Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

So scared, man been peering throug my window tonight. Won't be able to sleep now.

(290 Posts)
Confusedaboutstatements Mon 24-Feb-14 22:53:14

Was sat in the living room at around 8 with my sister and we saw a shadow of a man at the window in the garden, and a face then peering in the window. We went upstairs to look out of upstairs window and there was a man walking off slowly.

We rang the police and have a description and said we didn't need a visits but I have since read something on local news website that a man matching the description exactly of this man attacked a woman not far from here last week in the middle of the afternoon after peering in her window. You honestly couldn't get a more exact match description wise, same build, same height (quite short) hat, colour, jacket etc.

So now obviously I can't sleep, there is only myself my sister and four children here, no man.

Someone tell me he won't come back? Surely he wouldn't now would he?

youarewinning Mon 24-Feb-14 22:54:22

Call the police back if your concerned. Explain your vulnerable and ask for visit.

janey1234 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:55:58

Agreed. Am sure that even if it was the same man he saw you weren't alone and disappeared, but if you're worried just get the police over. Can't do any harm...

Bakingnovice Mon 24-Feb-14 22:56:10

You poor thing. I'm scared just reading that.

I doubt he will be back. He will have seen the house full and hopefully gone away. Can the police not come and do a check of the area?

cithkadston Mon 24-Feb-14 22:56:59

Oh gosh, I'd be scared too sad

I agree with youarewinning, give the police a call. Do you have neighbours very nearby or is your house quite isolated?

Joules68 Mon 24-Feb-14 22:58:55

Report it properly

Sorry, but sounds like he's been watching you and maybe didn't expect your sister to be there?

If he's still watching then a visible police presence might scare him off. They can also do a security check for you

gamerchick Mon 24-Feb-14 22:58:56

he was casing... take extra precautions.. make sure your doors are locked, even if you're in the house and yes keep the police informed.

Let your neighbours know so they don't get knocked off.

ancientbuchanan Mon 24-Feb-14 22:58:59

He will have seen there are people in the house and won't take the risk.

But I know I would leave lights on overnight.

capsium Mon 24-Feb-14 22:59:16

I doubt he'd do anything with that amount of people in the house. Lock your doors, close your curtains and booby trap all entrances with random furniture, Lego bricks, toy cars etc! Phone by bed.

curiousgeorgie Mon 24-Feb-14 23:00:41

If you're worried call the police again and say you want someone to come out, I would.

Just make sure all doors and windows are locked and leave a couple of lights on!

Confusedaboutstatements Mon 24-Feb-14 23:02:35

We have neighbours all around us, we are actually in the middle of the street which is strange I would have expected an end house to be targeted. I think the police may have suspected it to be the same man as they asked me if I had notices a vehicle around and this man that attacked the woman last week had ran into a nearby car after the attack.

I don't want to ring the police again unless something else happens. But I'm just wondering why this house, all the lights were on and he would have seen us through the window. It's just so bizarre.

I'm hoping he wouldn't come back now as he must know we saw him and have his description, hopefully. Oh gosh it's going to be a long night.

Joules68 Mon 24-Feb-14 23:03:42

Don't attempt to 'booby trap' anywhere op... If you need to get out or get help in quickly then it's all a potential hazard in the midst of a panic

Keep phone on you

Confusedaboutstatements Mon 24-Feb-14 23:04:42

The police said they were sending some officers out to look around the area.

Joules68 Mon 24-Feb-14 23:05:23

It's not the house he's targeting.... Sorry, but it's you ( most likely IMO)

Are you usually alone in the house with the dc? Does your sister live with you?

cithkadston Mon 24-Feb-14 23:07:00

I think you should definitely report it properly and say you want a police officer to come out to your home.

Also, contact as many neighbours as possible and let them know what has happened.

LegoCaltrops Mon 24-Feb-14 23:09:17

Do you have a pushchair or similar large-ish but moveable item you could put against the door? Close all stairgates (if you have any) and doors. Put things across the external doorways, eg draught excluders, anything innocent and normal but that could trip someone up in the dark. Probably, nothing will happen & you'll just have a bit of a sleepless night. But, knowing there are physical barriers in the way of any intruders could help your peace of mind.

Confusedaboutstatements Mon 24-Feb-14 23:10:07

My sister doesn't live here no. The man that attacked the woman last week lived alone also. But I'm hoping it's just coincidence and is a different man. I don't want to tell the neighbours as I'm too scared to leave the house blush

The man last week that attacked the woman had an hammer with him and chased her out of the house. Oh god roll on daylight hours.

Confusedaboutstatements Mon 24-Feb-14 23:10:37

Yes I am usually alone with the DC.

How scary.

Confusedaboutstatements Mon 24-Feb-14 23:11:32

The woman lived alone not the man

Joules68 Mon 24-Feb-14 23:12:31

You said he fitted description very well

The police need to come out and have a look around. He won't be walking the streets with a hammer but he might have stashed it somewhere

Police can do hourly drivebys through the night but you need to call them back

Blu Mon 24-Feb-14 23:12:46

OP are you in Kent? I know someone who had this exact same thing happen last week, in Kent.

Lj8893 Mon 24-Feb-14 23:12:52

I think you should call a police officer out to your home, if this man is still around he needs to see that you are aware of his presence and the police are aware also. Hopefully that will be enough to put him off.

EasyCompadre Mon 24-Feb-14 23:13:12

How scary for you, definitely call back the police and tell them you're feeling scared and vulnerable and would like a visit/visible police presence in your street tonight. If you know any neighbours numbers/are Facebook friends etc just give them a quick warning, for their safety and also to keep an eye out for each other. Check all doors and windows are locked and keep some lights on overnight, maybe you and your sister could share a bed tonight to keep each other company while you're feeling shaken? If you have a tv/radio in your bedroom I would keep it on, volume low, so you're not second guessing any innocent noises you hear.

cithkadston Mon 24-Feb-14 23:13:59

If it was me I couldn't just leave it at this, especially as you normally live alone and he could come back at any point. Please contact the police again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now