Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Fuming! Holiday cottage demanding extra £150 for missing items!

(153 Posts)
Nancery Wed 30-Apr-14 13:26:37

Have to vent!

Last week stayed in a lovely holiday cottage which we paid close to £500 for, inc £25 extra so we could bring the dog. We have got a letter today demanding another £150 for a list of missing items (we have taken nothing!) and to cover cleaning costs as apparently there were cigarette ends outside (neither of us smoke!) the piles of dirty crockery (the drainer had a few cups etcetera in, washed but not put back in cupboards), the washing machine being 'full of dog hair' (an exaggeration if anything, we did wash the dogs blanket in there but had washed our stuff in after and I can't say I noticed it looking hairy!) and various other things. Owner apparently has photos to prove all this too!
Am flabbergasted!
Ironically, I was getting irate with DH as we were wanting to leave as he was fussing about with the Hoover!
DH spoke to people we booked it via, who were thankfully very reasonable, and will relay what he said to the owner.
What would you do? Offer them £50 tops out of principle is what DH suggested (to me) but I think that's admitting you had left it in an 'unacceptable state.' Personally I think she's trying it on (weve apparently nicked the brass handled tongs etc for the fire ffs!) but am also concerned as we can't prove what it looked like when we left (until now that would have seemed a weirdly neurotic thing to do!)

OwlCapone Wed 30-Apr-14 13:32:02

I would offer a contribution in respect of the hair in the washing machine because you did wash the dog's blanket in there and could have bunged up the filter.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 30-Apr-14 13:36:59

Must admit I wouldn't have washed dog blanket but seriously how long does it take to get any hair out the filter? Never done it but I bet not long.

I'd offer nothing.

Nancery Wed 30-Apr-14 13:37:00

Okay. Out of everything that about the only possibly reasonable one (although I don't think it genuinely is.) What would you suggest?
But what about the alleged missing stuff and dirty crockery etc? I have a feeling this won't be that simple!
Am still shock and also annoyed that I didn't in fact take photos (but who does?!)

Were you given an inventory?

AuntFidgetWonkhamStrongNajork Wed 30-Apr-14 13:38:17

Do you think they try it on with every client? If you didn't sign an inventory how can they prove the "missing" stuff was there when you went in?

FatalCabbage Wed 30-Apr-14 13:38:40

Did you have an inventory to check when you arrived? They can scarcely accuse you of removing things that might not even have been there to start with! That's where I'd focus.

I do think it was a bit much to wash a dog thing in someone else's machine though. When I accidentally washed a hairy throw in our machine everything was hairy for ages angry sad

SavoyCabbage Wed 30-Apr-14 13:41:09

I wouldn't give them anything (although I agree that washing the dogs blanket was not a good idea) and I would press the booking agent into giving you some further information in the hope that they might give you some support.

They must know the other people are loons as it is unlikely that they have just been normal up,to now before accusing you go tong theft.

I wouldn't give them thruppence!

Unfortunately you have come across the crazy person who doesn't really want to rent out their cottage or clean it

This has happened to me once before - a 2k a week house which they wanted 300 to clean it after even though cleaning/washing sheets was included obviously

In one snarky email the daft bint said "who doesn't make their bed when they leave"

To which my response was:

"Folk on holiday who would expect the next person to be given clean sheets for £2k a week"!

Nancery Wed 30-Apr-14 13:42:52

No, no inventory. I've never had one for a holiday cottage - has anyone else?!

Btw the dog blanket wasn't actually that hairy, certainly not blocking things up hairy, I washed it as DS spilt ice cream on it (it was in the car) and it was probably only about 3/4 days into the holiday. So, while this may be the more valid out of the rest it certainly isn't actually that reasonable.

Nancery Wed 30-Apr-14 13:46:44

I can't work out if she's splitting hairs and being VERY particular, trying it on or genuinely thinks we left the place in a disgrace! Honestly, it was bloody hoovered, towels in bath, rubbish all removed etc.

She said we also stole some knives. The knives were actually that blunt we ended up buying our own! So, stealing them wasn't on the agenda!

Shonajay Wed 30-Apr-14 13:47:13

Not a penny. They're at it.

