Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

WWYD if someone broke in (hypothetical)

(44 Posts)
NotInYourNature Thu 24-Apr-14 09:37:44

Pregnancy insomnia is plaguing me and i lie there thinking about mad things. recently its been wwid if someone broke in while we were in the house.

We live in a small bungalow so any movement or talking would be heard. I'm assuming the burglar is violent and mean so want to protect my 14 mnth ds.
We live in the middle of nowhere but do have neighbors walking distance.

Tell me what you would do

Flexiblefriend Thu 24-Apr-14 09:46:04

Lock myself and DS in the bathroom and call 999 on my mobile. In reality though most burglars are like rats, only dangerous if cornered. They will usually run off if they hear someone moving around.

yessirnosir Thu 24-Apr-14 09:58:11

I know what I'd do because it happened to me. Someone at the end of the bed with a torch. I leapt out of bed, screaming at him to get out of my house and chased him down tr stairs and out the door. My dh who was next toe in bed queried whether I had imagined it! He does not wake easily! But as they had abandoned some sentimentally very important item outside our front door I'm pretty sure it really happened. All they actually got was my wallet which they left on a nearby doorstep minus cash. In hindsight it was possibly a stupid thing to do, but I really didn't engage my brain, it was pure instinct, so there's probably no point in even thinking about it - you would do what you would do! None of my children even woke up until the police arrived!

PickleMobile Thu 24-Apr-14 09:59:55

Send DH down with the massive maglite we keep under the bed for that very reason while I get the baby and dial 999.

BerniesBurneze Thu 24-Apr-14 10:00:58

Threads like these remind me I ought to buy a baseball bat or golf xlub! For sports, obviously. ..

gamerchick Thu 24-Apr-14 10:02:12

I have something handy ready under my pillow.

ClaimedByMe Thu 24-Apr-14 10:08:40

I tell myself my oversized staffy will be enough to keep us safe but in reality she would either sleep through or make friends with a burglar!

I don't really have a plan B.

I have a phone upstairs to call the Police/Fire brigade etc in an emergency. I think its usually considered a good idea to make noise upstairs so that they know they have been rumbled and have a chance to leg it. If any burglar had a pop at 2 out of our 3 neighbours they'd get quite a shock because they're all coppers grin.

Ploppy16 Thu 24-Apr-14 11:07:38

We have a phone upstairs at all times and because DH works away a lot there's a cricket bat by the side of the bed.
Oh and because of the layout of the state we live on all we would have to do is open a window and scream...

Ploppy16 Thu 24-Apr-14 11:08:03

Estate. Not state...

Call 999 and reach for the camping mallet I keep by the side of my bed.

goodasitgets Thu 24-Apr-14 11:09:47

I have a plan blush
My car keys are kept next to the bed. Out the window (ground floor), into car, and ring 999

LuisSuarezTeeth Thu 24-Apr-14 11:11:23

Run like fuck

havenever Thu 24-Apr-14 11:12:01

i made alot of noise (so they knew i had seen them) running to a lockable room, and phoned 999 from there.

ApocalypseNowt Thu 24-Apr-14 11:14:30

Probably shout at them. I have a voice like a fishwife.

My friend has a baseball bat upon which he has written 'Reasonable force'. He is convinced this will keep him out of bother should he ever have to repel an intruder...

puddock Thu 24-Apr-14 11:16:39

When I was a student my housemate heard a break in - she was on her own, but she called out something like "Hey, Mike, can you hear somebody downstairs. Could you and Tom go and check it out?" and stomped about a bit - and the burglars legged it with only a cassette player and someone's leather jacket. I imagine this wouldn't always work but it seemed like a good idea.

KingJoffreysBloodshotEye Thu 24-Apr-14 11:21:22

I have a hockey stick next to my bed.

I'd aim for their ribs which once broken would slow down the use of their arms (speak from experience).

I'd also aim for their balls and possibly legs to prevent them from walking.

Once I'd done that I'd leave the house with DS through the nearest exit.

Poledra Thu 24-Apr-14 11:21:45

I have a landline in my bedroom. I'd grab the kids and phone, go to DD1's bedroom (where we can get out the window - it's our fire escape route). DH would stomp about heavily to try to get rid of them (mind you, if he went downstairs, he'd scare them off - a 15 stone, bearded, naked man is not a pretty sight grin).

A friend of my dad's, many years ago, heard a noise downstairs and went to investigate. On discovering 2 men in his hallway, he punched one in the face and laid him out cold on the floor! He then chased after the other guy, got to the bottom of his drive and realised that he was naked and p'raps he'd better go back inside... Police reckoned he'd not get burgled again, as word would go round about the sledgehammer punch (he was a mechanic, and very strong, but didn't realise he could actually knock someone out).

We have a wooden ceremonial Jujitsu sword next to the bed.

I'd call 999 as I always have my mobile on and I'd send dh out to knock seven bells out of any bastard in our house.

We've been burgled before, thieving twats!

Fivemoreminutesmummy Thu 24-Apr-14 11:40:21

We have a panic alarm so I'd press that then shout down the stairs 'police on their way'
Then I'd lock DC and me in the bathroom. DH works nights so this kind of thing worries me.

curiousgeorgie Thu 24-Apr-14 12:18:54

It's pretty hard to sneak into our house with our dog sleeping on the landing.

I actually live here and I can't get in without him going crazy... confused

Assuming they don't throw him a fillet steak I think I'd have enough time to call the police and get DD1 & 2 locked into the bedroom with me...

NotInYourNature Thu 24-Apr-14 16:15:25

My worry's are..
My dh is small (i'm stonger than him) and sleeps like a log.
We took all the keys out of our doors as we have a toddler and now don't know which goes where and we live in the middle of nowhere so and would take police an age to get here.
And thy have come this far to break in so noise might not scare them it might antagonize them into stabbing us all to death

my plan is....my room has the big escape window so i would have to run in get ds run back to our room, climb out, jump in the car and either block them in the drive way with the car and run to the neighbors or drive to the in laws and hope they don't shoot us thinking they are being burgled :D

LaQueenOfTheSpring Thu 24-Apr-14 17:03:39

If DH was home, I would have to try and stop DH taking the burglar apart with his bare hands (DH mahoosive ex-rugby player, with martial arts training) while I called 999.

If home alone with DDs, I don't know what I would do...I have previous form for going incandescent with rage, acting first and thinking later - when I thought they were being hassled by older teenage boys. So not sure...

If I could keep my cool, I would open our front door (we live on the main street through our village) and scream 'Help, fire, fire' (and I have a very loud scream) to raise the alarm.

ShakeYourTailFeathers Thu 24-Apr-14 18:00:40

We have a panic alarm built into the burglar alarm with a button on a keychain in my bedside table.

We know it works coz when the smoke alarm went off recently the fire brigade turned up blush

And we also have a baseball bat under the bed.

WandaDoff Thu 24-Apr-14 18:03:22

I have a walking stick behind the bedroom door just in case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now