Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Straw poll: To send thank you cards after a reception class birthday party? Yey or nay?

(26 Posts)
PickyParty Wed 19-Feb-14 13:21:45

Just that really, have hosted a 5th birthday party and have sent out thank you cards to those that came and brought a gift for DD.

So would you have / do you send out thank yous?

SunnyRandall Wed 19-Feb-14 13:23:14

I always do. Just a pre-printed one that dc sign. Most people don't though.

JabberJabberJay Wed 19-Feb-14 13:23:15

Yes.

BackforGood Wed 19-Feb-14 13:23:28

No

SunnyRandall Wed 19-Feb-14 13:23:41

Most of dc friends I mean.

WeeClype Wed 19-Feb-14 13:26:37

No

PickyParty Wed 19-Feb-14 13:32:33

Hmm, even split at the moment!

IdRatherPlayHereWithAllTheMadM Wed 19-Feb-14 13:35:28

yes it helps teach writing, thank you of course and ...a small token to the poor mum who has been out to buy the gift...

HawkeyeInChaos Wed 19-Feb-14 13:36:58

Yes

Fleta Wed 19-Feb-14 13:38:24

Yes - I think its polite if they came and even more so if they bought a gift!

Quenelle Wed 19-Feb-14 13:43:46

DS hasn't had a party yet but of the reception children whose parties he's been to, approx 50% have sent cards. I always send a thank you text to the mum after the party and they often reply with thanks for the present then.

EasterHoliday Wed 19-Feb-14 13:44:33

God yes.
and it's also rather nice to send a text to the host.

PickyParty Wed 19-Feb-14 13:47:28

Moving toward the yes side now.

I gave them out but had some surprised looks from some other mums. I know it isn't the done thing here because DD has been to about 6 parties since September and haven't had any thank you cards (not that I mind at all, DD loves parties and I'm more than happy to send a gift) but felt I wanted to send them.

BEEwitched Wed 19-Feb-14 13:47:56

No.

The "poor mum whose been out to buy a gift" is a bit mad - its a lot more work hosting a party than buying a gift, and most kids love to attend parties; you see enough threads on here about the upset of never being invited!

I've never received a thank you note for a gift given at a party and never want to, thanks is said in person, and a pre-printed note means very little, its a huge waste of paper!

A couple of times we've been given prints of photos from the party though, and we've copied the idea - its something that is actually interesting and fun to have, but it isn't necessary, just a nice surprise.

NinjaCow Wed 19-Feb-14 13:49:35

No. I would expect my DC to have said thank you then and there, so no need. In fact, I've never received a thank you card in my life, or sent one.

Viviennemary Wed 19-Feb-14 13:54:06

No. Unless it is already the norm in your area in which case yes. But why start this. Then everyone else will feel they have to follow suit.

MrsExtraOrdinary Wed 19-Feb-14 14:00:19

No!!!! shock Not another thing to have to do and then forget and feel a failure at!

PickyParty Wed 19-Feb-14 14:17:17

FWIW I wrote out thank you notes on, rather than a pre-printed card and DD helped too. Each note was different, thanking them for coming and their particular gift.

nowwearefour Wed 19-Feb-14 14:18:42

Of course

PickyParty Wed 19-Feb-14 14:24:37

Viviennemary Wed 19-Feb-14 13:54:06
No. Unless it is already the norm in your area in which case yes. But why start this. Then everyone else will feel they have to follow suit

This is what I'm now worried about, I suspect the other mums now kind of hate me confused for starting it.

I just can't conceive of receiving such lovely presents and people coming out of their way on a weekend to our party and not sending a thank you. I spoke to every parent there, and thanked them for coming, but sendign a thank you seems the proper thing to do.

Think I may have cocked up though!

MrsExtraOrdinary Wed 19-Feb-14 20:56:54

I have 5dc have been to many many children's parties and hosted many many children's parties. I've never received a thankyou note or sent one for such a party. Relatives we don't see often do get thankyou notes, but if you can thank them in person which you definitely did, that is quite enough. Nobody expects any more.

However my dsis probably would do this and make her ds write each note individually.

MrsExtraOrdinary Wed 19-Feb-14 20:58:45

I have also noticed over the years parties are less often than they used to be. Idont think so many people can afford them. The fact that you've put on such a lovely party for all dc to enjoy is a real treat.

Viviennemary Wed 19-Feb-14 21:07:02

Oh well never mind. People will just think you are extra nice and polite. I would anyway. Nobody will hate you!!

Cringechilli Wed 19-Feb-14 21:11:54

Yes. I don't monitor who sends thank you cards and who doesn't after a party but I do know that we have received quite a few. I send them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now