Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

Please stop 'rocking up' to places/people/things .

(138 Posts)
WeeSleekit Wed 19-Feb-14 12:37:15

Yes I am grumpy and mean but there is something about the phrase 'rocking up' which does my head in. It's like something a 'sassy' Loose Woman would say. There, have said it now.

Greenmug Wed 19-Feb-14 12:57:54

Er, ok? [smile]

Rocking up doesnt bother me too much. However hearing someone describe something as 'trendy' or 'funky' makes me groan out loud.

WhoNickedMyName Wed 19-Feb-14 12:58:52

Well I'm glad it doesn't give you "the rage".

southeastastra Wed 19-Feb-14 12:59:24

i hate people who have a 'cheeky' vimto or whatever

WeGotAnnie Wed 19-Feb-14 12:59:30

Its a cockney/old school London saying. I like it.

missingmumxox Wed 19-Feb-14 12:59:57

I agree, it should be wobble along

sebsmummy1 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:00:45

Oh these sayings that are now ' on trend' smile

tabbycat7 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:00:56

I don't like it either. I also detest play date and down time. Fgs just say you're watching telly. Also cupcake. They are fairy cakes!!! Unless you are American, in which case I will let you off.

SundaySimmons Wed 19-Feb-14 13:01:10

I agree.

But I'm old.

Rocking up is what I imagine an old person says to make them feel young.

I'm out of touch with these phrases and expressions. I asked a bewildered young girl to leave my friends boutique some years ago when she started declaring some of the clothing to be 'sick'.

Can we still say 'leg it'? I like that.

WeeSleekit Wed 19-Feb-14 13:03:29

Using the words trendy and funky marks you out as the complete opposite!
Is it really cockney?!

tabbycat7 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:04:25

Ooh cheeky too!! Also funky and bang on trend, product when used to describe shampoo or whatever, and awesome unless something actually is. Usually things are not. That includes dn, dsis.

SundaySimmons Wed 19-Feb-14 13:04:36

'Cheeky' xxxxxx

Yes, that is awful!

Weegiemum Wed 19-Feb-14 13:05:26

I often 'rock up' to places as my disability makes me pretty unsteady sometimes. Better rocking up than falling arse over tit into!

Nancy66 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:06:47

I'm with you on this one WeeSleekit - hate it too.

I also wish people would stop being 'in bits' - upset will do just fine

tabbycat7 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:06:51

Giggling at sick clothing

WeeSleekit Wed 19-Feb-14 13:07:49

grin Weegiemum, fair enough.

Gladvent Wed 19-Feb-14 13:08:51

I am a bit meh about it.

BrunoBrookesDinedAlone Wed 19-Feb-14 13:09:46

A step up from 'legging it' is 'pegging it'.

I might really get the rage if that one rocked up to me

Only1scoop Wed 19-Feb-14 13:11:22

I live 'rock up' ....normally use in some sarcastic/amusing conversation though

Enjoy 'pitch up' more though

Viviennemary Wed 19-Feb-14 13:11:41

Nobody I know says this. Hmm what does that mean. Still I wouldn't object. I think it's quite quirky. People say such a person rolled up at such a time if they are not very punctual or reliable.

Only1scoop Wed 19-Feb-14 13:11:42

Should be Love confused

Weegiemum Wed 19-Feb-14 13:14:09

I suppose I pitch too! Don't ships pitch about in a storm? Sometimes I feel like that maybe it's the wine

grin

UnderYourCommand Wed 19-Feb-14 13:15:30

'Rocking up' - really sick/sad/baaad...whateva.

Vegging out - really gets me when late teens/students say it. "Vegging out, from WHAT exactly? You couldn't be more vegetable like if you tried! You seem to be at that odd stage where despite being in the rudest of health actually walking anywhere is physiologically beyong you." Sort of thing.

"I'll patch you through". No you won't, you'll connect my call to the relevant department. You're in a call centre in Basinstoke, not a 'theatre of operations' in Helmand Province.

SecretSix Wed 19-Feb-14 13:15:56

My DSD's favourite word at the moment is 'take' as in "I'll take a Fanta". Listening to Sheldon's mum on TBBT too much! grin Hoping it's a phase...

WeeSleekit Wed 19-Feb-14 13:18:36

Nope, none of these other phrases bug me as much. It's a visceral thing that I can't quite explain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now