Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Vegetarian dishes to go with Yorkshire puddings?

(24 Posts)
Whoateallthecheese Wed 19-Feb-14 19:26:39

Looking for some inspiration. Haven't had Yorkshire puds in years, mainly because I'm veggie and don't know what to serve them with! I don't eat sausages - veggie or not - so they're out. Any suggestions?
Tia!

figgypuddings Wed 19-Feb-14 19:28:22

A nice lentil, onion and veg bake? (with mashed or saute potatoes on top and cheese)

MrsPnut Wed 19-Feb-14 19:30:18

I have made a kind of toad in the hole with balls of stuffing instead of sausages.

You could also make yorkshires and serve veggie chilli in them.

ravenAK Wed 19-Feb-14 19:30:39

Use chunks of field mushrooms instead of sausages to make toad in the hole? Yum.

Vickiyumyum Wed 19-Feb-14 19:31:24

Just roast veggies in gravy inside a giant yorkie. Or cauliflower cheese with spinach through it and yorkie. I really hate nut roasts etc. you could have a quorn fillet/fake chicken breast with roast potatoes veg etc.

Springcleanish Wed 19-Feb-14 19:31:41

Serve with roast potatoes, loads of veg and veggie stuffing. Roast without the meat - my favourite.
Also large ones nice stuffed with roast veg and goats cheese.

NymodigFruOla Wed 19-Feb-14 19:31:42

I do Veg In The Hole - like toad in the hole, but I use lightly stir-fried onions, peppers, leeks and mushrooms (but you can use veg of your choice). OK, it's not quite the same as individual Yorkshire puds, but still delicious.

clarinsgirl Wed 19-Feb-14 19:32:10

Serve with golden syrup ��

hugoagogo Wed 19-Feb-14 19:32:57

No sausages! shock

What about veggie burgers? with mash and leeks and onion gravy.

Failing that, chick pea and spinach curry in a giant pud would be pretty wonderful.

clarinsgirl Wed 19-Feb-14 19:33:23

Oh I mean, serve with golden syrup grin

DisappointedHorse Wed 19-Feb-14 19:34:52

I serve a veggie stew inside giant yorkshire ouddings.

It includes pearl barley, leeks, carrots, mushrooms, swede and courgette usually.

DisappointedHorse Wed 19-Feb-14 19:35:13

Puddings even.

My family and I are veggie.
My favourite dinner is a big Yorkshire pudding (of the frozen variety) filled with cous cous and topped with grated cheese.
I make the cous cous with a veg oxo cube in the water before putting the cous cous in.

It's the dogs'
I know that makes me sound like a useless mother but we all love it.

clarinsgirl Wed 19-Feb-14 19:38:00

Saut� mushrooms and leeks and add to a cheese sauce, serve in the yorkshires.

KinkyDorito Wed 19-Feb-14 19:41:17

stew: carrots, swede, parsnips, onion, celery, butter beans, quorn pieces if you eat those, cooked in stock with vege gravy to thicken served with or in yorkshires.

Just had this for tea.

KinkyDorito Wed 19-Feb-14 19:41:54

whereare I am making that!!!!

SadOldGit Wed 19-Feb-14 19:42:31

I am veggie family not - we have full roast and veg - so I have roast pots and parsnips, mashed pots, carrots, brocoli, cauliflower cheese. with yorkies. .........lovely. and at christmas have had butternut squash roast, onion gravy and yorkshires

KinkyDorito Wed 19-Feb-14 19:47:49

DSis is here - she does quorn mince, grated carrots, onion and an oxo cube with a little water that reduces, serves in a giant yorkshire with gravy, veges and roasted potatoes. I will also be making this now.

I love this thread grin.

ReadyToPopAndFresh Wed 19-Feb-14 20:10:45

mushroom toad in the hole sounds lovely! I like quorn roast and gravy with puds

cmt1375 Wed 19-Feb-14 20:12:27

courgettes in home made tomato sauce is great with Yorkshire puddings

Whoateallthecheese Thu 20-Feb-14 10:09:37

Oh yum, these all sound amazing, thank you!

Elllimam Thu 20-Feb-14 10:14:31

Quorn roast is actually quite nice, we do a full roast dinner with quorn roast and yorkshires xx

RunRunRuby Thu 20-Feb-14 10:15:46

Yorkshire puddings and cheesy leeks is my absolute favourite. Just steamed leeks cooked in cheese sauce. Mmmm.

sanssoleil Thu 20-Feb-14 11:06:45

Ratatouille? There is a french dish gougeres-that is a cheese choux pastry that is really good to serve to most vegetarians,

Yorkshires suiffed with garlicky mushrooms and a basil,tomato,mozzarella side salad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now