Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Bird just flew into my window - - what do I do?

(18 Posts)
atomicyoghurt Thu 27-Feb-14 10:22:38

I feel unusually pathetic along this but a big thrush type bird juts flew into my window and it was just sitting there under the window.

It looks OK... I put it in a shoebox with no lid on. I have no idea why.

What shall I do with it?

Bluestocking Thu 27-Feb-14 10:24:11

Put it somewhere where it's safe from cats. Maybe give it a little dish of water in case it needs a drink? Hope it gathers its wits and flies away safely! Good for you for taking care of it.

You are braver than me. My first thought on reading the title was "be glad it didn't come in the house! I am petrified of pigeons and seagulls!

atomicyoghurt Thu 27-Feb-14 10:30:23

I can't cope with flapping!

I'm here with 5madthings and we are at a loss. We gave it some breadcrumbs!

It didn't flap at all when I went out to pick it up.

Do you think it needs a blanket?

Pootles2010 Thu 27-Feb-14 10:32:16

It's probably in shock. Is it inside the house? If so, put a lid on! With air holes, obv. It'll probably suddenly come to its senses and start flapping about, then you can take it outside.

CocktailQueen Thu 27-Feb-14 10:32:18

No blanket!

Put it somewhere safe but where it can fly off when it feels ready.

Not much more you can do, I'm afraid sad

If birds regularly fly into your windows you can get bird silhouette stickers to put on the windows to help prevent this.

mrsjay Thu 27-Feb-14 10:32:18

it is maybe just stunned i would leave it is it alert enough maybe just trying to recover then fly off I wouldnt put a blanket on it

MissMilbanke Thu 27-Feb-14 10:33:08

I will probably be OK.

Just leave it somewhere out of range and when its headache is better it will probably fly off.

( I have a lot of big glass windows in my sun room)

Blackcathaireverywhere Thu 27-Feb-14 10:33:54

I would just leave it completely alone. I've seen it happen a few times and they seem to get dazed for a while (quite a while - an hour or so)....when pull themselves together and fly away and live happily ever after.

StyleOverSubstance Thu 27-Feb-14 10:34:34

Happens here from time to time, we just leave bird to recover and keep a weather eye on it to make sure that cats don't get it. Try not to handle it or cover it over as it may frighten it even more. Poor thing!

atomicyoghurt Thu 27-Feb-14 10:35:51

live happily ever after

Hahaha.

5madthings Thu 27-Feb-14 10:36:25

It's just sat quietly in the shoe box, I wondered about bringing it into the front porch for a bit, so it can warm up? And then if it starts to look ok open the door so it can fly out?

I dont much like flappy birds.

It seems very docile just sat there.

TheresNoMeWithoutYou Thu 27-Feb-14 10:36:46

Hopefully it is just stunned. I had a wood pigeon come through my window...... glass everywhere. Blood on the carpet, ceiling and wall. It was injured but came to and flew around the room. I went to the local garage, mechanic looked at me all hmm came to help, saw the size of it and said I am going to need something to catch it in grin. Twas huge and pissed off.

justanuthermanicmumsday Thu 27-Feb-14 10:41:27

we used to get baby sparrows falling of factory roof into our back garden all through childhood come spring it would always happen. We would keep them in box with cotton wool bedding, but water wet, bread or seeds. then when ready to fly we'd release them. Ahh brings back memories

atomicyoghurt Thu 27-Feb-14 10:44:22

Update: it's still there.

5madthings Thu 27-Feb-14 10:55:38

It doesn't look hurt, I am sat out the front to have a fag!

We have given it som bread crumbs but it doesn't seem interested. Its just staying in the box which we have put under the garden bench.

5madthings Thu 27-Feb-14 11:52:43

update...its had a poo and now hopped out of the box and is sitting under the bench

StarGazeyPond Thu 27-Feb-14 11:58:33

It was obviously stunned. Looks as though it will be ok now, hopefully.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now