsComfy Wed 30-Apr-14 22:17:49

Can you go to a walk-in centre? Explain the situation and request a female GP?

ScrambledEggAndToast Wed 30-Apr-14 22:17:53

Would it help if you had a female chaperone with you? Maybe a friend or relative? GPs have pretty much seen and heard it all and will be very professional and sympathetic.

Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:19:40

I have a very swollen lady bits and it's very sore and painful and keeping feeling like I have wet myself but I haven't. It feels like when you have contrast when you have a ct scan.

Ooh can't guaranteed a female gp as it is an emergency I should be happy to see any doctor.

shouldnthavesaid Wed 30-Apr-14 22:19:53

Would a nurse help? I had to see a male doctor in A&E with hideously awful thrush - I was mortified and crying but he and the nurse were just lovely. Nurse held my hand the whole time, she never left my side.

shouldnthavesaid Wed 30-Apr-14 22:22:53

Well, yes and no. I've refused ooh permission to see my bits before.. I've also waited until they've found a nurse, or a female.

Is your Ooh based in hospital where they might have an on call gynae? Have had that before too.

Is it a recurring problem or is this new for you?

Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:22:54

The thing is my gp isn't very nice. I had to phone recently as an emergency and he wouldn't even give me an appointment just to me to increase my meds. There is another gp there who is lovely but his off sick at the moment for 3 weeks (he has cancer)

abitofanangrybird Wed 30-Apr-14 22:23:30

I would give your surgery a ring and ask a receptionist. I'm sure they have been asked the same question before and may be able to advise. If it is a gynae issue you may be able to see a female GP at a local family planning clinic.
You could ask your GP receptionist for contact number for your local PALS (patient Advice and Liason service) and they should be able to direct you to a female GP.

Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:24:47

No ooh is based in a little portal cabin thing outside another surgery. No it's not recurring shouldnt but I have had cervical cancer before hence why I am more worried.

BillyBanter Wed 30-Apr-14 22:25:15

You could try a GUM clinic and ask to see a female doctor? Phone first to check.

shouldnthavesaid Wed 30-Apr-14 22:27:30

Oh I see.

To be honest, I would manage it with painkillers and topical stuff (e.g frozen peas, cool bath, plain moisturiser) tonight and tomorrow I'd do one of these two - either call gynae dept at hospital or find your nearest sex clinic, and explain what's happening.

I'm presuming you've been cancer free a while - no recent radiotherapy, surgery etc?

shouldnthavesaid Wed 30-Apr-14 22:29:29

I'm sorry you're sore flowers, I'm the same tonight but mine's recurrent.

It's so hard to advise online but does it.. Does it seem like a lump thing? Like an infected spot? Or does it seem more of a skin thing (thrushy, itchy, widespread etc?)

BrightlyColouredFish Wed 30-Apr-14 22:29:34

You have the right to be chaperoned.

NoNoNoMYDoIt Wed 30-Apr-14 22:34:00

OP- it sounds a bit like awful thrush. Pain and itching and swollen and lots of wetness. Try pharmacy if you desperately can't see GP. Although if it is bad thrush you may need prescription strength anti fungals.

Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:35:22

shouldnt yes it feels like a lump. Don't mean to sound weird and I don't do it often but it doesn't feel right down there it's def swollen and if I put pressure on it it calms it down. No itch just pain. It's not even sore now more pain. Yea cancer free for 5 years now. I hate being a woman men think nothing of showing there bits to anyone.

insidethemind Wed 30-Apr-14 22:41:58

With your history you need to be seen, OP. What about your local GUM clinic/sexual clinic? Or call the surgery and explain that you would like a chaperone for your appt.

shouldnthavesaid Wed 30-Apr-14 22:43:49

I'm glad to hear re cancer smile

You absolutely don't sound weird in the slightest so don't worry about that! smile

Do you mean a lump on one of the lips? They're not at all uncommon and can usually just be put down to a blocked gland of sorts. Sometimes they need antibiotics but itd be fine to treat that at home at first with painkillers, hot or cool face cloth etc.

Obviously if the pain's unmanagable, or if you're feeling ill (dizzy, sick, hot) or if you're noticing any redness spreading don't hesitate to seek help tonight.

But I think you should be OK to hang on til tomorrow and see if you can contact gynae/sexual health/family planning.

It is horrible showing your bits, I know (I'm the world's worst - but we'll go no further into that haha, don't want to frighten you more!!) but it's over in minutes. Best thing is to remember they're a doctor, seen thousands of bums and bits, and to them its just like looking in your ear. Breathing in through your nose and out through the mouth helps too.

Nobbynuts Wed 30-Apr-14 22:45:28

I think I am going to try local gum clinic. What kind of questions will they ask? If anyone has been. Got nothing to hide but would like an heads up if possible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now