Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

When you're on the motorway and it says 100 miles to London...

(14 Posts)
ChazzerChaser Wed 19-Feb-14 13:41:56

Where are they measuring to? I said the centre but what's the centre of London? Is it to some old historic measuring point or something?

whenwilltherebegoodnews Wed 19-Feb-14 13:43:15

Historically the post office in the centre I think?

worm77daisy Wed 19-Feb-14 13:44:06

The post office by Trafalgar Square

I thought it was the statue outside Charing Cross Station although I may have been on glue when I heard that.

OldRoan Wed 19-Feb-14 13:44:42

I think it is a point between Trafalgar Square and Charing Cross.

magimedi Wed 19-Feb-14 13:45:26

I always thought it was Apsely House, which goes by the address of: No 1, London.

My father always said the same - the GPO. Ours is an office building now. Was there ever one GPO in London? I'd imagine that in a competition you'd be looking at the one in the City.

eurochick Wed 19-Feb-14 13:46:38

I thought it was the statue outside Charing X too.

Weegiemum Wed 19-Feb-14 13:48:05

<Geography teacher hat on>

Historically the GPO.

In London I think it's now Trafalgar Square but I might be out of date.

<hat off again>

Its a plaque on the ground south of Trafalgar Square where the statute of Charles I is. That is the site of the original Eleanor Cross (Charing Cross).

ChazzerChaser Wed 19-Feb-14 13:52:14

Interesting, thank you. Post office makes sense historically. Perhaps they should move it round like the capital of culture. They could have a plaque and street party when it's their turn

OldRoan Wed 19-Feb-14 13:53:07

Ten points to Chaz:

BBC article

I think I looked it up for a pub quiz years ago and it stuck in my mind blush

threepiecesuite Wed 19-Feb-14 14:12:41

I wondered this too. I knew about the gold plaque in Plaza del Sol in Madrid and the French one is at the front of Notre Dame, bug never knew the London one. I think they should make more of a thing of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now