Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Is anyone watching "how to get a council house"?

(33 Posts)
fledtoscotland Wed 23-Apr-14 21:28:46

Making me mad. My heart breaks for that older man who was grateful for a mattress.

The young woman with her daughter is making me angryangryangry. She's behind on rent but has iphone/nail extensions etc. call me judgy but she's so rude threatening suicide to ensure SW panic & her her accommodation.

And breathe confused

misstiredbuthappy Wed 23-Apr-14 21:32:51

Yes im watching it feel sorry for them. Seems very harsh there just left on the streets. I understand why the young woman doesnt get income support or job seekers though..

Tobagostreet Wed 23-Apr-14 21:39:47

Yes, watching it now. Janelle (think that's the name if the girl) is the type of person benefits bashes thrive on. Receiving housing benefit to stay in a 1,200 pound per month house, but not using the cash for her rent angryhmm...

It's by no means a solution, but for the life of me I don't understand why housing benefit isn't always payed directly to the landlord. Must be really tempting to 'dip' into it to 'borrow' for other expenditure (in Janelle's case, nail extensions and dangly earrings - sorry I know how bitchy that sounds sad)

Tobagostreet Wed 23-Apr-14 21:40:16

*benefits baSHERS

fledtoscotland Wed 23-Apr-14 21:43:00

Tobago - showing my ignorance- isn't HB paid directly to LL (in this case the council themselves)??

Our system is totally failing. We aren't helping people in a crisis situation. Janelle spent 5yrs in emergency accommodation. She should be "encouraged" to look for herself in a similar way job seekers are.

Oldraver Wed 23-Apr-14 21:45:48

I think the system has recently changed and payments will be paid direct to the tennent. I think this is a disaster waiting to happen

I'm quite shock at the homeless, jobless people they just shrug at it's very sad.

BuzzardBird Wed 23-Apr-14 21:47:27

No it isn't paid directly to LLs, which is one of the reasons that LL insurance will not allow you to rent to hb claimants and then everyone slags off LLs for refusing them.

Tobagostreet Wed 23-Apr-14 21:49:41

Fled - I always assumed it was, but this girl gets housing benefit, and has fell into serious arrears - apparently through using the money to buy essentials like school uniform blush.

It's such a big temptation to have the cash there in your account, which if your finances aren't great, must be irresistible for some.

fledtoscotland Wed 23-Apr-14 21:53:31

Tobago - I get the temptation is great however I have to pay my bills and budget so why shouldn't she have to? If she finds it difficult, then surely basic budgeting advise should be available through CAB?

GreeboOgg Wed 23-Apr-14 21:54:19

HB paid to the tenant seems at first glance to be a bad idea, but I can see it from the other side. I may have to claim HB fairly shortly as I simply don't earn enough to pay the rent on my cheap bedsit and cover food and bus fares to work. This place, and many, many others, was advertised as 'no HB' when I moved in. That isn't at all uncommon in the private rental market unfortunately so I can understand tenants not wanting their landlords to know that they're claiming to help cover the rent. I suppose if I was a landlord I'd also prefer tenants that were in a more stable financial position.

It is of course open to abuse though. Payment direct to LL would be far simpler and safer if you could guarantee you wouldn't be out on your arse in a couple of months when your tenancy is up.

SoleSource Wed 23-Apr-14 21:54:34

My HB is paid directly to LL.

Tobagostreet Wed 23-Apr-14 21:54:53

That family of 9 in a 2 bedroom house!!!!! OMGshock.

The housing officer was suggesting mediation and a rota for the kitchen and bathroom after the relationship breakdown between them, rather than accept that the situation was unreasonable.

Hope the son and his wife get somewhere to live.

GreeboOgg Wed 23-Apr-14 21:55:42

BuzzardBird Didn't realise the insurance implications! That makes everything much clearer! (Though I can't say I'd still blame a landlord for taking on somebody with more secure finances if they were in a position to choose).

misstiredbuthappy Wed 23-Apr-14 21:58:02

I get a bit of housing benefit as I work part time and live in a housing association house. You can choose if you want the money going into your account or straight to landlord. Dont know if thats the case everywhere.

Such a sad program sad

Tobagostreet Wed 23-Apr-14 21:59:35

Fled - I agree with you. We all need to be responsible to manage our own budgets.

But when you're on benefits, you shouldn't have a CHOICE if you pay or not - housing costs should be paid by housing benefit directly to the LL. This will stop people who may be on the breadline having that temptation to use money which isn't actually 'theirs'.

BuzzardBird Wed 23-Apr-14 22:01:41

Our insurance doesn't allow it and trust me, to us HB claimants would mean that we weren't continually ripped off by tenants that just stop paying because they are saving a deposit for their home purchase leaving us with debt problems as we still have to pay the mortgage.

misstiredbuthappy Wed 23-Apr-14 22:03:19

So glad I dont live in london. Some of the rents are 400+ mynes not even a quarter of that.

BuzzardBird Wed 23-Apr-14 22:03:25

I see some of you can have it paid directly? We haven't been given this option, perhaps it is regional?

fledtoscotland Wed 23-Apr-14 22:04:15

Exactly Tobago! The system needs an overhaul. Emergency accommodations should have a time limit. I agree that London is getting more expensive - we left 14yrs ago as we couldn't afford it. I'm struggling to see why people/families don't relocate if they can't afford accommodation (and don't gave any job ties to a particular area).

That janelle is an absolute twat.

misstiredbuthappy Wed 23-Apr-14 22:09:03

Maybe buzzardbird although when I rented private the hb could only be paid into my account didnt have a choice but I do now. So maybe its just council/housing associations that have a choice.

BunnyBaby Wed 23-Apr-14 22:10:23

Just caught the end.. the two things that stood out were:
==> the Louis Vuitton bag, nail extensions, tattoos of one girl, these things are all expensive.
==> The family of 9 in one house, where the father still couldn't speak English after 25 years, it begs the question how the provision of housing helps these people to integrate if it enables them to get by without even learning the language of the host country, the most basic way to integrate.
Sadly I can't offer any solutions..

Tobagostreet Wed 23-Apr-14 22:11:48

The prices in London are astronomical!! The mortgage on my 3 bed semi in Glasgow isn't much more than the price charged for ONE WEEKin that London B&B for the family of 3!!!

Lack of affordable social housing, particularly in the South East, is a major problem which needs to be addressed. Until it does start getting resolved, demand will keep rising, and along with higher demands comes higher pricing... sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now