Please note that threads in this topic are removed from the archive 90 days after the thread was started. If you would like your thread to be retrievable for longer than that, please choose another topic in which to post it.

What does your dog think about?

(58 Posts)
Chrysanthemumtea Wed 19-Feb-14 11:43:44

Mine had head on my lap having a stroke, purring (except he's a dog not a cat, but still, def a purr!) and thinking about...? Well probably thinking about when he'll next get a biscuit, but ideas other than that?

Slebmum Wed 19-Feb-14 11:45:59

Walk. Ball. Squirrel. Ball. Food. Ball. Tummy stroke. Ball. Postman. Ball. Ball. Ball. Ball ad infinitum.

Not a bad life reallysmile

Floralnomad Wed 19-Feb-14 11:47:53

When we are out he is thinking about tennis balls ,when indoors he is thinking of next doors cat ( which he plans to eat)

EmotionalCrotch Wed 19-Feb-14 11:48:20

Toy
Toy
Toy
Toy
Toy
Bark
Bark
Bark
Toy
Bark
Toy
Toy
Bark
Bark
Toy
Bark
Bark
Toy
Sleep
Sleep with toy
Bark in sleep.

grin

PhantomMenace Wed 19-Feb-14 11:50:36

Mine definitely thinks of nothing but food and Barbies (his preferred toy). I even bought him one of his own for Christmas blush

liquidstate Wed 19-Feb-14 11:51:08

1 - roast chicken
2 - sausages
3 - my DH (he idolises him)

CMOTDibbler Wed 19-Feb-14 11:52:09

ball, toy, food, sleeeeep. Ooh, my friend cat. Sleeeeep. food. Running!

But mostly sleep.

Latara Wed 19-Feb-14 11:52:28

My cat thinks: must be with Latara, where is she? Must follow her, what is she doing. Oh, bird look I want to chase it. Another cat in MY garden, let me at it let me at it. Food where's my food. My tray isn't clean. Clean my litter tray so I can pee. Where's Latara, must be with her... cuddle up, sleep zzzzz.

QueenFuri Wed 19-Feb-14 11:54:34

Walk. Cheese. Ball. Walk.Walk. Cheese. The cat downstairs who he is terrified of. Walk and cheese. Oh and shadows its his number one mission in life too catch all the shadows hmm and eat all the cheese!grin

Latara Wed 19-Feb-14 11:56:00

Feed me now!

ThursdayLast Wed 19-Feb-14 11:56:44

Indoors - will everyone just shut up I'm trying to sleep...oh! Wait! Scraps! Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Outdoors - where are you? Come back! Everyone must be together at ALL TIMES
At night - I'm scared. I know what'll make me feel better, I'll go upstairs. WTF? Theres a gate in the way! I know, I'll press myself up against it and vibrate so it makes a noise all night long. Everyone will love that.

Shonajoy Wed 19-Feb-14 11:57:18

Park! Biscuit! Cuddle! And repeat....

littlewhitebag Wed 19-Feb-14 11:58:02

Food, walk, sleep, food, walk sleep, tummy rub, food, snooze, bed.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Follow her around and get under her feet in case she is getting food

Stick my head around the laptop screen in case she has food

Stand and bark at her when she is drinking coffee so she gives me some

Give her "the look" when coffee turns out to be tea

Stand by the back door in complete silence waiting for her to let me out for a wee - she is a mind reader after all

EmotionalCrotch Wed 19-Feb-14 12:05:02

That black bird noise means it needs my help!
It is being stalked by a cat.

Let me out! Let me out! Let me out! I have to get that cat.

Why am I not moving?
What is wrong with the floor?
Why are my feet moving on the spot?

That damn cat is going to get the bird I need to help it!!!

Oh look there's my toy. Look I have my toy! I am going to shake it so hard it bats off your foot making you prise it from my mouth and throw it for me. Toy toy toy I really love my toy.

mistlethrush Wed 19-Feb-14 12:07:06

Tummy rub. Chase potential cats out of garden. Back to bed, snooze, stretch, turn around, dream, sleep some more WALK TIME! (Squirrels???) RUN. Hmm breakfast? Snooze. Bit more breakfast - scraps? Snooze, stretch. Other people home TUMMY RUB! Scraps? Dinner (Carrots?) Scraps? Chew. Snooze. Play Snooze, chase potential cats out of the garden last thing. Bed.

dorothyparka Wed 19-Feb-14 12:07:17

Developing opposable thumbs and taking over the world
That and cheese grin

EmotionalCrotch Wed 19-Feb-14 12:10:21

Oh look old dog can't get out the door. Allow me to help by dragging her out by the scruff of the neck then I shall let the neighbours know we are out by barking all the way to the end of the garden and back till I find a toy under the bush then I am happy and wait till I see you sit down and stand on the step looking at you on the inside. Just looking at you with the toy in my mouth.

Chrysanthemumtea Wed 19-Feb-14 12:15:15

Haha! I think your dogs think more than mine. Mine is def thinking biscuit!

Sleep. Breakfast. Neck rub. Walk. Other dogs! Play with me! Mud. Liver cake. Tummy rub. Sleep. Dinner. Cuddles. Toy. Sleep.

Suzannewithaplan Wed 19-Feb-14 12:15:49

I don't believe that dogs think, at least not in any way that we would recognise as thought.

As per Wittgenstein, if a lion could talk we wouldn't be able to understand it.

I know this is a light hearted thread but really it illustrates the extent to which humans are unable to step outside of their anthropomorphism

Blithereens Wed 19-Feb-14 12:18:46

I often wonder what my cats think about. Do they think, 'Oh I am thirsty, must get a drink,' or is just more like 'drink now'?

If I had to guess, I'd say mine think, 'sleep, sleep, wash, drink, eat, fuss me hoomin, fuss me hoomin, STOP TOUCHING ME HOOMIN, I want to go out, I want to come in, I want to go out, I want to come in, I want to go out, I want to come in, I want to go out, I want to come in, I want to go out, I want to come in, food, drink, wash, hoomin, sleep.'

HavantGuard Wed 19-Feb-14 12:20:29

Youngest:

Ooh, a toy!
Chewy goodness
Ooh, what's that?
Can I eat it?
I can't quite reach.
If I bark at it this might help the situation
Ooh, a toy!

Repeat

Older one

Comfy warm
Stretchy warm
TOO WARM
<goes to lie on stone tiles>
Ahhh, that's better
That chair/sofa/dog bed looks comfy
Comfy warm

Repeat

Kendodd Wed 19-Feb-14 12:22:43

I have often wondered this myself.

When my dog is awake, sitting up, just staring into space, is she thinking? My husband thinks not, he thinks she just has a completely empty head with nothing going on inside.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now