GobbolinoCat Wed 30-Apr-14 13:49:51

I WOULD not pay this, they will try it on other people too.

Where was it, who did you book through>

HermioneWeasley Wed 30-Apr-14 13:50:52

Agree, not a penny! With no inventory how would they prove anything anyway?

flatmouse Wed 30-Apr-14 13:51:01

We had the same to a lesser extend last year after a holiday - they were demanding extra money for cleaning - dog hairs everywhere. Now, our dog is a moulter - but we had paid extra for the dog to go, we had hoovered every day - and the dog was only allowed in the kitchen and lounge.
They accused us of letting dog into bedrooms and up onto sofa - neither happened.
I was very upset - it put a real downer on the whole holiday, and made us think badly of the owners.
We had noted that when the holidayers in the other cottage left the owners AND a cleaner spent all day in there - and (as kitchen was diagonally opposite our kitchen) noticed that they took everything out of all the cupboards and re-washed. Like anyone, i would expect the cottage and contents to be clean on arrival, but there was i believe a large amount of OCD going on!

We didn't pay in the end. Considered it as it was booked with a major cottage letting company and we didn't want a black mark against our name - but in all honesty we felt that we had gone above and beyond to make sure that it was clean after we and our dog left, and that their comments were unjust and unreasonable.

OwlCapone Wed 30-Apr-14 13:51:10

How would they know you washed the Dog blanket if there were no dog hairs in the washing machine?

Nancery Wed 30-Apr-14 13:52:08

Classic Cottages.

Apparently we nicked the iron too confused

Bad news is, Classic Cottages lady said the owner has never kicked off before. But she's only been renting out since last year. Classic Cottages are being reasonable, thank god, but still...

Nancery Wed 30-Apr-14 13:55:54

owl they don't know that, they said it was 'full of hairs'. It honestly wasn't though!

GobbolinoCat Wed 30-Apr-14 13:56:42

Well how long have you been renting out holiday lets?

i am renting one out soon, I will be thoroughly going through what they expect us to leave place like!

I have had one bad experience with holiday let, and I know they found something disgusting....which my father did....which then also made them go off about other little things....I had also cleaned and my DH was telling me not too....

Stand firm, stand your ground.

I use Owners Direct and have not had any issues in ten years. She has only been doing it a year Perhaps cleaners got in, or the cottage was not secure at some point and someone else has come in and stolen.

i really feel for you, they have your money in their pocket now and yet this will leave a nasty taste in the mouth...

SavoyCabbage Wed 30-Apr-14 13:57:04

Who uses an iron on holiday? or ever

That's strange about the knives. I wonder if they had a nanny-cam...

I would be all lovely to the agents then but I wouldn't give them any money. I'd rather go to court.

GobbolinoCat Wed 30-Apr-14 13:57:28

sorry I meant perhaps new cleaners have stolen stuff. who would botehr to steal an iron though>?

drspouse Wed 30-Apr-14 13:58:07

Sounds like some of this stuff has been missing for a while and they haven't taken an inventory. Did you use the iron/fire tongs? I assume you saw the knives when you left (now that is seriously trying it on!)

We have a flat we rent out and we usually blame the cleaners for not noticing (we don't clean it ourselves as it's not local) when something is missing - and just suck it up - unless it was a large item of furniture obviously!

Has classic cottages woman seen the photos

You could reply to each point. So for example say you don't smoke so the fag ends can't be yours, & say that you left washed cups on the draining board. Suggest she shows you the photos so you can let her know whether anyone went in between you leaving and her viewing.

Nancery Wed 30-Apr-14 14:00:28

fkatmouse that sounds very similar to this! Awful isn't it!

GobbolinoCat Wed 30-Apr-14 14:01:31

I think DrSpouse is right, something may have gone a miss before you arrived and no one noticed etc...maybe they paid more attention after your leaving due to your dog.

I would be nice to the classic cottages but also firm.I would say you are happy to have police investigate and go to court if she wishes but you are absolutely not going to pay her any money.

That you have no need or motivation to steal knives or anything or irons and they must have misplaced them at some other time before or after your stay.

Honeslty there are so many places that rent out....i woldnt go sucking up to classic either, tell them to sort it, they have your money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now