Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Should I go to A&E or will I be wasting their time- ovary/lower abdominal pain

(94 Posts)
TheAwfulDaughter Wed 19-Feb-14 22:27:05

Since I had my coil fitted in November, I have had absolutely crippling pain on and off on one side of my abdomen. Sometimes it is just niggly and feels like flutters, sometimes I don't feel it and sometimes I am doubled over panting.

I have been back to my GP since then to have it checked and they have said there is no sign of rejection, and apart from the pain, I've taken to it beautifully confused

The week the pain has got worse and more frequent, I went to see a doctor yesterday as I was walking by the walk-in centre at the right time and she checked my coil and had a good old rummage. She said she was concerned about my ovary, so has sent off the paperwork to the local hospital to have a scan. As part of the examination she pressed down really hard on side to check. The pressing didn't hurt too much, but for the past 24 hours I have had the throbbing pain on one side.

I've been at work all day and on my feet, but since coming home, sitting down and just 'experiencing' it, I am squirming as I write this.

I thought it was the coil, I stupidly never thought this pain could be my ovary. I've taken some ibuprofen but it just won't do anything for it.

I am really worried. I don't live far from the local hospital (about a £6 taxi journey away). Would I be wasting their time if I went. I thought of phoning NHS direct but when I have phoned them before about my pain they have just told me to go get my coil checked.

Please help sad

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 19-Feb-14 22:28:11

I have also had bleeding after sex in the past fortnight which has never happened before

Tommy Wed 19-Feb-14 22:30:01

can you bear it until the morning when you can go to GP?
it's not really an accident or an emergency is it? I always think that if you have to think whether you should go to A&E or not, you don't need to go

Twighlightsparkle Wed 19-Feb-14 22:30:16

I think you should, they may be able to diagnose what's wrong or at the very least give you some proper pain refief

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 19-Feb-14 22:32:06

Tommy The GP won't be able to do anything though, which is why I was thinking A&E, they have already sent the paperwork off to book my scan. I'm not a doctor but I assume the scan is the next step confused

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 19-Feb-14 22:33:26

If you're not able to wait until morning, try the out of hours GP?

Doesn't sound like an accident or an emergency tbh.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 19-Feb-14 22:34:24

If the pain is unbearable and you can't wait to see you doctor in the morning, then yes go to a and e.g. hope it's nothing seriousthanks brew

BigArea Wed 19-Feb-14 22:36:04

Nobody can state it's not an emergency - I had a pelvic infection resulting from the coil which went from nightly to excruciating very quickly and could have killed me if untreated. I'd phone NHS direct if I were you - a nurse can run through their list of questions and advise you what to do. Best be safe OP

BigArea Wed 19-Feb-14 22:36:36

*niggly - bloody phone

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 19-Feb-14 22:37:01

I assume the gp either did a pregnancy test, or told you to do one? You need to exclude the possibility of ectopic pregnancy (which certainly is an emergency).

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 22:37:37

I would personally go to bed with a hot wheaty and go to gp in the morning.

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 19-Feb-14 22:37:56

Being 20 and childless, this pain AND a stabbing twisting pain in my ovary does seem to be a bit of an emergency in my head. I understand why it doesn't seem like a big deal to others though sad

I could wait til morning I think if I take some mefenamic acid, paracetamol and sleeping tablets but it doesn't change the fact that I am hurting for a reason and I don't know why

InPursuitOfOblivion Wed 19-Feb-14 22:38:15

I completely disagree with everybody here. Go to A and E now!
This could actually be very serious.

If it turns out that, no, it's just you being a bit whimpy. Who fucking cares? There are a million people taking the piss out of A and E departments. You on your own is just a piss in the ocean.

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 19-Feb-14 22:38:25

I did a test at the GP, definitely not pregnant.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 22:39:02

Having read above posts though, if the pain is truly extreme you really have no choice other than a&e.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 19-Feb-14 22:41:15

There is a possibility of a ruptured ovarian cyst or something like that with extreme pain.

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 19-Feb-14 22:41:32

It's not extreme, I have had this pain for months and I'm not in the doubled over stage. It is probably about a 3 on the pain scale, but constant and fluttery. Never had it like this before.

RawCoconutMacaroon Wed 19-Feb-14 22:42:11

If you are in a lot of pain, go to A&E, it is not wasting anyone's time- it is perfectly reasonable to go. It may be an emergency or it may not... You won't know unless you get checked out.

TheAwfulDaughter Wed 19-Feb-14 22:42:16

Going to call NHS direct and see what they think

TheDailyWail Wed 19-Feb-14 22:42:35

I had an increasingly bad pain in my stomach. Went to the GP as I thought I could feel the top of my coil. GP was useless. Booked me for a scan for a calcified spot that she could see. I asked to see the nurse and she diagnosed me correctly (coil was dislodged) and I had the coil removed later that day. The pain subsided within the hour.

I would go to A&E.

IamInvisible Wed 19-Feb-14 22:42:56

I agree with Tommy, I am of the mindset that if you have to think about going or not, you don't really need to go.

If you did go tonight it would be highly unlikely they would do a scan.

I would probably go to the GP in the morning, they can refer you to the Gynae on call team and you can be seen that day if they deem it necessary.

Monty27 Wed 19-Feb-14 22:44:57

GO, NOW

If you feel that bad, don't walk to the hospital.... RUN

That's my mantra OP, you never know what it could be!

Now just get there please! pretty please

enriquetheringbearinglizard Wed 19-Feb-14 22:45:53

If you are in pain and worried go to A&E and get checked.
It might be something completely unrelated to your coil. My DD has been dismissed by the hospital several times over a 2 year period and ended up an emergency admission having two major operations in the last 8 months.

The point being if you're worried go and let the professionals look properly.

RedFocus Wed 19-Feb-14 22:45:59

I would go to A&E now tbh, being in such terrible pain is telling you something is very wrong.
Hope whatever it is gets sorted out and you have a quick recovery.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 19-Feb-14 22:46:29

But she doesn't feel that bad. She's written a nice coherent OP and said that the pain is about a 3. Presumably out of 10.

A&E is for accidents. And emergencies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now